iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow it sure looks great

Started by Ernie, June 17, 2009, 06:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

This is a view of our local mountain.  Winter is here and it sure looks great!

Here is a link to the live cam.

http://www.taranakivista.co.nz/index.php?page=live-picture

Aint creation wonderful ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

LeeB

Thats purty. Is it a volcano?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Quote from: LeeB on June 17, 2009, 06:35:00 PM
Thats purty. Is it a volcano?

Dormant volcano, we are just hoping it stays that way, but it's probably going to erupt again some day.

View from my old place

The peak at sunset from my back door.

It is very photogenic, if it's not covered with cloud.  ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fishpharmer

That's awesome.  Is that the same volcano Ernie and Ianab live near, they really look similar.  Guess all do.

Hope you don't have any eruptions.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

zopi

i could probably handle living down there. That's nice!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ernie

Quote from: fishpharmer on June 18, 2009, 03:06:22 PM
That's awesome.  Is that the same volcano Ernie and Ianab live near, they really look similar.  Guess all do.

Hope you don't have any eruptions.

Sure is, we just live almost on opposite sides of it.  As far as eruptions are concerned------Probably one day, apparently we are overdue but that is according to the "experts"  Definition  expert  ex= has been spert = drip under pressure

This is from the top of the farm  you can see the mountain in the left of the pic

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Apparantly the last eruption was around 1755. There are still rocks stuck in the old trees up around the Mt. Before that, about 10 eruptions in the last 1,000 years. So it's still classed as Active.

The Civil Defence have a plan in place in case it erupts... It's basically "Run Away". But they have made a nice map to indicate how fast you should run  ;D

http://www.trc.govt.nz/emergency/pdf/Volcanic%20hazard%20zones%203.pdf

I'm in Stratford, which is uncomfortably close to the red "panic now" zone. But Ernie is up North near the Mimi River, and should be safe in the "wait and see what happens" zone.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Ian, I think a strong nor-easter would probably suit us both rather than our usual westerly

WildDog

Sure is a magic view no matter what side your looking from. My wife spent 3mths in NZ as an exchange student and loved it, her ex-fiancee is burried over there and each year we talk about heading over to visit the grave site and have a good look around just hasn't come off yet.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

mdvaden

Real nice.

You know - I'll bet our Mt. Hood would make you feel at home. Seems to look similar in some ways, except the one in your photo as the extra hump on the left.

Google Mt. Hood and tell me what you think. Odds are you will find more west to east views. Without our small hills inbetween, they make a nice pair.

Dodgy Loner

I thought it was Mt. Hood until I saw who posted the picture.  Mt. Hood also has a small hump to one side when you look at it from certain angles.  I ventured not too far from Mt. Taranaki during my tour of New Zealand, but it was in the middle of the night, so I never caught a glimpse :-\
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ernie

Quote from: mdvaden on June 24, 2009, 08:23:51 PM
Real nice.

Google Mt. Hood and tell me what you think. Odds are you will find more west to east views. Without our small hills inbetween, they make a nice pair.

Seems to be a lot more commercialized.  Access to our hill is not as good.  You are right, they do make a nice pair and lets face it who doesn't like a nice pair ;D

ADAMINMO

Quote from: Ernie on June 25, 2009, 02:59:15 PM
Seems to be a lot more commercialized.  Access to our hill is not as good.  You are right, they do make a nice pair and lets face it who doesn't like a nice pair ;D

I second that Ernie!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

fishpharmer

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on June 25, 2009, 01:46:24 PM
  I ventured not too far from Mt. Taranaki during my tour of New Zealand, but it was in the middle of the night, so I never caught a glimpse :-\

That nighttime tour must have been cheap :D :D ;D 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ianab

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on June 25, 2009, 01:46:24 PM
I thought it was Mt. Hood until I saw who posted the picture.  Mt. Hood also has a small hump to one side when you look at it from certain angles.  I ventured not too far from Mt. Taranaki during my tour of New Zealand, but it was in the middle of the night, so I never caught a glimpse :-\

People have come to visit for 2 weeks this time of year and never seen the Mt. Lots of rain and clouds though. They went away convinced it didn't actually exist. :D

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!