iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw modifications

Started by apm, April 01, 2012, 01:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apm

Edging is not affected at all. The dogs go down within an inch of the deck because the new "frame" is only 7" tall. I could edge one board or a stack with no trouble.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Tripp

Greg,

Any chance of getting some video of your mill in action with the new diesel power?

Here is a short video my dad shot yesterday.

Tripp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUkXlT4sUU

bandmiller2

Some dogs don't go down enough to clamp one or two boards for edging.I always keep scraps of 2x4 around to put on the stack.If you clamp with a swinging screw dog over unsupported boards it tends to curl the ends up 2x4 between supports cures that. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Tripper,nice vid of your operation,I see why dad is not excited about the Detroit drone.Seeing as its on the backside of the wall you could doghouse it using sound absorbing material.Also shown is how effective the belsaw angled deck is geting boards away from the saw.That is one advantage of the belsaw design, those of us with standard mills have to contend with the arbor shaft in that location. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

apm

Hey Tripp,
Isn't it great not to have to "feather" the feed? Just pull the handle full tilt and let it rip! I bet you're loving the diesel upgrade. I've never tried video, maybe it's time to give it a shot. I'll try to get some this weekend and see if I can figure it out.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

markd

That was really fun to watch and your place looks really cared for. And that sawdust piler is unbelievable! Good work! Show more.  Markd
markd

Lambee10

I have not been on the forum for a while and was thrilled to see this posting!  I got my saw set up with new teeth and then got busy with life.  I am dying to get some time to start cutting again.

great ideas here and Greg that is a real sweet setup.  I know what you say about needing to use the tractor just as soon as you get it hooked up.  I was looking for a older unit to set up just for power but was offered a IH combine engine instead.  I dont know if I know enough to set it up or not but will continue to think about it more.  Especially now that I see the video and comments about the power.

Speaking of Video- love the sawdust spreader! Very neat set up there.

I promised Captain C and others pictures but my company computer will not allow for uploads on the site.  I got a way around that however so stand by. ;D
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

apm

Great to hear you chime in Lambee! I was wondering how you were doing with your mill. Looking forward to the pictures.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Tripp

Greg,

No doubt, diesel power is much different than gas. It's pretty amazing going from a six cylinder gas motor to a 3 cylinder diesel, and at the moment the 3 cylinder wins big.

I am not sure this is the best way to post videos, but it has worked for me. Upload your video to you tube, then cut and paste the address of your video into the body of your post.  Then post your message and it appears like majic.

Lambee,

Love to see the pics.

Frank,

Some sound deadning material may be in my future. With a good muffler most of the noise seems to be generated at the intake side of the engine. I am currently running an oil bath air cleaner. I have heard a paper element filter will cut down on the noise.

Tripp

reride82

Hello,
rwthom279 wanted some pictures of my setup so I figured I'd add to this thread with my Belsaw pictures. I used a 318LH Chrysler Industrial engine out of a 5542 white combine. It has its own hydraulic pump and is all contained on its own frame with radiator and air cleaner setup for a dirty environment. Now, I have been incredibly busy and haven't been completely keeping up with my housekeeping around the mill so don't look to close  :D

I used the original geometry of the 318 power unit to the main shaft as the combine used. This allowed for the correct rotation of the saw blade but put the engine above the carriage. When the time comes and the opportunity arises I would like to use a smaller diesel engine and move it down to ground elevation, but this is what I have for now.

This is a picture showing the backside of my mill. That is how everything came off of the combine with the exception of having the big pulley bored out to accept the factory Belsaw shaft. I also extended the idler pulley arm to give me some extra leverage to tighten the belt. I had to maintain this configuration because of the drive pulley housing that wouldn't allow me to set the unit on the ground. I probably could have reworked this, but I would have had more time and money into that than the engine is worth. It works great for now.  ;)

Here is my hydraulic valve body, flow control valve below that, throttle and choke for the engine, and the power switch and starter button.

This is a picture of the hydraulic motor that drives the cable drum for the carriage feed.

This is a picture from the log deck end of the sawmill.

This isn't as big of a log as in Captain Crunch's avatar, but it still makes me smile that this mill can cut some wood  8)

And this picture tries to take in the mill in its entirety.

All-in-all, the mill has a 22 ft carriage hydraulic carriage with 4 manual dogs, 75 ft of track, 42" blade with 36 insert teeth, 318 Industrial V-8, log deck, and roller out feed tables. Now I need powered sawdust removal, sawmill shed like Lyle's, and hydraulic log turner.  :)  :D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

apm

Now that's a Belsaw on steroids! Looks great.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Cutting Edge

Quote from: apm on September 05, 2012, 08:53:48 AM

I second that!!  One thing is for sure...makes for an easy oil change!!   ;)
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

hardtailjohn

And to think.... I missed it by this much!!!!  Hahaha   Great looking setup, Levi!!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

reride82

Quote from: rwthom279 on September 05, 2012, 10:47:12 AM
Quote from: apm on September 05, 2012, 08:53:48 AM

I second that!!  One thing is for sure...makes for an easy oil change!!   ;)

Haha, the oil drain line is just to the left of the big driven pulley and is almost perfect for draining into a 5 gallon bucket  ;)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Flyingpig

Old thread but I feel it's still relevant?

We have an old M14 that's pretty modified. The old boy who had it sped the feed rate up a lot, and it runs off a Datsun L20B engine that is tied in off the transmission. Direction change is achieved with using a tire for further gear reduction. We have a reactive governor on it as well. The saw is a 30 tooth 42". We spin it at 680 free speed and it holds 600 in the cut even buried. It's a neat little rig, and cuts deadly straight.

moodnacreek

Screamin green 3 cyl. on a bell saw , well it's better to have to much power than not enough.

Flyingpig

Thank You Sponsors!