iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there tension in that log?

Started by BBTom, March 22, 2006, 07:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTom

I was sawing some nice Hickory yesterday, and was trying to make nice wide 12" cuts, per customer orders,  when this happened.

There was no warning, or checks to speak of, I was halfway through the cut when it went POP.  Needless to say the rest of the boards off this log where from the narrow side .
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Bibbyman

I've had whole logs do that on the first cut. 

The one I remember most was small walnut that already had a crack starting.  I started making an opening face on the side 90 deg from the crack when it just busted open like a ripe watermellon. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

GF

That looks like a hackberry I was cutting the other day.

broker farmer

I had that happen on a sycamore log this winter.  Sure did make my jaws get tight!

Larry

Happens on walnut all the time...course the only boards that split are the 12" or wider FAS boards. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

highpockets

I am just glad to see that someone else experiences the things I do.   I thought it was me.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

jgoodhart

Nope, you left out all the tension :D

jpgreen

Quote from: highpockets on March 22, 2006, 05:37:57 PM
I am just glad to see that someone else experiences the things I do.   I thought it was me.

That's just because mostly some of the time it may have been..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!