iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"New" Stihl .325 NK chisel chain.

Started by HolmenTree, July 26, 2019, 11:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddawg

This new chain should work well with the 50cc range saws. I was looking for a .325 NK for an 18" , 3003 mount bar for my old faithful 034 AV. It currently wears an Oregon versa cut bar with the EXL chain. No complaints at all with this combo, just at 54cc, anything greater than a bar length will push it a bit harder than I want to. I'll usually get out the big boy, 461R, and it's all but over at that point.
Willard, does Stihl make an ES bar for the .325 , 050 sprocket nose in a 3003 mount? I'd like to give it a try with a semi just to liven the old dog up after 30+ years of wearing a 3/8 yellow chain.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Reddawg on September 26, 2019, 11:40:18 AMWillard, does Stihl make an ES bar for the .325 , 050 sprocket nose in a 3003 mount? I'd like to give it a try with a semi just to liven the old dog up after 30+ years of wearing a 3/8 yellow chain.
Unfortunately Stihl does not make a ES .325 sprocket nose, only laminated E bars which are .050 or .063" from tail to sprocket nose.
Oregon, Carlton and Windsor do make a .325 detachable sprocket nose for  3003 mount .050 or
063 bars. But the sprocket nose is always .063
For this new NK Stihl.325 RSP chain you would be better off running a laminated 3003 .325  .050 E bar for its thinner then ES profile, in order to file the chain all the way back to the witness marks and still not bind in the cut.
I see no new Stihl NK .325 bar available so the regular .050 E bar must work for this chain.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Reddawg

Thanks Willard, I appreciate the reply. I looked all over and couldn't find anything from Stihl. I'm not sure but was the Oregon Speed Cut bar with the 95TXL  chain only for the Husky mount?
I've used the laminated bars for all my "dirt" saws but this saw is my go-to for a light quick saw. Perhaps someday I'll get the go for one of those 261cm with the b/c set up you have talked about a while back.
I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks

HolmenTree

Quote from: Reddawg on September 26, 2019, 05:56:08 PM
Thanks Willard, I appreciate the reply. I looked all over and couldn't find anything from Stihl. I'm not sure but was the Oregon Speed Cut bar with the 95TXL  chain only for the Husky mount?
I've used the laminated bars for all my "dirt" saws but this saw is my go-to for a light quick saw. Perhaps someday I'll get the go for one of those 261cm with the b/c set up you have talked about a while back.
I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks
Reddawg, yes there is a NK .050 .325 bar with a 3003 mount to fit a Stihl 024 and up. In 16" 18" and 20" , will take a 95VPX chain and the price is right too from $25 to $28 each.
Up until now I kept this a secret on this forum due to a ban of this bars supplier.
But here it is without mentioning names, if you do a quick Google you'll find this bar....
WoodlandPro Narrow Kerf Bars
#WPNK 16 SS50
#WPNK 18 SS50
#WPNK 20 SS50

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 27, 2019, 11:59:43 AMUp until now I kept this a secret on this forum due to a ban of this bars supplier.

Is that an actual "ban" or is it just a matter of "we don't like them very much anymore"? For the most part, I don't buy much from them anymore.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Reddawg

Thanks Willard, and I was trying to avoid them as well. No sense getting anyone, and me, in trouble for a review of it. I'll see if it's worth doing, perhaps there will be another brand from another place that I find .

HolmenTree

Well maybe "ban" was too strong of a phrase for some.  :)
But I'm sure my bit of information will help a few members on here...that's what I'm here for  ;)

barbender

They were never banned, in fact iirc correctly Jeff encouraged members to not change how they did business with Bailey's over them not sponsoring the forum any longer. It was more individual members that were angry with them about it, coupled with some of Bailey's business practices as the next generation of management took over. It was during that time period that they had a data breach where customer's cc info etc was hacked. I personally had my info hacked, and Bailey's didn't notify me until a long period of time after it took place. I'd already been contacted by the cc company long before because there were fraudulent charges on my card. I kind of felt like the letter I got from Bailey's was along the lines of "unfortunately we were hacked, bummer for you. Sorry." I wasn't very impressed, that was the last business I did with them. Probably 5-6 years ago? I can't remember for sure.
Too many irons in the fire

realzed

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 26, 2019, 07:27:45 AM
It's official, Stihl Canada 2019 Fall flyer came yesterday.
Pictured is new .325 RSP3 chisel chain.
Available in 4 configurations,  semi chisel and chisel. With or without guard links.
For some reason the gallery photo rotation control is broken.

