iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bandsaw sharpener and setter- question about your workstation design

Started by flht01, March 28, 2007, 04:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht01

I tried the search function but came up empty, so ...

I just received a cat claw sharpener/manual setter and will need to build a table or two. Before I do, I was wondering if anyone has an unusual or special design that helps make the two a little more convenient to use. I'm a little cramped for floorspace and would like to have both on the same table but could make an exception if needed.

Right now I'm just planning on building a small table with casters for the sharpener and still haven't decided on the design for the setter. Not having use one I really don't know what to look out for.

Thanks

Brian_Rhoad

I use a table that has a 1/8" thick steel top that is 24" wide and 72" long. I have my setter mounted in the center of one end. I used two wheels from casters that are 2" in diameter to guide the blade. The are mounted at the edge of the table about 24" behind the setter. I used to have my Dino sharpener mounted on one side of the table, but I went back to the factory legs for my sharpeners. I used the same type wheels to guide the blade for the sharpener. The frame for the table is a frame for an Army Radio System. It was in an Army radio shack that I got for a storage shed. I mounted casters on it so I can move it around in the shop. The top is chest high, which works out good to stand at the setter to use it. I have shelves under the top to store my blades. It also makes a good work bench and welding table.

flht01

Thanks for the reply Brian, I like the idea of having a little storage space for bands. I've even considered having a plywood table top (for the setter) that would fold down against the wall when not being used and a seperate table (with shelf space) on casters for the sharpener. Shouldn't take up too much room and I could set a blade while sharpening another.

jpgreen

This works well for me, as I defintitely am limited on space for the moment.

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

LeeB

JP, Is that a Suffolk setter and do I see the dial gage attached to it? I got a Suffolk and the dial gagae but I didn't know you could attach them together. Bought used and no paper work with it. My wiffe picked it all up for me and I never got to meet the seller. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jpgreen

Yes, that is a Suffolk, but no the dial indicator is not attached to the setter.  It is clamped to the blade which is the only way you can use it.

Now you could build an attached set of indicators.  You would need 2 dial indicators, fixed in a jig to hold them, etc. I may do it someday, but don't think it's necessary... :)

LeeB

OK. So I was using the indicator the right way then. Another question, did the rollers come with your setter or are they something you did on your own? I made some stand offs out plywood and scew them to another sheet of ply along with the setter simular to the set up you have, only my sharpener is on a seperate table.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jpgreen

No the roller dealies came with the WM sharpener.

You do have to re-set the indicator at zero when you read one side of the blade to the other.  You knew that right?

LeeB

I figured out about the indicator. It's all pretty simple, I just like the confirmation that I got it right. I suppose i should contact Suffolk and get a manual for it and the sharpener.

flht01

Nice setup, what's the dim's on the tabletop?

Do you just let the blade pass thru the setter when sharpening (and vice verse)?

jpgreen

Dims?  Don't know what that is.

Yes the blade passes throught both units, but of course the one that's along for the
ride is in the open position. I really like the setup..  8)

flht01

Thank You Sponsors!