iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydrolic system

Started by lyle niemi, April 22, 2012, 06:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

I did as much as I could do with the conveyor for now. I started to mount the hydrolics and the gauge panel. I might have things done this week????

Magicman

Paint something yellow and you will have a John Deere sawmill.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lyle niemi

Quote from: Magicman on April 22, 2012, 06:23:05 PM
Paint something yellow and you will have a John Deere sawmill.   ;D
when or if it warms up the paint brush will come out and play. lol

ALWOL

Looks like the combine has provided more parts than just the engine! You have done a very good job using what is available. In the first photo I noticed that the tensioner for the main flat belt is positioned above the "tight" side of the belt. It will work fine that way when under light loads, but will let the slack grow on the bottom side when under a hard load and slip. I had to learn that the hard way! For best results the tensioner should always be against the "slack" side of the belt, as I am sure it was on the combine.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on April 22, 2012, 06:40:12 PM
   Looks like the combine has provided more parts than just the engine! You have done a very good job using what is available. In the first photo I noticed that the tensioner for the main flat belt is positioned above the "tight" side of the belt. It will work fine that way when under light loads, but will let the slack grow on the bottom side when under a hard load and slip. I had to learn that the hard way! For best results the tensioner should always be against the "slack" side of the belt, as I am sure it was on the combine.

Alan
I know what your sayin but I thought I would try it like this first. I spent alot of time trying to figure out a easy way to mount the idler on the slack side. I could do it but its gonna take some engineering. If it dont work I will try to figure out how to get it down there.

ALWOL

I know what you are saying about the "engineering" part! It will work like that, I just don't know how well.

Alan

bandmiller2

Lyle, looking at the first picture in this post if you had the flat pulley idler pivot on that upright by the muffler it could come up under the slack side of the belt.Weight could be added on the outher side of the bar to increase tension.It would also increase the wrap on the smaller engine pulley.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

davey duck

was that a 105 john deere combine ,that is the best place to get belts and pulleys, was that a flat or V belt pulley on the engine
David G.Fleming

lyle niemi

Quote from: davey duck on April 23, 2012, 09:44:49 AM
was that a 105 john deere combine ,that is the best place to get belts and pulleys, was that a flat or V belt pulley on the engine
It come out of a 730 JD, they were made in Germany. It had a flat belt on it and there is alot of pulleys and belts on that machine. 8)

markd

You and Your buddy are animals there Lyle, really like seeing your pictures, can't wait to see some sawdust fly. Markd
markd

lyle niemi

Quote from: markd on April 23, 2012, 11:01:08 AM
You and Your buddy are animals there Lyle, really like seeing your pictures, can't wait to see some sawdust fly. Markd
Its just me now, Dave went back to work in germany last week. He thought he was coming here for a 2 week vacation..lol

dave9252

Its good being back with the military, i needed a break after working with Lyle. I just hope its up and running 110% before i am back over. That way i can enjoy some time off ;D ;D

lyle niemi

Having problems figuring things out on this pump and tank. There is a line on the side of the pump that I dont know what it is for. I assume it might have something to do with the power steer thats on the combine. On the tank the is 2  90s and Im not sure if I can just put plugs in them. Does anybody know how I can plumb this in ?? I have a 3 spool valve from a different machine.

Al_Smith

I imagine what you have is a double impeller pump .One supply line and two discharge lines .

The larger of the three should be the suction line and the other two the pressure lines .

The valve looks a little odd .I'll have to look at it a tad bit to figure it out .

Al_Smith

That odd ball contraption on the tank looks like some kind of a flow diverter .Not really sure what it is .

