iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flat Pack Blades or Regular Box....

Started by Dewey, July 21, 2015, 07:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

I just received another shipment of blades sent in the flat-pack style....
I really don't like it this way....  I know it's probably easier and cheaper to ship. but I find it a PIA. to un pack the blades...
What do you guys think ??

Magicman

My new WM blades have come in the flat box and I send the flat box to ReSharp, but the blades return in a cube.

My last box of 10 came back from ReSharp in an 18X18X26 box.  It appears that it would hold 15 blades which is fine with me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

I like the square box better than the flat box. In the flat box it can be difficult to separate the blades. However, I'm happy with the flat box if it means free shipping. ;D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Dave Shepard

I'd be really ticked off if they ever sent be bands in a cube. I don't like coiling and uncoiling .055" bands. The cubes also take up way too much room. I can stack ten  flat packs in the corner of my garage and it doesn't take up much room.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

I'm using .055 blades, and I agree that coiling them is a PITA.  I much prefer the flat pack.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

I like the flat pack of up to 15 and have no trouble handling them.  I routinely carry up to 30 or sometimes more blades with me.  I find the coiled cube style packaging convenient only for several blades and have seen that only twice when I bought a few blades to try out.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

I agree, I like the flat boxes especially for .055" blades, they are a pita to coil.  The space conservation is a plus for me too. 
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

I've never received blades in the cube.

I think I'd rather have the flat pack.

The flat pack is ok, just have to be careful and follow the unpacking instructions.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mine come in a cube, return to re-sharp in a cube and come back to me in a cube.
No complaints from me. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

boscojmb

Another vote for flat pack here.

I don't mind uncoiling bands, but shipping coiled bands in a "cube" box is way too expensive.

Some manufacturers offer free shipping. All free shipping means is that they raise the price per band to cover the shipping cost.

Shipping coiled bands by UPS or FedEx cost about double over flat pack.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

LeeB

Have to say I prefer the flat packs.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Coiled is the only way that I have ever handled and transported blades. 

Plus ten coiled blades fit into my Magic Can.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

I find that in the flat pack the first thing I do is flip the metal piece so that the slot is up, seems to be easier for me to take them apart.  I don't really care if they're coiled or not.  Just as long as the band is 158" and sharp.
Boy, back in my day..

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: 4x4American on July 21, 2015, 09:29:28 PM
I find that in the flat pack the first thing I do is flip the metal piece so that the slot is up, seems to be easier for me to take them apart.  I don't really care if they're coiled or not.  Just as long as the band is 158" and sharp.

So it wasn't a fluke? They now put the retainer clip with the tooth side away from the opening?  :-\ I find it harder to get a band out when they're packed that way.

I like the flat pack, they fit behind the bench seat in my standard cab truck. Even built one from luan plywood and pine to put my own resharps in. Just make it a few inches larger each way inside than the factory box, trust me on that.

deadfall

When I had the LT-30 in an earlier incarnation, the blades came in cubes.  They went one way, as we had a sharpener and setter ($1500 back then).  I did the blade maintenance which often kept me up late.  But we never sent the broken ones out.  When we were done with them, they were done with us. 

When I bought my used LT-40, I got two blades with it and both were may-pops, and did that very quickly.  Since I'm two hours away from W-M Portland, I asked where the volume price break was and it was 60 blades.  My small store room is blooming in coiled blades and I'm not through the second flat pack.  These were the first flat packs I had seen.  I was a bit shocked that there were 15 in there.  While watching Craigslist, I saw another full pack show up at a very good price.  I got the first call in on it and got it.  The guy went to a W-M event and won them as a door prize.  He decided to not buy a mill and put them up for sale. 

I hope I never have to pack any up and get a good deal on a sharpener and setter before I run through 75 blades. 

So, as to the question of the hour, I'd say that like Picasso, I am a cubist, if I was having to pack them up.  Right now, the only really dry place I have for them is in this very small cabin I live in, so for storing, the flat pack is serving well. 

