iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new to me edger

Started by WoodenHead, October 17, 2013, 08:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

After pondering and looking for over a year, I finally purchased an edger.  Although I was interested in a Woodmizer or Cook's edger, I ended up buying a used TimberKing Talon 900.  It appears to be in great shape and the price was in my range.  The previous owner swapped the gas engine with a three phase electric motor and used it that way.  Now the original 25HP Kohler is back on.  The original gas tank was damaged so they replaced it with a new one.  It is a stationary unit and that is fine with me. 

Here are a couple pictures:

I also picked up some used roller conveyor.  Slowly, but surely, I'm changing my mill configuration now that my drying shed is complete enough to use.

I had a good visit with the folks who sold the machine.  We chatted about various aspects of milling.  Sadly it seems they are working their way out of it.  The economic downturn in 2008 really took its toll.  They had been in business since 1984 and began with a manual LT30.

manoverboard

Good luck, seems like a nice edger... :)
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Dave Shepard

Congrats on the new edger. I'm going the other way, I just pulled the axle on my WM edger, and will be taking the Perkapiller off and putting a three phase on.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

That looks good. Hope it runs as good as it looks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 17, 2013, 08:15:10 PM
Congrats on the new edger. I'm going the other way, I just pulled the axle on my WM edger, and will be taking the Perkapiller off and putting a three phase on.

Actually some time down the road I would like to go that route as well.  My three phase supply is at a different voltage (240V) than what the seller has (600V - it's a Canadian thing).  The motor couldn't be re-wired for 240.  So, for now I'll run the gas.

Quote from: thecfarm on October 17, 2013, 08:16:05 PM
That looks good. Hope it runs as good as it looks.

I asked for a demo.  The engine coughed a little at first, but ran fine.  The motor hadn't been used in 7 years, but was always kept in a heated garage.  It cut straight and had no problem chewing through kiln dried oak I believe (that was all they had on hand for a demo piece).

Chuck White

Congratulations on the edger, can't have too much equipment!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

That is a nice piece of equipment.  Congrats! 8)
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

is that a belt that pulls the wood in?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WoodenHead

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 17, 2013, 10:45:30 PM
is that a belt that pulls the wood in?

That is correct.  There is a belt for both in-feed and out.

There are a couple features missing that some of other brands of edgers have.  One is a set of return rollers on the top (if you needed to edge twice and were working with two people).  The other is a feature Cook's has on their edger: an adjustable straight edge on the in-feed for the fixed blade.  I have talked to a number of people who don't see the advantage for this, but I would find it very useful.  So, that is one thing I'll probably add myself.   

Peter Drouin

I have the straight edge on my WM , I set it up so the fix blade will cut off an 1/8" of wood .
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!