ALWOL

Lyle,
   That is a gear pump you have, not an impeller pump. It does not look like any of the pumps on our combines, but like Al Smith said, it could be a two-section pump, although from the looks of it, I would bet not. It looks like your pump has a built-in relief, and if so the third hose is the bleed-off line for the relief valve. Put some oil in the reservoir and turn the pump by hand to see if oil runs out of it quickly.
   As for the "valve" on the reservoir, it may be just a junction block. Regardless, you will simply need to connect the hose directly to your 3 spool valve, and do away with the junction block. Also make sure that your spool valve is the open center type, (let's oil circulate freely until you pull a lever) and that it has a built in, adjustable, relief valve.

Alan

reride82

Alan is right about hooking one of the lines from your pump to your spool valve. My setup came off of a combine as well and before I took everything off I traced the lines. You have a two section pump, most likely one drove the hydraulic steering like mine did, this is usually a low flow section and the other is a higher flow section which was used for the hydraulics on the rest of the machine. I use the high flow for my carriage drive and the low flow will be used for my sawdust removal chain. I don't have that hooked up so it is just run back to my return line to the reservoir for now. My hydraulic system on my mill is bare bones compared to what was on the combine.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

lyle niemi

Quote from: reride82 on April 23, 2012, 08:25:43 PM
Alan is right about hooking one of the lines from your pump to your spool valve. My setup came off of a combine as well and before I took everything off I traced the lines. You have a two section pump, most likely one drove the hydraulic steering like mine did, this is usually a low flow section and the other is a higher flow section which was used for the hydraulics on the rest of the machine. I use the high flow for my carriage drive and the low flow will be used for my sawdust removal chain. I don't have that hooked up so it is just run back to my return line to the reservoir for now. My hydraulic system on my mill is bare bones compared to what was on the combine.
The line on the side of the pump, is that the low flow section? and if I dont use it I can just tee into my return line from the 3 spool valve, correct ???

Woodchuck53

Lyle. Maybe a silly question but do you have the book on that old combine. The Case 960's I tore down had a full hyd. schematic in the back. The pump turned out to be to low for me once I started reading about the system. Thank goodness dad had kept all the old books. They have all sorts of good info. I like your build so for. Stay safe. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Al_Smith

Theoretically you could tee the two pressure lines together I suppose providing you have enough hose size to take that amount of flow .

With a double pump though you have the option of operating basically two systems independent from one another .

For example on that three valve thing you talked about the first spool in the valve will pretty much rob the other two in the line,the second will over ride the third etc .

If you wanted to you could run your carriage feed from one pump section and the sawdust chain from the other .

On that though I think a regular hydramotor control valve might be a better option than a multi spooled valve off a dozer or a backhoe which I assume is what you have .That is providing that's what you have in mind .

The problem with a multi spool from a piece of equipment is the spools are center return spring loaded and one most likely has a float setting which won't do you any good .

A hydramotor valve has a certain amount of flow regulation to it but I suppose you could use a spring center return spool and use flow controllers in the line and get the same thing .You'd have to hold the valve though for whatever direction rather than just shove the thing and it stay in position .

You have enough junk --er treasures around there I'm sure you'll find something to get-er-done . ;)

lyle niemi

Thanx guys! all your info will help me alot. if the weather is good tomorrow I will try to get that done 8)

markd

Don't worry Lyle, Dave will be back soon to help you finish up.
markd

lyle niemi

I got things piped in today, all the tresures that I found worked ..so far
I did have one little trouble spot tho... I had the pump turning the wrong way, I had to revamp my pump bracket the reinstalled the pump and things started to turn. I have a mess of hoses everywhere but now that I know things are gonna work I will take some time to tidy things up abit. I shot a video but I have to send it to dave first so he can put it on UTUBE then on here.
I really want to thank you guys for the help on the hydraulics on this project, you saved me alot of head scratching.
Heres a couple of pics.....

beenthere

You make some awesome progress day in and day out. :)

I assume that last pic showing the hose against the belted pulley won't stay that way for long.  ;);)

Or is it some kind of brake?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Well looks aren't that important unless you're going to enter it in a rod and custom show or a county fair . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!