TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Timberking B-16 rebuild  (Read 2990 times)

Offline crowhill

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Timberking B-16 rebuild
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »
Alan, How ya doing with that B-16? Did you really put it away just to work on the house?!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws, 26 chickens and Hereford beef cattle.

Offline alan gage

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
Alan, How ya doing with that B-16? Did you really put it away just to work on the house?!

I hate to disappoint but, yes, I really did put it away just to work on the house. But working on the house is no small project. New windows, rewire, new plumbing (including breaking up basement floor), redo two bathrooms, knock a hole in a wall and install header, new flooring, new cabinets. And that's just the house. Then there's gutting the garage to the studs and rewiring, insulating, and sheet rocking it to get the shop setup. Not to mention work I need to do on the outside.

But I got it to the point where it's buttoned up outside for the winter and I put in on the back burner for a while. Then I spent a week cutting down 20+ bur oak trees to get logs for the sawmill. Have about 25 more left to go. Don't know how many I'll get to yet this year. I need to clean up all the tops and haul them in a pile too.

I bought 5 acres of land where I can setup the sawmill, build some sheds, and store logs and lumber. Excavater just got done a few days ago working his magic and flattening it out a bit. Now I need to finish grading it, plant some grass, and start moving logs in.

Winter is closing in very fast and after work daylight is gone. I don't anticipate actually getting to use the mill again until spring.

Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline crowhill

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »
Been busy! That mill will keep pushing you to get the other things done, knowing itís just calling ya! When all done you can pull the mill out without the pressures of the house hanging over you head.. Good luck and enjoy the up coming holidays.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws, 26 chickens and Hereford beef cattle.

Offline alan gage

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »
Got the mill back in the shop this winter and got it finished up and running. Took a lot more work and money than I anticipated. Every piece of chain on it was replaced. Most of the hydraulics lines. Cook's retro-fit roller guides, seals in one of the lift cylinders, 6 new leveling jacks, and cleaning and lubing a lot. 

Also ended up replacing the hydraulic engine. Just couldn't get the old carb. running right and after removing it and giving a cleaning one more time I decided to just replace the carb. Turns out a new carb was $120 and so was a new Predator 6.5hp engine. Since the recoil spring broke on the old Briggs it made the decision a no brainer. Super simple to swap out. The 6 year old boy I mentor helped me and he did great work. Here he is running the carriage back and forth as a test after the install: 

I bought the mill for $4k and probably put another $2000-2500 into it. Would still like to add toe board rollers and figure out how to get some more oomph out of the log clamp but it's time to do some sawing so that can wait a bit. Weather has been abominable this spring so I've only gotten to use it a couple times. Starting with short cottonwood and ash for stickers and lumber pallets. Will start cutting up the nicer stuff after I've gotten over the initial learning curve and have a good place to stack it. I'll try and get some pictures posted of the mill. Didn't bother with paint so nothing too fancy to look at. 

Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 03:02:45 PM »
What carb did you need?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline alan gage

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
What carb did you need?
I don't remember the number but it must not have been a real common one. I couldn't find one from a brand other than Briggs and nowhere for under $120. Gave the old engine to a small engine shop in town. Hopefully they have better luck than me. 
Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 05:08:06 PM »
Why I was asking was I just bought 3 new 13hp new Honda carps off E-bay for $20.00.
Deals are out there if you know where to look.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline alan gage

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »
Why I was asking was I just bought 3 new 13hp new Honda carps off E-bay for $20.00.
Deals are out there if you know where to look.
I expected to be able to do that, and maybe they're out there, but I couldn't find them.

And as it turned out the extra $100 was more than worth it for the experience of a 6 year old helping putting in his first engine. Much more exciting for him than a carb replacement. 

Alan 
Timberking B-16

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 07:47:52 AM »
At $6500 for a fully-hydraulic mill, I think you've done very well indeed!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 Logrite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
024: rebuild, or ........

Started by MotorSeven on Chainsaws

19 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 08:53:31 AM
by thecfarm
xx
when to rebuild

Started by stihl32 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2014, 09:34:07 PM
by AdkStihl