iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice New Mill

Started by skocienski, February 23, 2012, 09:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skocienski

Looking to buy new mill. Need your opinions here goes. 18HP briggs vanguard, 16 1/2 cut length, with trailer package 4700$.   or  woodmizer lt15 18HP kohler, same cut length, no trailer 6500$ plus tax. Im guessing but from reading the forum posts you guys always say buy the most motor you can afford and if i bought a mill for around 3500$ i would only get about 7-10HP and no trailer, and about 11 ft cut length! How good are the briggs compared to the kohler? Is there a big difference in fuel consumption and do they have cast iron sleeves? The first mill mentioned is built in western NY and runs on trailer tires, i think Lud has this mill. There is a big difference in money and will the trailer tired mills cut as good as the cast iron or steel band wheels? I guess the difference is about 2500$ approximately and i know woodmizers service is great but the mill for 2500$ less , parts can be bought at a regular auto parts store and the mill is called simplicity built by Bert Witzigman , hinsdale NY.   Or maybe you could suggest a better mill for this kind of money. Im only cutting for myself and plan to use mill for addition on camp and woodworking.

Nomad

Welcome to the Forum.  I'd suggest looking at some of the sites that specialize in selling used mills.  You might be able to get a lot more bang for your buck; either one being sold 'cause it just doesn't get used, or one being sold 'cause the owner is trading up.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum Skocienski  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) With the mil I would take the belted or solid steel/alloy wheels over a tyre setup but thats my personal preference as I have seen some tyre mills cut some bloody nice timber too Bill made a dang good point of there are alot of good used mills out there most only been lightly used in the smaller mill capacities but there are afew other manufactures that all build great mills in the side bar on the left Mate  ;):):)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ladylake

Welcome,  Both Kohler and Briggs make good commerceial engines depending the model No, also make cheaper models so I'd get the model No and check out how it's rated. I've never seen a mill run with tires but if they're bigger than 19"  blades life should be better, both belted and steel work well too. Also off the shelf parts are nice but both mills are simple and shouldn't require a lot of parts.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum skocienski.

Always good to see another NY'r join in.

Lots of times if you don't get in a big hurry, you can find a good deal on a used mill.

For example I got mine for a little over half of what they went for new at the time!

N.E., where abouts?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Skocieski

If your even close to Keeseville, NY take a run to the Timberking shop.

They were my second option, I went WM because they were closer to my home base and I preferred their trailer package,
even though I started with an LT-10.

You'll get plenty of knowledge here.

Best
DGDrls

eastberkshirecustoms

Welcome Skocieski. Looks like the NY boys are on the rise!

dgdrls, I wasn't aware that TK had a dealer in Keeseville. I haven't seen them at the Empire Farm Days in a few years and just assumed it was too far for them to travel in today's economy.

Thank You Sponsors!