iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinds of wood, and their uses.

Started by Nate Surveyor, April 03, 2007, 10:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

I have just cut down a nice long ash tree. Probably 5 pcs 8.5 ft long. The first 3 are about 16" dia. I know that ash is beautiful, and strong. But, how would you mill it? I'm thinking to make cants out of some of it, to let it dry. Then, later mill it on a band mill into some 1/2" panneling.

Um, I don't have a band mill. Maybe just make some 3.5" x 1.5" for axe handles. Well, I don't need alot of them. Maybe a few brushaxe handles. Yeah, I go through about 2 per year. And they cost 10 bucks each at the hardware store.

I also have some elm, and hickory.

We are removing some trees from dad's yard, to give them more parking and a wider driveway.

I'm looking for ideas. And I'm an ameteur (cain't spell either!) At least that word looks wrong!

When you own a mill, firewood logs begin to look like lumber!

Nate

I know less than I used to.

SAW MILLER

I would flat saw it  and keep turning to the best face while sawing until you get to a 3 inch cant or there abouts.If I wanted paneling I would cut it 3/4 or 7/8 thick,sticker it and after dry plane-er down to desired thickness and have at it.Same with the hickory and elm.It ends up better if you go ahead and saw it out into boards rather than cants.
  Put some weight on that elm for it wants to curl up on the ends!
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

tomboysawyer

If you saw it to a larger cant than a couple inches it will check real bad and be useless for paneling in the future. So cut what you want now.

And go buy a mill!! :D

Kelvin

Hire a local sawmiller to saw it up for you, until you find something of your own.  Owning a sawmill isn't the biggest thing in the world.  You can have someone else keep all that hassle and just deal with the lumber side of things.  You can't be all things, all the time.  Plant the tree, cut the tree, mill the tree, dry the tree, mill the lumber, sand and finish the final product.  Its a lot to do.
Good luck

Nate Surveyor

My neighbor has a bunch of HACKBERRY. What is it good for?

thanks for the drying advice. Especially about the end checking. I'll saw it, and sticker stack it heavy.

Thx

N

WDH

Hackberry is in the elm family and has the same characteristics as elm.  Wants to twist and warp in drying.  Really pretty wood, but tough to deal with because of the interlocked grain.l
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nate Surveyor

OK, my neighbor has a track loader. And trailer. It has 1.5" x 5.5" x 16' planks on the trailer.

I have some elm, and hickory that I could use to replace the boards.

I would prefer BIG old slow growth white oak, but, when you have elm and hickory just sitting there, what is best?

Thanks,

N

WDH

Go for it.  If you have it, use it.  Both elm and hickory are tough woods and will do OK.  They are not as weather resistant as white oak, but they should do the job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Handy Andy

There is a guy a few miles from here who makes flooring and trim from hackberry. It is a white wood, he uses the wood with more color for flooring, has black streaks in it.  The downside is, you can't air dry it.  Has to go in the kiln asap.  He said you need to cut the tree down, saw it up and get it in the kiln the same day.  I had some
sawn once, and when planing the stuff, after the first time through the planer it looked as though it were painted with green paint of some sort.  Also had a blotchy appearance when it was planed down. It was barn dried. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!