iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol Kiln

Started by jdtuttle, February 01, 2010, 09:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

Well, after alot of research I ordered the Sauno VT5 kiln. I have a spot in the shop addition I'm building to place it. I'll let you know how it works out in a few months. I will keep a record of as much information as I can. Never dried anything other than clothes in a dryer so I have lots to learn. I decided to try this kiln because of information I found from Oregon State about a dehumidification kiln they built for $2,700.00  http://owic.oregonstate.edu/pubs/dhkilns.pdf  .Seems like if they can dry wood with a regular dehumidification kiln & a small heater this sauno kiln should too. I hope :D
If you have knowledge, information or any tips please share them. As of now Logosol doesn't have a drying schedule so chime in. I am going to buy a combination thermoter/hygrometer to help monitor the chamber. The process calls for the addition of water, bring the temp up to around 170 deg for a few days. This is supposed to change the cell structure to help release moisture from the center of the wood. Next you drop the temp to 120 or 125 deg until dry. Hoping for 6% MC.
My next adventure, can't wait 8)
jim
Have a great day

crtreedude

I got one too Jim - dualing kilns anyone?  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

LOGDOG

Let us know how you do with that. I've browsed them myself. It definitely sounds like it will be an adventurous undertaking.

LOGDOG

jdtuttle

Building the chamber now for about 1000 bf per load. Hope to have my first load in next week sometime. If I ever figure out the picture thing I'll try to post some.
crtreedude, let me know how you make out & any changes you make. I'm puttin mine in the shop & will have particle board and more insulation than logosol calls for. They don't provide much information on a kiln schedule.
jim
Have a great day

crtreedude

For some reason, insulation won't be so important for us...  :D Our factory is behind in work 4 months, and getting worse. The little kiln won't be enough for some orders, but it will help a little. If it works well, then I will buy more, otherwise, I see a Nyle in the future and this focused more on the souvenir market and quick orders.

geils

Just wondering how you guys are making out with the Logosol kilns now that they have had a little time to operate.

Thanks for any update.
Wayne Geils
Geils Woodworking
www.geilswoodworking.com
www.geilsandsonbuilders.com

jdtuttle

Mine works great. I have had the temp up to 160 F to set the pitch & dryed lumber to 6%. I added a lignomat moisture meter with probes & that really helps determining when lumber is dry. I am building another kiln this summer but it will be a nyle for 3000 BF loads. For drying 1000 BF at a time the Sauno kiln is great.
jim
Have a great day

True North

Have you dried hardwoods yet, such as oak or maple? If so, how did it go?

crtreedude

Ours has been working very well, it has become a real mainstay for us in our business. Very easy to us, and does a very nice job on drying wood. Could tell you how it works on oak or maple, since they aren't tropical woods...  ;)

jdtuttle

QuoteHave you dried hardwoods yet, such as oak or maple? If so, how did it go?
I have dried red oak, white oak, silver maple, cherry, black walnut & white pine with good results. As crtreedude said it is easy to use too. I air dry oak for 6 months. Here is the process for a typical load of oak. Stack load in kiln. add 5 gals. water to kiln floor & take the temp up to 160 deg for two days. Drain water off & bring temp down to 104 deg. It stays there until dry. My loads have been taking 4 to 5 weeks to dry.
jim
Have a great day

LOGDOG

How many board feet can you guys dry per load?

Just Me

Quote from: jdtuttle on January 23, 2011, 06:58:47 PM
QuoteHave you dried hardwoods yet, such as oak or maple? If so, how did it go?
I have dried red oak, white oak, silver maple, cherry, black walnut & white pine with good results. As crtreedude said it is easy to use too. I air dry oak for 6 months. Here is the process for a typical load of oak. Stack load in kiln. add 5 gals. water to kiln floor & take the temp up to 160 deg for two days. Drain water off & bring temp down to 104 deg. It stays there until dry. My loads have been taking 4 to 5 weeks to dry.
jim

Are you selling this wood or are you working with it? The reason I ask is one I have been looking at these kilns, and I will be using the wood myself instead of drying for others. Some of their methods are at odds with some of what the USDA handbook Drying Hardwood Lumber has to say. Not that I believe everything I read, but just the same, I was wondering if this process creates any stresses in the wood.

jdtuttle

QuoteAre you selling this wood or are you working with it?
Both,
I haven't noticed any case hardening. I'm new to drying & only know what I've researched. Logosol claims there steaming process (adding water & heating to 160 Deg.) changes the cells in the wood so they relese more water & are less likley to case harden. I made 200 sq. ft of 5" maple & white oak flooring this weekend & the lumber seems fine. This lumber was 6% when i took it out of the kiln & is now at 9%. I'll let it acclimate for one month before installing.
I'm very satisfied with the sauno kiln. The first unit had an electrical problem & Logosol sent a new one with no questions asked.
jim
Have a great day

geils

Guys,

How is the unit with energy usage?  I'm guessing it runs 20amps 220v?  I'm just getting into the drying part of this and the small size, low energy requirements intrigue me.  Thanks for the updates guys.
Wayne Geils
Geils Woodworking
www.geilswoodworking.com
www.geilsandsonbuilders.com

Just Me

I'm going to type this as I don't have a scanner.....

If the temp is exceptionally high[over160 degreesF for any length of time when the lumber is still quite wet[more than 40 % MC] then permanant strength loss can be expected. Because of this strength loss, steaming of green or partially dried wood [including the use of steam spray during heat up] is not recommended, except in a few cases of color enhancement for walnut and cherry. Steaming for stress relief is acceptable when the wood is fully dry. Steaming can also be used when the RH in the dryer must be increased, but the wood must already be warm and the steaming duration must be short [several minutes maximum].

This is from page 13 of the Drying Hardwood Lumber handbook.

I guess I would not be so concerned with a little strength loss because really, how strong does a face frame need to be, but would be concerned if stresses were introduced that affected workability.

Larry

jdtuttle

http://www.logosol.us/kiln/sauno-kiln/
I'm not an engineer and rely on my interpretations from what I read. I don't know the truth about all the different opinions on drying techniques. I do think there are different approaches & each with their own merits. The Sauno kiln is a dehumidification kiln. It's not a high production commercial kiln. I have about $2,200 invested in the heating unit & chamber. I am very happy with the results and the workability of the lumber. With my limited knowledge I would buy another one.
I am looking at the nyle for a larger chamber though ;D
jim
Have a great day

crtreedude

Our kiln is about 1500 BF and it takes about 3 weeks to dry wood. Now our wood isn't straight from the tree, but we stand it up for at least a week to drain it (remove the bulk of the water)

Also understand that we are in the tropics and our day time temperature is a little above 80 F, year round. We also shoot for about 8%, which is fine for here. We use almost everything we dry ourselves.

red oaks lumber

i run d.h kilns and never had to add moisture before or after drying, stressreliving and annealing are byproducts of steam kilns not d.h kilns.
if your air drying oak for 6 months and it still takes 4-5 weeks to finish something isn't running right. the drying schedule for green r.oak is 28 days to 6%, compressor low on freon? drying cycle set to slow? not enough air speed in chamber?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!