iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK 1220 mill owners??? comments and mods for your mill?

Started by opticsguy, August 12, 2016, 12:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Goooooooood morning!!!
I am a very happy owner of a Timber King 1220 mill.  Purchased with an extra set of rails and good for lengths up to 20' 4" if you get the log just right. 
A totally manual mill, makes me work hard sometimes but this mill has certainly changed my life and opened up a lot of opportunities.
I am curious about other TK 1220 owners and modifications you made that improved your ease of work, output, or safety.
OK, now rime to go shovel some sawdust..........

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

opticsguy

wow!!   I am so lucky to have a collectors item, the only TK 1220 in the world???   :)
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

ladylake

On mod I'd make is to change out  guide wheels, I think the 1220 uses 3 little bearing for guides which don't last long due to the small size.  Some 3" flanged guides  from TK or Cooks would be would be a big improvement.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

deepsouth.us

I agree with the above. I bought bearings by the sleeve when I had my 1220. Make sure the back of the blade isn't riding against the horizontal bearings.

I never liked the log dogs on the model that I had. They did okay, but if I were to have stayed with the 1220 I believe I would have eventually fabricated some similar to the ones on cooks manual mill.

Also, the lube tank that came on mine was constructed of fairly thin plastic. I didn't keep the mill under cover, and the plastic tank failed. I replaced it with a 5 gallon bucket which I outfitted with a hose bib.

Aside from these little things I can't think of any other mods I'd recommend. I was very pleased with my 1220 as it served me quite nicely.
Timberking 2000

Will_Johnson

For folks reading this thread it's worth noting that the 1220 guide roller design was changed a few years back to a true greasable 2" diameter flanged guide roller. Same roller we use on 1400 & 1600 mills. Water tank is now custom-fabricated for us out of very heavy, UV-protected plastic.

ladylake

Will
Good to see TK is taking care of the couple of things that need it.  Couldn't be happier with my B20 after more than 12000 hours.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

deepsouth.us

Well, opticsguy, since Will has given us a few details on the newer 1220's, I'd say you're good to go. It's a fine little mill. I simply outgrew mine and moved into a 2000.

Will, thanks for the updates.

Timberking 2000

Thank You Sponsors!