Willard - of the .325 RSP or the .325 RMP - which of these two would be the same cutter face profile to the 23 RS I presently use and have files for?  
I always thought the RS versions were square chisel type - but again I'm  not that well versed in chains - and really only know it seems to work well for my purposes - but the appeal of a narrower cutter and one that speeds up cutting some does I admit, appeal to me if I can still use either my Stihl regular sharpener and files or newer 2 in 1 deal on it.
I have a 3003 E bar which I would like to change out for a lightweight version in the near future - is there a .50 or 3003 Stihl lightweight style of bar that would accommodate the new .325 23RSP chain - which is what I'm assuming would best match my present setup?
Thanks - Randy

gspren

Is this available through Stihl dealers in the US? Do you think an 18" NK on my 261 would cut similar to the standard kirf on my 16" bar?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on September 28, 2019, 08:52:28 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 26, 2019, 07:27:45 AM
It's official, Stihl Canada 2019 Fall flyer came yesterday.
Pictured is new .325 RSP3 chisel chain.
Available in 4 configurations,  semi chisel and chisel. With or without guard links.
For some reason the gallery photo rotation control is broken.

Willard - of the .325 RSP or the .325 RMP - which of these two would be the same cutter face profile to the 23 RS I presently use and have files for?  
I always thought the RS versions were square chisel type - but again I'm  not that well versed in chains - and really only know it seems to work well for my purposes - but the appeal of a narrower cutter and one that speeds up cutting some does I admit, appeal to me if I can still use either my Stihl regular sharpener and files or newer 2 in 1 deal on it.
I have a 3003 E bar which I would like to change out for a lightweight version in the near future - is there a .50 or 3003 Stihl lightweight style of bar that would accommodate the new .325 23RSP chain - which is what I'm assuming would best match my present setup?
Thanks - Randy
Quote from: gspren on September 28, 2019, 09:00:05 AM
Is this available through Stihl dealers in the US? Do you think an 18" NK on my 261 would cut similar to the standard kirf on my 16" bar?
The .325 RSP is the same profile as the 23RSC only thinner kerf.
RSP3 has the extra guard link which is a kickback energy reduction feature but slightly reduces performance.
.325 RMP is semi chisel.
These chains will work fine on a Stihl E laminated. 325 bar already on your MS261.
There is no reports from Stihl that the 2 in 1 file holder won't work with the new .325.

Mad Professor

Holmen,

Concerning bars for this chain, are the stihl E bars, 0.325 ,0.050 gauge narrow enough for these chains?  Any chance they would bind if you had the cutters filed almost all the way back?

Or better to get one of the Woodland bars you mentioned?

I get max life from my chains and file them until I start loosing cutters.

realzed

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 27, 2019, 11:05:59 AMOf course this chain will need a thinner matching bar. And from Stihls good track record I have trust in them to make a quality product.
Willard - I stopped at one of the local dealership (Stihl) and asked about the .325 RSP chain and was told they wouldn't be getting any until they sold a lot of their present stock of RS versions.. which sounded like it certainly could be quite a while.
I also enquired about the cost of a lightweight laminated bar for my 261 - guess that would be a 3003 mount .50" ES Lightweight version and was told after the guy who usually is quite experienced and knowledgeable about most Stihl stuff stared into his computer screen for a few minutes "they don't come made for chains less than 3/8" size - and .325 wouldn't be available regardless of any length I would want..
Do you know if this is in fact true?  
Typically Stihl parts being so hard to look up on-line or in fact impossible for an 'average non-dealership person' to find information on.. I figured you, who always seems to have an answer - might be best to run this by..
Is the guy EDITED BY ADMIN me or is he in fact correct and I'll never see a lightweight ES bar that will work for a 261 - at least in a .325/.050" configuration?
Thanks - Randy  

HolmenTree

Randy, your dealer is not b.s.ing you.
ES Light  bars and E laminated bars are 2 different design applications.
A E bar can be lighter then a ES Light bar of equal length.  The weight gain of the ES bar is in the heavy duty detachable .063 3/8" sprocket nose and the extra thickness of the bar overall.

ES bars are for heavy duty cutting with a higher powered powerhead used mostly for commercial grade cutting. Extra thickness and a strong sprocket nose is needed for durability.

E bars in .325 and 3/8 pitch are low priced  consumer grade for occasional use. Yes E bars can be sold on a commercial grade saw by your dealer. But in Canada a bar and chain is included in the price of a new saw, 16" being the lowest price.
In the U.S. powerhead only is a popular way of sale.

Mad Professor, yes the Woodland Pro NK .325 bar is a good option but a Stihl E bar will also work well as they are approximately. 020" thinner then a ES bar.
I've used the 95VPX NK and Husqvarna equivalent on a Stihl E bar and I had no problems.
The trick is when the cutters are filed down small to the point when the cutter tops start breaking off ...you need to increase the top plate angle to 40° or more to prevent binding.
The extra angle will make the cutters pull out sideways more making a wider kerf.

