iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

That stubborn *DanG saw

Started by D._Frederick, February 19, 2009, 07:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I went a got myself 25 gallons of 92 octane premium alcohol free gas, mixed it and got out  the 372 that I ran the fuel out around Thanks Giving time. I started by putting on choke and about  ten pulls, put choke on half way, another 15-20 pulls it finallyl pops and runs.
I am working on the third tank of fuel, I would have loved to show this saw who is boss with a shot of ether!

The saw was set-up by the tech. at Madsens, it has a lot of power and starts with one pull when warm. What the trick to get it running when drained of fuel?

Cut4fun

I use a oil squirt bottle. The ones used to squirt oil, except I keep one with mix in it and give a couple squirts into the carb with choke open and throttle open to prime a saw to a quick life.

Maineloggerkid

Crank and crank and crank until the gas gets in the lines. Then it will run right on a scream until the mixture richens back up and the air gets out.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Rocky_J

I have four 372s and they all take several pulls to fire when cold. It is the nature of the beast. Of the four, the best running saw also takes the most pulls to fire when cold. Once it's warm then it fires on one pull every time.

ALWAYS use the decomp button. Over several years it will save you lots of money in worn starter parts, as well as lots of energy. Just get in the habit of using it all the time and those 10-12 pulls to start it won't be much effort at all.

Dave Shepard

Right now my 394 is at 1-2 pulls cold, or 3-5 cold with decomp. I've busted the recoil a couple of times.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Al_Smith

It's one thing to wear your arm out yanking on a 70 cc saw and a horse of a different color if it's a 100 plus machine .

I don't even fool with them .If they don't fire in about 6 I get out the squeeze bottle .

It's hard to say why some are such miserable rascals to start and others behave themselves . My best is a Poulan s-25 that will light off in 4 if it's sat for 6 months ,believe it of not . Then I have a 2100 Husky that will wear out a gorrilla if it sits more than two days . Oddly enough if that man killer saw is fired every day it gets with it on just 2 or 3 . ???

RSteiner

I have a 272xp that when cold takes 7+ pulls with the decompression on and the choke pulled on.  At the first pop I take push the choke off and hit the decomp. and the next pull usually has it started.

The Husky 257 starts with alomst the exact same procedure cold.  After both saws have been warmed up 1 to 2 pulls is all that is necessary.  The Dolmar 5100S I have maybe takes 1 or 2 less pulls to start cold than the Husky's and usually starts the first pull after that.

Of all the chainsaws I've owned, there have been around 10 of them or so, that has pretty much been the normal starting experience.

Randy
Randy

chainspinrunner

Try not to run it dry!!! The more pulls on a motor that is not running the worse. Usually you can tell when a saw is starting to run out of fuel because the RPM'S start raising quickly. See if you can tell this and shut the saw down to fill it. Running any motor out of fuel is just bad.
Grose

D._Frederick

I empteed the fuel out of the tank and run the carburator dry, I don't like the money or time to re-build the carburator that is gummed up. Besides there is the risk of stripped screws in re-building.

About how much fuel do you put in the carburator to prime it ( two -three teaspoons) ? I would think that too much would flood it.

If you are not going to run a 2 cycle engine for 3-4 months,what do you do?

Cut4fun

2 squirts = you got me. Usually fires off and if it stops another squirt.
I dont do nothing special for 3-4 months of setting, just drain run dry.  Some I dont depends on saw.

Ed

Quote from: D._Frederick on February 20, 2009, 02:05:40 PM

Just let it sit. Never had any problems with carbs gumming up.
My 084 is lucky if it runs 2 times a year, I will dump the old gas & put fresh in before starting, but thats it.

Ed

chainspinrunner

Another hint for ya, which is a little off topic is to wipe vaseline on your fuel lines (outside) to help prevent dry-rotting if you leave it sit for a while.
Grose

Al_Smith

Quote from: Ed on February 20, 2009, 02:55:24 PM
Quote from: D._Frederick on February 20, 2009, 02:05:40 PM

Just let it sit. Never had any problems with carbs gumming up.
My 084 is lucky if it runs 2 times a year,   Ed

That I might add is about the typical amount of usage of many large saws which is why they last forever or so it seems .

I think it's a good idea to run them dry but to tell the truth I don't always ,seldom actually . Many way argue but I've got saws I've owned for thirty years that have never had carb problem .I also have a couple that it's about every two years for a rebuild .

One,an 042 Stihl it seems every time I want to use it it needs carb work and that one I run dry . The last time it took a fit on me I banished that foul tempered so and so to the shelf . There it sits until I get over my pout which has been 3 years to date . I might relent though and rebuild it again .

SamB

Just about all 2 cycle mixing oils today contain stabilizers; I never worry about draining the fuel out of my saws and trimmers. I've used mixed fuel that's a year old with no problems.

tyb525

The 036 that I use right now is 10 years old, and I can say that we never drained the gas or anything, and it still runs great to this day. Always starts in 2-3 pulls when cold, almost always one when warm.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!