iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

changing Woodmizer sharpener from 10 degree to 9 degree blades

Started by gdingee, March 04, 2015, 06:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdingee

Because I had an abundance of hemlock, tamarack and cherry logs in my wood yard over the winter, I have changed from sawing with the 10 degree all purpose blades to using the 9 degree blades on the advice of the Woodmizer tech.

Very satisfied with the results especially in the hemlock- they  were big logs and some with fairly substantial knots- which were frozen solid here in New Brunswick's severe winter cold!! Wind chills regularly -30 C !!!

My problem- My Woodmizer and sharpener are 1998 or thereabouts models. I have the 9/29 cam wheel for sharpening these 9 degree blades but when I tried removing it, I found it would not budge. I sprayed WD 40 and let it set overnight but still not budging. The wrench which came with the sharpener, has actually spread apart so it now just slips off the nut.

The space between the cam and the motor is so narrow, a regular wrench will not fit. Looking for a solution to this problem.

Further to this difficulty, is there anything else I should do if I am successful in getting the 9/29 cam wheel installed? Do I have make any adjustments on the grind wheel? Actually the WM tech suggested I have a second wheel dressed just for the 9 degree blades. So I do have a new stone ready to go on.

As a worst case scenario, what happens if I grind my 9 degree blades using the 10 degree cam wheel ? Could i simply put on my new wheel and dress it to match the profile of the 9 degree? Ohh, if it could just be this simple!!

Chuck White

Good luck with your cam change!

I really have no idea, but could it be possible that the nut you're trying to remove is left-handed?

Should tell you in the book, if you happen to still have that!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DMcCoy

If you know the nut size you could grind a wrench thinner.

Jemclimber

WD40 is not very good at penetrating.  I'd try something better as well the other advise given, especially Chuck's suggestion.  Also, sometimes some light taps with a hammer on the end of the wrench will free it up.  Tapping in the correct direction of course. Good luck.
lt15

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jim_Rogers

I've changed my cam wheel several times. I think the nut in the back side that holds it in is something like a 15/16" and I used a socket to get in there and turn it.

You should have gotten a template to use between your motor and your clamp to set the motor/grinding wheel to 9°. You loosen the back nut and then the electric motor will adjust. I think the back nut is either 3/4" or 1".

Jim Rogers

x2 on blue creeper
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

yup, BlueCreeper to the rescue.  Makes me shudder to read about someone trying to use WD-40 for a good penetrating oil. Just knowing over the years how hopeless that really is ......  Hope the OP gets a chance to find some in time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

homesteader1972

My sharpener is older than yours, but I just recently changed my cam and it was tough as well. My cam has a allen bolt threaded thru the middle of the cam that screws into the motor. I put a tad of heat on it (allen bolt) with a benzo torch, held the cam in place with a wrench where the index arm mounts and backed out the allen bolt. Worked for me. Then installed the new one not as tight. I wondered also about reverse threads, but at least mine wasnt.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

dean herring

Down here in The South ,Aerokroil , it in a orange and on can it says "The oil that creeps" and it does.
Best I have ever used. p.s. it sprays better if you hold the upside down
WD-40 = Water Displacement 40.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Chuck White

A suggestion:  After you get the nut off, put a little antisieze compound on it before you reinstall it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gdingee

Thanks all for the replies. High winds on MOnday night and Tuesday then 10 more cm of snow last night have pretty much filled all my plowed out areas in the wood yard and the sugar bush. I have had to leave off wrestling with the sharpener for now. Having to plow and snowblow. Maple sap will be taking priority over sawing as well.

As suggested, I'll first get some penetrating oil to try loosening that nut.

In the meantime, I'll work away when time permits using the 10 degree blades.

Graydon

Thank You Sponsors!