HolmenTree

I put a digital caliper on 3 bars.
Average thickness with paint, approximate:

.325 NK bar 0.150"
.325 E bar.   0.160"
3/8 ES Light bar 0.180"

Mad Professor

Thanks for your insights Holmen.

Looks like the 0.325 NK bar would work best.

I was wondering about using this chain for milling using 5-10 degree cutters.

sawguy21

Any saw running .325 is going to be grossly underpowered for milling.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mad Professor

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 03, 2019, 11:10:00 PM
Any saw running .325 is going to be grossly underpowered for milling.
I was planning on trying it on my woods ported 066 with a DP muffler.
I'm using Stihl 3/8 picco 63PMX chain now.  It gives a nice smooth cut with narrow kerf but is expensive.

HolmenTree

I wish I took a picture, about 20 years ago I was running 25RM .325 on a 36" double ended bar milling with a 044 and 066 on each end.
Worked really good, only trouble I couldn't find a reliable helper who wanted to mill 8 hours a day. :D

Mad Professor

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 04, 2019, 07:54:36 AM
I wish I took a picture, about 20 years ago I was running 25RM .325 on a 36" double ended bar milling with a 044 and 066 on each end.
Worked really good, only trouble I couldn't find a reliable helper who wanted to mill 8 hours a day. :D
I brought a logosol M5 mill >20 years ago.  On sale package came with new 066 and 3/8 picco milling chain setup.  It think it was $2300 USD with chainsaw and bars/chains. 
The 63 PMX chain was reasonable back then, but prices went crazy.  So was the special spur sprocket to run 3/8 picco on a 066 expensive.  I had Danzco make up a bunch of picco rims to fit the 066.
Since then, GB has introduced a bunch of 3003 mount 3/8 picco soild sprocket tip bars for Stihls, they also have 3/8 picco rims.
I learned milling working at a commercial mill, getting $$$ for college years back.  Hard work, started out as a stacker, 6 X 8" X 12' hemlock was no fun.....
At least my little mill I can work at my own, now slower, pace.

HolmenTree

MP, nice setup . I was always interested in those Logosols.

When the forestry company I worked for transformed to mechanical harvesting in the solid wood division (logging) I parked my chainsaw temporarily and took the transfer to the lumber division .  
Big mill at 11 acres under one roof. Heated with steam from the pulp and paper mills.  Steam also heated the kilns and produced electric power for the whole mill site.
Luckily when I was timber falling I missed the old green chain in the lumber mill where softwood lumber up to 2"×12"×16 ft was pulled and stacked by hand onto steel wheeled pallets for the forklifts to take to the kilns and then onto the planer.
The J hook drop bins and automatic stacker was a good addition.
But crews still had to pull lumber off the dry chain at the planer outfeed, I did that for the first year before I got my grading ticket.

Starting in 1997 a new company named Tolko from B.C. took over and spent about a $100 million on upgrades to the lumber division, including about that same amount again to the pulp and paper division .
We then had  a fully computerized sawmill large and small log lines plus 2 new planers with automatic trim saws, stampers and sorter drop bins housed in another building 100 yards long.

I retired in 2004 and then went full time with my tree service . I only parked my saws for only a couple of weeks after logging and transition to the mill. Sitting in a grader chair left me with lots of energy to do residential tree work after hours, little tough in the first year pulling lumber on the dry chain.

Here's a few pics of a unique chainsaw mill a Australian firefighter found abandoned in the bush.

sawguy21

I did a stint on the green chain, it was cold, dusty, mind numbing work but we were treated well. The mill went on strike over a stupid issue, I never went back.

HolmenTree

We went on strike when  the new company took over but only lasted a few weeks.
The pulp and paper division besides regular yearly maintenance shutdowns has been running steady since 1969 and still today is breaking new production records. They're not effected by the softwood dispute with our good neighbors to the south.
But the lumber division was effected and has been shut down for 11 years
Most of its equipment is milling in northern Alberta now.

When I retired in 2004 my light colored plastic lunch kit was sooty black from the diesel forklifts. Wasn't the best for your health working in a heated indoor environment.

sawguy21

I know Tolko and the Thorlakson family, they have a large sawmill/plywood plant not far from here that is not doing well at the moment. Back to the original topic, it will be interesting to see how well Stihl does with the new chain. Oregon 95VP is popular on the Husqvarna consumer saws but I didn't see it elsewhere..

barbender

My Husky 346xp (pro saw) was equipped with the 95vp bar and chain new (whatever it was relabeled as by Husky). I always liked the way the chain cut, but I had issues with those bars blowing nose sprockets. My 346 has been sitting on the bench for a couple of years, it has a carb issue and I haven't got around to fixing it. When I do, it needs a new bar and chain, and I'm not sure what I'll go with.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!