<voice="Snow White"> Some day my shop will come. </voice>

Then I'll hang coiled blades on the wall.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Dewey

I received a Flat pack Yesterday and it was held together with heavy-duty Tie Wraps... that you have to cut to get to blades.... Needless to say when you cut the last one there was allot of tension on them..
I always coil my blades and hang them to me it's easier to handle and move them around ,my sharpening equip is in a different building than my mill.

justallan1

For me the only deciding factor is storing them, so the flat packs work well. They slide right into the back seat of the pickup or out of the way against the wall in the shop.
I do have a cube of blades from Timberwolf sitting next to the fridge in the kitchen that needs to find its way to the shop or barn, but it makes such a darned good table to set empty water jugs. ;D

AnthonyW

I don't have the space or place for coiled blades. I made two flat pack wooden boxes to store the sharp blades in and use the cardboard boxes to store the ones for sharpening. I also purchased a length of 1/4" metal rod and made my own center clips (looks just like WMs).
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

deadfall

Around me, no horizontal surface is safe.  They are all tables and shelves.  I used to have some floor.

Happy for no reason.

kelLOGg

This year was the 1st time I received a flat pack shipment and I didn't like pulling the blade out. I'm used to the cube and prefer it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: deadfall on July 21, 2015, 09:43:22 PM
When I had the LT-30 in an earlier incarnation, the blades came in cubes.  They went one way, as we had a sharpener and setter ($1500 back then).  I did the blade maintenance which often kept me up late.  But we never sent the broken ones out.  When we were done with them, they were done with us. 

When I bought my used LT-40, I got two blades with it and both were may-pops, and did that very quickly.  Since I'm two hours away from W-M Portland, I asked where the volume price break was and it was 60 blades.  My small store room is blooming in coiled blades and I'm not through the second flat pack.  These were the first flat packs I had seen.  I was a bit shocked that there were 15 in there.  While watching Craigslist, I saw another full pack show up at a very good price.  I got the first call in on it and got it.  The guy went to a W-M event and won them as a door prize.  He decided to not buy a mill and put them up for sale. 

I hope I never have to pack any up and get a good deal on a sharpener and setter before I run through 75 blades. 

So, as to the question of the hour, I'd say that like Picasso, I am a cubist, if I was having to pack them up.  Right now, the only really dry place I have for them is in this very small cabin I live in, so for storing, the flat pack is serving well. 

<voice="Snow White"> Some day my shop will come. </voice>

Then I'll hang coiled blades on the wall.
Yes, they put it on backwards relative to my liking.  I change it as soon as I can.  Lean the blades a bit, against my legs with the slot facing out, or lay them on the ground with the slot in the clip up, then, just grab the outer one (which is on the inner loop), and lift it out.   No worse than handling a rattlesnake.  :)

The instructions for the coiled blades are in the Bible, Exodus 4:2-5:

....Then the Lord said to him, "What is that in your hand?" "A staff," he replied.  The Lord said, "Throw it on the ground." Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it.  Then the Lord said to him, "Reach out your hand and take it by the tail." So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into a staff in his hand.    :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

deadfall

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 22, 2015, 01:21:57 PMNo worse than handling a rattlesnake.  :)

The instructions for the coiled blades are in the Bible, Exodus 4:2-5:

....Then the Lord said to him, "What is that in your hand?" "A staff," he replied.  The Lord said, "Throw it on the ground." Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it.  Then the Lord said to him, "Reach out your hand and take it by the tail." So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into a staff in his hand.    :D :D :D

I'll have what he (the author of Exodus) is having.

Happy for no reason.

Brucer

I find it interesting that there doesn't seem to be a standard way of packaging them.

My blades have always come in flat packs, with the teeth facing down and the slot in the retaining clip facing up. That's about 20 boxes over a 10-year period.

I have no trouble coiling .045" blades -- 1-1/4 or 1-1/2" wide. But when I tried coiling some .050" blades for my friend John, I dislocated my shoulder :o.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

It's easier for me when I catch that bottom loop on log or something.

