iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer Service Tour

Started by gfadvm, June 10, 2014, 09:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfadvm

How do I get signed up for this service for my LT15? Everything is currently working like it's supposed to but I'd like to keep it that way and I'm not a sawmill mechanic by any means (changing blades is the limit of my skills!)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

Thanks MM. Now I really feel stooopid! Why didn't I think of that?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Nope, not stoopid at all.  We all learn and share together.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Gfad, the WM service is very good but it taint cheap. Every sawyer should be the master of his own house. Study the manual and buy any tools you need to set and adjust your mill. The 15 is about as simple a mill as your going to find and not tricky to adjust. What you save on the service call will buy many new bands or take a big chunk out of a sharpener purchase. Only my opinion mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Same as Frank here, I'll work on any machine for the $50 to $100 a hour they charge.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

One advantage is that the serviceman has all of the necessary parts if it is discovered that something needs replacing.

I agree that sawmill owners need to be capable of making any and all replacements and adjustments.  If you do take advantage of the factory service, then pay close attention and ask questions.  The learning experience may be worth the cost.

GDinMaine

When I bought my mill I went through the alignment process as it is described in the book. Just so I know how to do it, in case of trouble.

The following year I signed up for the WM service route.  Bob - the WM tech - did about five times more maintenance and alignment work in about half the time it took me to do just the alignment.
When he left, the mill was all up to factory spec. He has the parts and many years of experience working on these machines.

He left around 1pm and it allowed me to hook up the mill and take it to the next job and start sawing.  I don't even know how much time I saved by spending the money, but sure seems worth it when the mill is running really good.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

gfadvm

Thanks for all the kind replies. My thinking is I'll pay for the service (if it's not outside my budget) the first time and try to learn enough by watching to do it myself from then on. In my profession, I'm used to paying for continuing education!

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on June 11, 2014, 07:59:39 AM
  The learning experience may be worth the cost.

I think what MM and others have said is that education is not cheap.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I may have previously said it but I do not buy a service package because I am always up to date on the normal service items.  My total hourly rate cost is ~$300 and with a service scheduled every three years, that is not bad.  That, plus I always learn something new.

Thank You Sponsors!