iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel Economy

Started by SwingOak, May 14, 2008, 10:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logwalker

Whole lot of truth in Flip's comments. I hear the liberals all the time crying over the plight of the middle class and how they are disappearing. They buy the fanciest suv or truck they can afford, buy a big expensive house in the burbs, max out 2 or 3 credit cards, commute 50 miles one way to work, and then come tell me how the big oil companies and big business are screwing them and we need a change in DC. I just want to slap some sense in to them.  :D :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Ianab

QuoteBTW: I thought that the most fuel efficient speed was 55 mph?

Vaies from vehicle to vehicle.

Depends on the engine, gearing and aerodynamics exactly where the sweet spot is.

Two cars I have driven that had trip computers that would read out the exact fuel economy in real time had best readings at 103 and 111 km/ph. That would be just over 60mph and just under 70mph. The 103k was for a 1300cc Mitsibishi and the 111k was a 2.2l Audi. Both were high geared in overdrive and good aerodynamics. Other vehicles with poorer aerodynamics and gearing, best economy may be down at 50mph  ???

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Larry

A pencil and notepad help on my fuel consumption.  Just took a look at the notepad and I see;

Hot Pink Fluorescent paint
Brush cleaner
Valve stem inserts
4 - 1/4-20 2 1/2" SS bolts, nuts, and washers

And the very best way to save fuel is leaving my PSD F-350 parked and taking Kathy's Honda. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Aroostooksawyer

Was a mechanic full time some fuel injected cars and pickups turn off the fuel injectors on decelerating in drive and the computer turns them back on at a certain MPH  or if you touch brake.

SwingOak

Quote from: beenthere on May 15, 2008, 01:14:25 PM
Quote from: Lurcherman on May 15, 2008, 08:47:46 AM
Also, I had bumped my truck into neutral once while going down hill, and the RPM's went way up. When I put it back in gear, it slammed in so hard it scared me. I won't be doing that again, I can tell you.

Prolly had the cruise control on when ya bumped it into neutral, and the engine was trying to bring the truck back up to set speed.  I've done that too. Not on purpose, but bumping the stick.

Nope. That's the way it works. In fact, if you move the shift lever when cruise is on, it takes cruise off. Just like stepping on the brake.

thedeeredude

I drive like a grampa smiley_old_guy  ...bla bla bla no offense....etc etc to grandfathers that drive slow....disclaimer  Seriously though, I put synthetic motor oil in and that gave me about 1mpg.  I choose my gas wisely, go to different stations find which works best.  BP agrees with my truck the best.  Its a slight bit more expensive(2¢ I think), but I get better mileage and performance.  I run lucas fuel system cleaner through every couple tanks too.

Handy Andy

My old Toyota brakes and steers fine without the engine running.  And if your engine is running you're burning gas. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Toolman

I've been using the ScanGuage II for about two years now. You would not believe how much fuel you save by using this device. It monitors your fuel useage while you are driving. Alot of fuel is wasted on bad driving habits. ScanGuage.com ,
do yourself a favor and try it, you'll thank me.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

ScottAR

Lost this thread. Sorry Jokers...

Progressive shifting is using the torque band to your advantage.

You keep your rpms low in the lower gears climbing the rpm as you
climb the gears.  For example, 7.3 powerstroke 6spd.  flat road. 

First to second is about 1,300rpm
second to third is about 1,500rpm
third to fourth is about   1,800rpm
fourth to OD is about     2,100rpm

This technique is mostly used in big rigs but it works for us little guys
too. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

David Freed

No one else has spoken up that actually drives a big rig, so i thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I have used the progressive shifting for years. I set the cruise control at a speed that the police don't mind (different states, different speed limits, different tolerances). Even with my easygoing driving style, my truck is apparently something of a rarity. It is a 97 model with a series 60 Detroit that I bought used, with 1,350,000 miles (I put 1,000,000 on it). I can get 7 1/2 to 8 mpg during day to day driving while loaded (70-80,000 lbs) most of the time, and 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 mpg when empty (32.000 lbs). I recently drove home empty from Longview, Texas because there were no loads worth hauling (I don't haul cheap, period). 800 miles, 65 mph most of the way, 10 mpg. I talk to a lot of people and it is fairly rare to here someone getting over 7, and almost impossible to find someone that gets 8. I own a flatbed, and I know that helps on the empty milage compared to a box.

jokers

Thanks for the info Scott. To clarify, I try to use the torque to full advantage by giving my truck minimal accelerator and it seems to shift nicely by the time the tach hits 2k or less, maybe 1800 rpm. I`ve found that using cruise control lessens my fuel economy.

rbhunter

One guy solved the problem of tail gating when he was driving the speed limit. He would start to lower the bale spear on the back of his pickup and they would back off.  :D
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Thank You Sponsors!