iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Possible to effectively detail/seal single layer exterior xps sheathing?

Started by dfvellone, September 23, 2016, 10:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfvellone

Hi,
Having been directed to an insulation reclaimer I have the opportunity to purchase enough reclaimed xps to sheath my exterior frame, though only with a single layer since the 2.5" panels that are available will satisfy my exterior r value requirement. I've enclosed my timber frame with a 2x5 (full dimension) exterior frame with let-in diagonal bracing that will be densepacked with cellulose and sheathed with xps that will get 1x4 strapping prior to siding. This foam is square edge and I'm wondering if, in the absence of multiple layers with staggered seams as well as t+g edges, the detailing to adequately seal the seams will be possible or adviseable. Thanks

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum!  I was going to refer you to GreenBuildingAdvisor but it looks like you've already found your way there.  I would think that there should be no problem sealing the panel seams with the right tape.  I'm exploring XPS as an exterior insulator for my cabin build and have some concern about the degree to which it provides a vapor barrier.  A potential area of concern for me is having moisture in the wall trapped between the foam and an interior vapor barrier.  Appreciate you letting us know what you find out.
Woodland Mills HM130

Thank You Sponsors!