iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

Don't sit still too long. You will start making that strange noise. smiley_dozy_bored smiley_mellow smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Yes Sir, I sat down in my recliner after lunch and I am sure that I made that strange noise.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

When I sit down recliner and make strange noises, i figure that is when I'm in my operator's seat sawing logs. :D  smiley_sleeping :D smiley_sleeping :D smiley_sleeping 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Skipper11A

Brad, that sure looks like Black Jack Oak to me.  Black Jack Oak makes the most beautiful counter tops, table tops, and posts that I've ever seen.  I cut thick at 6/4 to 12/4 and cut 6x6 posts.  At 6/4 they do tend to warp a little but the 12/4 and up they are very stable.  When you finish them, use clear satin polyurethane and the color will pop right out of them, and you won't believe the depth of color.  I spend a lot of time planning my cuts with Black Jacks because doing it just right can be spectacular (I get the whole family out to see how beautiful they are and everyone takes pictures, everytime!).  I always saw through the pith to expose the ray's.  If the tree is only big enough to make a 6x6 cant I saw the cant in half to expose the quarter sawn heartwood and that's the side I want to show off.

WLC

No pics, but been sawing out the material for a solar kiln build I want to start as soon as the ground thaws all the way out in a week or two.  2X6's, 2X8's, some 1X4's and will cut the rest of the 2X4's I need next week. We are having a spruce bark beetle outbreak which is similar to a SPB infestation down south and I cut and dragged logs till I got snowed out last fall.  Cutting them up now.  Next project will be cutting 2X6's and whatever side lumber i get out of the rest of the pile, then back to logging in my spare time.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

4x4American

MM on your set screw problem the way I do is it take a chisel and booger up the threads in one or three spots (just not the tip obviously) and then run it in real tight.  Works real good.   My cooks edger rattles quite a bit with that lil perkins in it and thats what I do with all the problem bolts.
Boy, back in my day..

Skipper11A

Magicman, do you have to sit on one of those doughnut shaped pillows to avoid getting hemorrhoids while you saw?  Bucking those logs is some serious work though, work safe.  And great pics.

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Skipper11A on April 15, 2018, 01:22:52 AMMagicman, do you have to sit on one of those doughnut shaped pillows to avoid getting hemorrhoids while you saw?  

teeter_totter :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Dave Shepard

I'm sawing some really nice pine for a barn project. I have implemented new policies at the mill. I only buy delivered, I don't buy junk, and I pay more. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

homesteader shane

on my way to a milling job this weekend and the local greeting committee came out to meet me. I introduce you to Hazel the Havelock moose . I sawed many times at this site and it went well but I thought the moose  was neat

Darrel

Thanks for the introduction. We don't see many moose in Oregon. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

I made the 230 mile drive yesterday afternoon and continued sawing timbers this morning.

The telehandler has already taken one load of timbers out and this load is ready to leave tomorrow morning.  12X12's, 4X6's & 3½X4's.  They have at least 6 more trees to fell so I know that I will be here for at least two more days.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Alan gage, there's only one way to learn...keep sawing.  Before you know it you'll be able to visualize what you can get out of a lot.  My first logs I used to measure, measure, measure.  I still do when I wan to center the pith, but it goes a lot faster now.  Not much agonizing like at first.  You'll find a log will generally tell you what it wants to be.  I have a range of products in mind when cutting.  

Here's some more Black Jack Oak from this morning.

I know some guys will splash water on their wood, but I ain't got time fo dat!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Skipper11A

Brad, you hit the jackpot with that black jack oak.  My wife agrees that it's black jack so that settles it!  And to think that the guy thought it was only cherry!

WLC

Brad, that is AB SO LUTELY beautiful!  Will the colors fade much as it dries?
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Brad_bb

WLC,  I would think the colors would remain in an oak.  Woods like mulberry and Osage oxidize and darken quickly, but oaks don't seem to.  As the slab dries the surface roughness will reflect more light makin the color appear less, but as soon as you plane  or sand it and add a finish, it will pop out.  IN the second pic you can see some small quarter sawn fleck.  I cut through the pith on this secondary trunk.  I have the main trunk on the mill now and I'll get it cut up Wednesday morning.  It has a slight curve and an off center pith.  and on the small side some ant damage, but there's still good wood there.

Quebecnewf

Started up the mill for the first time this spring on Sunday. Was a nice day so rolled up some logs and started sawing. Just 8' stuff . Nothing exciting just 2x material and some 1" board.

Still lots of snow here yet

Hauling a couple loads of lumber home . The blue water in the background is where our ice bridge to the mainland was a few weeks ago . Still great snowmobiling on the mainland but no ice bridge left to cross.
Village shifting gears now and the crab fishing season will be in full swing in the next couple weeks

Quebecnewf

petefrom bearswamp

Still too cold for me to saw anything yet.
View out my window this mornin and supposed to be more comin

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

I sawed my first full size log on sunday. Very punky red oak. had some spalting in it. I was very happy with how the mill worked found 1 issue I need to fix.

Magicman

My customer got his sign up today.  The 10 units that are presently under construction and where I am set up sawing is in the lower right corner.

The "Cat" skidder just brought me another log.

The baby Cat is loading slabs.  Today's timber whack is to the right.

The skidder brings another.

And another.

So tomorrow's whack to saw has grown.  Several of those logs are well over 20" top end.  I have no idea if this will be enough or whether he will drop more trees??  Guess that I will find out tomorrow.   :)  I love portable sawing.

DPatton

I'd say your customer is loving you and your portable sawing business MM.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

I am certainly making him a good return on his investment.   :)

Magicman

I finished the 230 mile road trip yesterday afternoon.  I am also quite sure that I will be back when the customer needs more timbers, but his priority now is finishing the units that are under construction.  I did not keep up with the bf tally because the timbers were being moved out to keep the piles from getting too high.

I did take time out to remove the two blade guide arm set screws and add thread locker.  I had just tightened them last week and they were already loose again.  I cleaned them and the hole with carburetor cleaner.  I'll see how this works.

The final 12X12 is lifted off of the sawmill and onto the stack.

The final whack of timbers.  I was at this location for 6 days and worked a total of 53 hours.

Brad_bb

Are you tired?  Gonna rest awhile?

Magicman

Are you tired?  Yes.

Gonna rest awhile?  Yes.

For now I do not have a road trip on the book.  I have to knock out a couple of 1-6 log jobs before I start on a sorta big ERC/Cypress job.  The customer says about 4M but we will see.

Thank You Sponsors!