iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"New" Stihl .325 NK chisel chain.

Started by HolmenTree, July 26, 2019, 11:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Just found this.
Stihl has finally made a .325 NK (narrow kerf) chain to compete with Oregon's 95VPX.  The added bonus this new 23RS Pro chain is chisel . The 95VPX is semi chisel.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sawguy21

Interesting. I wonder if the 40-50cc saws will be shipped with it unless otherwise specified.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 26, 2019, 11:48:36 AM
Interesting. I wonder if the 40-50cc saws will be shipped with it unless otherwise specified.
Roy, hard to say.
It definitely will make a brand new MS261CM cut really good right out of the box.
From what I see from the side view pictures the cutter profile looks alot like the new chains Husqvarna is making now.
Depth gauges further ahead, bigger gullet and a long cutter side plate.

ladylake

Around here I'll take the semi chisel, stay sharp a lot longer. I have a couple saws with 95vpx and yes they cut quite a bit faster.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kenskip1

Will this not make it more difficult to sharpen? Now only that but if someone hits a nail or something of this nature a narrower cuter is more likely to break.Under ideal circumstances yes this would be the ticket, however, how many times have someone been cutting under ideal conditions?
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

HolmenTree

Quote from: kenskip1 on July 26, 2019, 10:06:23 PM
Will this not make it more difficult to sharpen? Now only that but if someone hits a nail or something of this nature a narrower cuter is more likely to break.Under ideal circumstances yes this would be the ticket, however, how many times have someone been cutting under ideal conditions?
Well this narrow kerf 23RSS has a narrower cutter top plate so it will definitely take less effort to make a file stroke.
But the key here is we have a fast cutting chain with what is claimed to have a longer cutter to extend sharpening life versus a heavier 23RS .325 chain.
As in the past Stihl was limited to offer 3/8 Picco chain on saws from the 35cc MS201 rear handle saws, 40cc MS241  up to a 50cc MS261 .
Now we have a narrow kerf professional grade .325 chain that will get the best performance out of these smaller saws.
Sure I cut into a rock with a .404 chain on my 066 I have more damage to sharpen. Everything is relative.
And speaking of those little 3/8 Picco chains. When Stihl introduced it in 1979 it was not for the professional market. It was a cheap chain to manufacture due to having less pieces per foot over the 1/4" chain it replaced. 
The Picco was built for the cheaper low powered consumer saws with the benefit of lower kick back energy versus the1/4".
The .325 RSS is a professional grade yellow chain.

barbender

I've always liked the way the 95vpx performed, but I tended to blow the tips out of the bars. Otherwise I really liked it. I just reallyprefer a semi-chisel chain.
Too many irons in the fire

Ed

couldn't have came at a better time...my 254xp is due for a bar and some new chains.
It should really kick butt and take names with that chain.

Ed

Mad Professor

Stihl has made a version of their 3/8 picco chain for milling for quite some time.

It is labeled 63 PMX and quite hard to find in USA/Canada.  Logosol had a monopoly on it for their chainsaw mills .  It is excellent for milling and I've used it for > 20 years now.  The chassis is same as PM chain but cutters are 5 degrees.  It holds up to bigger saws well.  I use it with a 066. The narrow kerf cuts faster and saves wood, and a very smooth finish on lumber.

This new 0.325 chain is interesting as possible milling chain if reground cutters to milling angle.  How wide is kerf in comparison to 3/8 picco? Cost?

HolmenTree

MP, this all new news to me. I was hoping by starting this thread on this site that has good Stihl support that we may get some information.

From looking at the above pictures it looks like the drive links may be uniform .050" thickness. Stihl has always had .063" stepping down to .058, .050" except their smallest Picco chains.
So a flat .050 driver on a .325 chain is definitely a NK chain with a narrower top plate to boot.

Of course this chain will need a thinner matching bar. And from Stihls good track record I have trust in them to make a quality product.

livemusic

Just this month I bought a new bar and chain for a Stihl 026 -- Stihl Rollomatic E, 16", No. 3003 008 6813 VC .325 67 .063". Anyone know if this bar will work with the new chain?
~~~
Bill

Mad Professor

Quote from: livemusic on July 27, 2019, 11:08:43 PM
Just this month I bought a new bar and chain for a Stihl 026 -- Stihl Rollomatic E, 16", No. 3003 008 6813 VC .325 67 .063". Anyone know if this bar will work with the new chain?
You need a .325 bar with a 0.050 groove width.  That chains drivers will flop around in your bar.

realzed

So any .050 / 3003 mount bar would work or do you in fact need some type of 'newer' bar as Willard alluded to - or maybe he was just referring to a .050 gauge version verses a .063 or wider type?  I'm assuming (you know how well that works often) that this chain will come in 20" bar lengths and if so I may give one a shot if and when they become available up here in the wilds of Canada and the price isn't too much more than the regular RS version I presently use..  

sawguy21

A thinner bar is required. If you can have a look at a Husky with the narrow kerf and compare the bar to one running regular chain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

realzed

I always toyed with the idea of pricing out a newer lightweight Stihl bar - so maybe an opportunity to see how much both together might run when and if Stihl eventually would make such a bar in the future..
I know the bar itself wouldn't be cheap - but hopefully the chain will be the same or close to the cost of a regular RS type.. 
On a 261 it might be an interesting upgrade for my old achy back, hands, and arms and make the saw even more fun to use as well as bumping up the 'cut factor' overall without having to entertain a muffler mod etc..

Mad Professor

Quote from: realzed on July 28, 2019, 12:53:35 AM
So any .050 / 3003 mount bar would work or do you in fact need some type of 'newer' bar as Willard alluded to - or maybe he was just referring to a .050 gauge version verses a .063 or wider type?  I'm assuming (you know how well that works often) that this chain will come in 20" bar lengths and if so I may give one a shot if and when they become available up here in the wilds of Canada and the price isn't too much more than the regular RS version I presently use..  
besides 0.050" groove, sprocket tip needs to be 0.325 pitch, unless it's a hard nose bar

HolmenTree

Oregon and Husqvarna narrow kerf bars are .150" thick , standard bars are around .180".
Picco bars are averaging  .160"

I have a 35 year old handmade 3/8" competition bar that is .140" thick.

DelawhereJoe

How thick are the cheap rollomatic-E bars ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

This new chain has been in eastern Canada for about a month now.
Here's some pictures. From one picture I can see the drive links are even .050" thickness top to bottom making that narrow kerf capability. 

Old Greenhorn

Is this square ground or round ground out of the box?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 30, 2019, 09:10:18 AM
Regular round ground OG

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 30, 2019, 11:14:35 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 30, 2019, 09:10:18 AM
Regular round ground OG
AH shoot, so I would still have to put in the time to square it off on the first sharpening. I wish someone would sell them square in .325 x .050. OTOH I am still on the fence between square and round. I ran Square for a year and liked it a lot, but then put on a round chisel and also like that. I sharpen the square freehand, it's easy for me, but for the round I use a husky roller guide, which is quick and does a great job, especially on the left hand side where I always have trouble being consistent. So I remain on the fence.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

LeeB

You should probably try it in a vise or a stump vise. A fence is not a very good place to sharpen.  ::)  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

livemusic

So, they introduced the chain but no bar? Is there any bar that will work with this new chain?
~~~
Bill

HolmenTree

It's official, Stihl Canada 2019 Fall flyer came yesterday.
Pictured is new .325 RSP3 chisel chain.
Available in 4 configurations,  semi chisel and chisel. With or without guard links.
For some reason the gallery photo rotation control is broken.

Thank You Sponsors!