4x4American

Quote from: kelLOGg on July 22, 2015, 12:47:10 PM
This year was the 1st time I received a flat pack shipment and I didn't like pulling the blade out. I'm used to the cube and prefer it.
Bob

If they are WM blades, you cut the three spots of packing tape, and it opens up like a piano.  Then you can tickle the ivory in an easier fashion than trying to push pull and squeeze sharp things at the same time.  Are ya pickin up what I'm puttin down?

If you didn't mean pulling them out of the box, and meant pulling them out of the loop, that's easy, too!  Just remember the three p's.  pinch, pull, presto!
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

Preference is flat pack here.
2 luan boxes work good as do the WM boxes.
.055 and my arthritic wrists dont mix as regards coiling.
Dave Scott told me he is not recommending the .055 any longer since the advent of the 7-39 blades.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

Can you not get the 7/39 blades in .055"?
Boy, back in my day..

agiocochook

Is it possible to buy the flatpack boxes from Woodmizer?  I don't have a woodmizer mill, but I like that system of shipping.  I'd like to be ablt to buy some boxes and clips.  I dont see them listed for sale in their website.

Thanks,
Paul

Magicman

Every new blade that I have ever gotten has come shipped in a flat pack.

I find 7° Turbo blades listed for my sawmill in .045 and .055.  Not .050.  LINK

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, agiocochook!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

agiocochook,welcome to the forum.
Give WM a call.
I have used a WM blade on my Thomas Mill. I had to turn it inside out to run on my mill.  I went to a show and a free blade was included with registration. I told him I had a Thomas and he knew what size I needed.
What kind of mill you got? ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PAmizerman

I prefer the flat packs 
Cheaper to ship. Take up less space.
And I believe safer.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

SawyerTed

The coiling/uncoiling of these heavier bandsaw blades (as compared to blades on a shop saw) is one more opportunity for a mishap - at least for me.  It's a step that's not necessary for me. I prefer the flat pack.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

LeeB

Wait till a couple slip out of the clip on you at the same time. It can be dangerous in it's own right.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Pabene

I don't like coiled blades because the blade back crosses the tooth side of the blade. In the crossing points the set is hurted. If you take a look and make marks at the crossing points, before you open a coiled blade and then check the set in this area, you will find teeth with disturbed set.
To open a flat pack I was teached to lay the pack on the floor. The teeth side up. Then, with good boots on your feet, place one foot in each loop and keep your feet close to the strap. Cut the strap and separate your feet untill the pack is like an 8 on the floor. Now you can repeat the same procedure for the last strap.

Magicman

Coiled blades in cube boxes are my preference.  When I get a new flat pack I coil the blades and put them in the Magic Can for transport to the sawing job.  When they dull they get coiled to be sent to ReSharp.  My resharpened blades come back to me coiled and in a cube box.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Quote from: Pabene on August 15, 2018, 04:27:16 PM
I don't like coiled blades because the blade back crosses the tooth side of the blade. In the crossing points the set is hurted. If you take a look and make marks at the crossing points, before you open a coiled blade and then check the set in this area, you will find teeth with disturbed set.
To open a flat pack I was teached to lay the pack on the floor. The teeth side up. Then, with good boots on your feet, place one foot in each loop and keep your feet close to the strap. Cut the strap and separate your feet untill the pack is like an 8 on the floor. Now you can repeat the same procedure for the last strap.
???  video pls!
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

There was a video posted on here a while back showing how to "safely" unpack a flat-pack of bandsaw blades!

I think it was provided by Wood-Mizer, but I just can't find it!

Weekend_Sawyer

That's a busy shop you got there Peter, I like it!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Beavertooth

You can get the Bi-metal turbo 7 in a .50 blade
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on August 12, 2018, 10:00:45 PMI find 7° Turbo blades listed for my sawmill in .045 and .055. Not .050. LINK
Yes you can but they are 1½" blades.  I do not find them listed for my sawmill which uses 1¼" blades which is what I stated above.

Thank You Sponsors!