iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grit's Again

Started by Magicman, February 16, 2018, 07:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Finding a good toaster oven will not be an easy task because the timers on the new ones leave a lot to be desired.  The only ones with a decent timer that were reasonably priced that we found were Oster.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I've tried 3 so far and still looking. My old toastmaster oven works great but apparently because it's 25 years old it doesn't "fit" in the kitchen scheme anymore..
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

found em

Went to my priest, got last rites, will try with egg in the morning.
Our toaster is an Oster works good.
I had to ask in my market as they werent with the other brand of grits.
Didnt realize that it is just coarse ground corn and are also an Italian thing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

I think mine is a Cuisinart. Makes a heckuva frozen pizza.  ::)

It does work really well for reheating pizza.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

Quote from: Magicman on February 16, 2018, 07:54:10 PM
It's been too long so tonight it was Grit's & Egg.

Along with Toast and Pepper Jelly.  MMmmmm.
it should be life in prison for doing that to a helpless egg

thecfarm

Not a bad thing to do that to a helpless egg. The bad thing is telling how good it is and I should try it.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Pete, I see yours are gluten free, wheat free, and dairy free.  Isn't that all corn? 

These are the ones I see around here. I was tempted to buy them just to save the next guy. :)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Let the ones that buy that stuff suffer thier ill fate.  Them Flat Landers come up here and try to change our eating habits. ::)   A diet of bread,meat and cheese is good for ya. That stuff was not even in our stores 30 years ago. I have no idea what the state of Maine is coming too. Than we let that cracker barrel store in my great state of Maine. I do not want to be asked,do you want grits with that? ::) I would have to ask that person how long have they been in the state of Maine?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

QuoteI would have to ask that person how long have they been in the state of Maine?

The state of Maine could also be a state of Mind.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnW

I wonder if the Minute Men ate grits

WDH

They would have if they could have.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

JohnW,

They would have but I don't think they had instant grits back then. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

I have spent a lot of time down south, grits were kind of an East Texas east thing, central Texas on west not so much.

I dearly love my fish and sea food, but even in the deep south, have never seen grits served with fried fish, that would just ruin the appetite, I'm thinking.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WV Sawmiller

Starmac,

grits, and normally cheese grits, were a staple side fish for any fish fry in Florida. From central Fla south swamp cabbage was also standard fare but it was unavailable further north.

We serve them (grits) here when we have a fish fry for my wife's retired teacher luncheons and grits are always a bit hit. Some attendees will eat 3-4 helpings.

If you are a hard core grit hater you will not like them with anything but if you are more cultured and willing to give them a fair shake, try them with fish too. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

Y'all need to try shrimp and grits, get over that phobia about corn!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

starmac

Now I am cracking up, I was raised eating grits, now I have a choice, nothing to do with gritphobia, nor hard core hater, more to do with the taste and the fact I have a choice of what I eat. He he.

I actually lived in Florida for a short while, and have spent quite a bit of time there, and never knew grits and fish were common, I have so far never been offered grits with fish or seafood there, or anywhere else that I can remember.

Magicman

Maybe you shoulda joined WDH in Reply #14.  ;D

WV Sawmiller

Starmac,

Maybe you neglected to give the secret cracker handshake when you ordered fish in Fla and they thought you were a spy from north of the MD line.  ;D

I have all the respect in the world for people who try grits (or any food for that matter) with an open mind then find they don't like it. I refused to eat squid for a long time till I finally tried some and have kicked myself ever since for the lost opportunities. 

My three granddaughters routinely refuse to try many foods we eat (Grits, Black-eyed peas, plantains, etc). I have hopes as they mature they will learn better. My 14 month old grandson (Maybe he just doesn't know better) eats a wide variety of foods and is open to try anything. Its probably good everyone doesn't eat grits or there would not be enough for the rest of us.
Howard Green

Raider Bill

My Son Wild Bill eats grits. There I said it, My Son Eats Grits.
Whew.
You have no idea how bundling that inside me has affected my world. Now maybe I can talk to my doctor about getting off the antidepressants.
 My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits.  My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits.  My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits.  My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits.  My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits. My Son eats grits.

No matter how many times I say it just doesn't sound right.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

starmac

I may have been mistaken for many different things, but I doubt anybody ever mistook me for a yankee. lol

I like food too much not to at least try things, I have always been willing to try most everything, some once was enough though, and might be different if prepared a better way and I missed out.
Growing up black eyed peas were a must at least on new years day, but I likes them and sure don't mind having them on a regular basis.
I like 99% of traditional southern foods, and in a pinch will even eat grits, but there are a few that will never again be stuck in my mouth, unless it is a matter of starving to death. Pretty much anything pickled or raw oysters right off the top of my head. Oh yea, I loves me some frog legs, but only fried.

Now my grand daughters lived their younger years in southern Georgia and northern Florida, they just didn't know better than to be eating grits, raw oysters, even boiled peanuts.

JohnW

WV Sawmiller, that's a good one about the Minute Men didn't have instant grits.  Sounds like the subject matter for a good commercial.

Paul Revere:  THE BRITISH ARE COMING.

Minute Man:  THANKS, SEE YOU IN LEXINGTON.

Minute Woman:  I'll fix you something to eat on the way to keep your strength up.

Minute Man:  Now Honey, we talked about this.  I've got to get on my way in a minute.  . . . . .

sawguy21

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 20, 2018, 03:59:00 PM
Starmac,

Maybe you neglected to give the secret cracker handshake when you ordered fish in Fla and they thought you were a spy from north of the MD line.  ;D

I have all the respect in the world for people who try grits (or any food for that matter) with an open mind then find they don't like it. I refused to eat squid for a long time till I finally tried some and have kicked myself ever since for the lost opportunities.

My three granddaughters routinely refuse to try many foods we eat (grits, Black-eyed peas, plantains, etc). I have hopes as they mature they will learn better. My 14 month old grandson (Maybe he just doesn't know better) eats a wide variety of foods and is open to try anything. Its probably good everyone doesn't eat grits or there would not be enough for the rest of us.
I am the same way. I will try almost anything, some foods such as bell peppers only once, and have found a lot of odd things surprisingly good. I even overcame my prejudice and attempted raw oysters, actually enjoyed them while Karen lost her appetite :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

I tried a raw oyster and immediately found it was just a waste of a good fried oyster. Studying 60' fish tapeworms in parasitology class in college did not help.

I have always heard this question and wondered about the answer: "How drunk did the first guy have to be to try eating a raw oyster?"  ???
Howard Green

WDH

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 20, 2018, 01:44:27 PM
but if you are more cultured......
That is the problem here :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Paul_H

We went to Hawaii for ten days at Christmas and I bought a pack of grits(Bobs Redmill) the first morning and had bacon,eggs and grits every DanG morning. I grew Floriana corn last summer and grind and separate my own as well as corn meal for pancakes and cornbread.
Would never have tried them if not for the forestry forum and Tom Cadenhead sending me a couple of packages many years ago.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!