iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking 1400 ???

Started by Ronnie, May 31, 2011, 09:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

I was going to get the new 1400 to cut for myself and run a small part time business but after watching the you tube video the log loader and turner look kind of cumbersome and wonder if I wouldn't be better off with the 1600 . I already ordered the 1400 but could upgrade. Do you guys think I could run a part time business with the 1400 or should bight the bullett and get the 1600 it's quiet a bit more money. Any advice would be great.

RP
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

paul case

ronnie,
could you run a part time custom sawing or saw logs for a market with a1400?  i am certian of it.
i am doing exactly that with a manual mill and we get along ok. i am not setting speed records but i am making some money and sawing quite a lot of lumber for neighbors and a couple local markets. it works well with my farm.
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kcwoodbutcher

I was down at Timberking last week talking to Will and I saw a 1600 getting ready to ship. They have improved quite a few things on it since they made mine,  The thing is a lot heftier.  The log turner was way better than what they offered on mine and should work great.  They have a few more horses for power and that should make things run a little faster and they offer a hydraulic log clamp.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

thecfarm

How much is quite a bit more money? What I mean is aggravation is worth alot to me. How much is it worth to you? The loader and tuner is something you will be using ALOT.  What is the pay back on it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jdonovan

Quote from: thecfarm on June 02, 2011, 06:29:32 AM
How much is quite a bit more money?

The 1400 runs about 12k, the 1600 is just about 20k.

I'm actively looking at the TK's and the 8k delta is hard to swallow between those 2 mills.

medic

Ronnie
   I'm not real familiar with the 1400(never seen one live, just the videos) but I do own a 1220 and I've been around a 1600 a lot.  To me the difference in cost going from the 1400 to the 1600 would be worth it.  Particularly if you plan on doing a lot of cutting for other folks.  If you're just cutting for yourself speed isn't that big an issue.  If the outside customers that you get are like most of the ones I run into they'll bring you a log(s) and want them cut yesterday so how quickly you can get them done starts to matter. 
My $0.02
Good luck
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

rph816

Why not look for a used B-20?  I have one and it is really nice to have all the hydraulics.  I also picked it up for about the price of a new 1400 (with less than 200 hours on it).  Loading and turning will gobble up more time than any other operation.  I spent about 5 hours on mine the other day (that includes setup, some minor maintenance and a long water break) and got about 1200 Bd.ft. (of mostly 1" stuff) cut up.  That is due entirely to the ability to quickly turn, toe, and clamp logs (I was cheating by loading with a skid loader, but with proper staging the loaders are faster).  You will never regret having the extra hydraulics.

Ryan

ladylake

A B20 will put out a lot of lumber fast, the only downside is it's 32" log limit.  Then there's a new TK2000 for around $24500 now, a lot of mill for the money.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

redbeard

I Chose the b-20 like ryan and steve have and Iam totally pleased with it. I searched and studied for a year plus. Always thinking how to save some money. I was 46 when I bought the b-20 and glad I chose hydralics. If your considering hydraulics then somthing is telling you to look further. I guess it could be compared to do you want power steering or manual steering on your new heavy duty truck. Its exspensive yes.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

Not as expensive as that new truck.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ronnie

Thanks for everybody's input. I had allready put the deposit down on the new 1400. I sent Matt at TK an e-mail and he was more than happy to change my order to the 1600. I would LOVE to have the 2000 but I better stop at 20K. Maybe I should have been more patient and found a larger used mill. Hopefully I can learn the trade and make some money with the 1600. If it becomes a money maker I can upgrade to a larger mill down the road. The mill should be here in 4-6 weeks. I live in a rural area just outside a very small town where there is a wood working shop he has allready gotten wind of the mill and is excited he wont have to drive several hours to get lumber any more. The local vet also got wind of the mill and has a large cedar log behind his office that has been sitting and wants it turned into lumber. I allready have two customers and I don't know a darned thing about milling wood!!! When I get the mill I will have a lot to learn before I am comfortable cutting for someone else. If anybody has any suggestions about things that may help with my learning curve I am all ears.   :P

Thanks again
Ronnie
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

Kcwoodbutcher

The best thing would be to visit someone with a mill and spend some time cutting.. There's nothing like hand's on experience.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Thank You Sponsors!