iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cheap saw

Started by trapper, January 07, 2009, 10:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

just got harbor freight flyer. in it was a 7HP sawmill for $1699.  another logright vs. northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company type discussion?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

schmism

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99990

so the frame looks on the small side... and the 7hp is anemic....

but would it not be a decent place to start... slap the 7hp on a dust blower and put a 15hp in its place... (but i suppose you double the price you've paid for it then)

Norwood (northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company) 8hp version is sill twice the HF price
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Ron Wenrich

Usually, you get what you pay for.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dan_Shade

a lot of those small mills don't have room for a larger engine.  When I had my Hud-son 28 with an 8hp engine, I looked at installing a larger engine, but I would have had to do surgury on the frame.

I'm with Ron on this one, you get what you pay for, and with this one, I'd say you don't even get that.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bandmiller2

Any country boy worth his salt could build a stronger better mill,probibly by the time you beefed everything up so it would survive big logs you could have built the whole mill.I'am old and repeat myself but the cheapest mill you can buy is an old handset circular mill ,rewood and rebuild,and you have part of history that will cut the mustard. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

Can you spell "timber toy"? 
Albert

fishpharmer

I clicked the 'more information' link on the sawmill page and up pops a downloadable manual.

Looks like it comes as an unassembled kit.

The manual photos make it look mighty flimsy.  I built my own.  Still don't have the bugs worked out.  If I could have found this when I was trying to get a mill I probably would have tried it. 

I would love to hear from some one who buys one.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fishpharmer

specs from manual:

blade speed 3278 FPM
log diameter 22" maximum
board width  20" maximum
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

Maybe for a hobby. Would really need an electric motor on it.That way when you dragged it out of the corner to use every 3-4 times a year all the seals would not be dried up on it.Really something how companies are making these lighter and cheaper.Would not work for any good size log,without being REAL careful and REAL gentle with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

schmism

my first thought was slapping an electric motor on it also.

Also had the thought that if you simply tacked the existing rails to some railroad rail....

i could see it being usefull to a wood tuner or the like that wants something easy to hack up huge oddball hunks of "firewood" into something they could use.

Id pick one up if i didnt already have enough irons in the fire.   If i ever get these 2 extra vehicles sold i have sitting around the CFO will allow me to get some new toys :(
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

logwalker

The title for this thread says it all.  ;)

Maybe for a small child's amusement.  Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

backwoods sawyer

Resawing cants, for the home wood worker who pulls it out a couple times a year and has room for another tool to sit in the corner would be the target customer for a mill like this. Try making a living with it and you will have to buy a couple a year just to have spare parts.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WDH

Doesn't look like it will hold up to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

david_keith

It looks like a beginner's weekend warrior saw.... for someone maybe like me.  I don't want to put $5000.00 plus into a manual saw cause my needs are small & my pocketbook as well for this woodworking affliction that I have developed.  The engine has a 90 warranty and the rest is warrantee for 12 months.  If something is going to break it should be in that time period and harbor freight will take it back at the store you brought it at.  You can also buy extended warrantee as well.  I don't see how you could  lose that much money on this saw if your not to rough on it.   For now this would be just a hobby saw until I learn how to grade and cut good lumber. 
  I am a newbie by the way but I have paid a local sawyer to cut some of my live oak, southern red oak, longleaf heart pine, southern black cherry & cypress trees  for the house I built 6 years ago and it looks great.   I stacked most of that wood for air drying.... 7500 board ft and got to operate the sawyers 15hp electric woodmizer saw for a few minutes and I was hooked on making my own lumber.    So....... is this a good saw for someone like me or am I throwing my money away.!!!!! :o

dk
dk

Tom Sawyer

Keep paying the local sawyer to cut your logs and spend the money on another tool that you really want need.

logwalker

The band speed is too slow, the bearings are the cheapest they could find and the guides are probably useless. The frame is too light, you can't see what they are using for backstops and there is no real way to clamp a log. There are other deficiencies but you can see where I am going with this. I am not a big fan of anything to do with Harbor Freight. They are part of what is wrong in this country. Find a nice used manual machine for only twice the money and enjoy the experience. You ran the Woodmizer, one of the best. You will never be happy with that one if you are at all like me. You asked for our opinions, please don't be insulted. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Dan_Shade

Sadly, there is not a good option for a commercially made mill for low cost.

Take a look at the Baker Buddy or a woodmizer LT10 if you want a sawmill.  Also go to a show in your area or see if you can meet up with a local member that has a sawmill (we like to talk about this stuff!)

With a little mill like that you spend all of your time making crappy lumber and no time using it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

david_keith

Thanks for your honest & experienced opinions and I will save up for the woodmizer or similar american model manual bandsaw mill.

dk :P

dk

Ironwood

Sounds like wisdom, the marginal increase in cost will pay exponential dividends. Find a used LM2000 or Lt-15. I have heard stories of some real bargins, just keep your ears to the ground in all the UNUSUAL places, that is where the deals are found, not on the "mainline" places (like here) where they get snatched up like chocolate at daycare. :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

LeeB

I have to agree with all the rest, don't waste your money on this one. I t will only leave a bad taste in your mouth. You can find 4 times the saw used for only just a little more money. Now is a really good time to buy if you have the money. Shop  around and see what's out there. Ther are way plenty enough experianced people here to let you know if you are headed in the right direction. I feel sure you probably got hooked on dust when you sawed with the Mizer. Don't let your addiction make you through your money away on trash. Go for the good stuff.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DouginUtah

I have to correct a misconception.

I was not thinking of buying the saw. I just put it out there in case harry homeowner was looking for something cheap. I was neither for nor against buying it.

As for chainsaws I have three. I hesitate to divulge this but here goes. (I don't have them where I can look at them right now.)
One is red and is a low-end saw I am sure. It has never been out of the plastic, I don't know where it came from or when it arrived.
One is a McCullog MAC something like a 1620? with a short bar which usually starts when I need it.
Finally, I have a Stihl 039 with a (gasp) 28" bar with skip tooth chain. It has less than one hour of use and I doubt that it will start as I think it has had gas in it for three years. I know!!! Shame on me.  ::)

Edit: I originally identified my Stihl as a 390. Of course you pros know it has to be a 039.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

logwalker

That was some confession.   :D  :D

Feel better? Joe

Tom Sawyer

Three Hail Marys and CHANGE THE GAS IN THAT SAW ;D

tyb525

I just got LT10 and am very happy with it so far. :)
I agree with everyone else that you should save up your money for something that is better quality and will last.
Whatever mill you get I would make sure it has at least 10hp. (I got the LT10 with a 10HP instead of a 7)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!