iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Very little info.

Started by Woodhauler, September 30, 2012, 01:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Arsenault

Quote from: MikeMerrysGirl on October 15, 2012, 11:36:58 AM
Quote from: James Arsenault on October 12, 2012, 09:12:08 PM
MikeMerry'sGirl..... I am so sorry for all of you affected by this. I have heard nothing but good about Mike.

I never met him, but I am friends with Mike's son-in-law, Mike Seaman from Newcastle. My sons met Mike Merry at Billy Seaman's birthday party, the boys were jammin', Billy on drums, my boys on guitars, and even though the music the boys were playing was different than Mike liked, he sat down at the drums and jammed with the boys for a bit.

The boys said they talked a while with "Mr. Merry", and they liked him.

James,

I was with Mike at the Seaman's home when your sons were there for Billy's birthday party.  I have some wonderful photos of Mike, Gabriel, and your sons that I took while they played music in the garage, your boys on guitars and Mike and Gabriel on the drums. After we left the Seaman's home Mike immediately talked to me in the truck about how amazing he thought your sons were.  He really had enjoyed talking to them and thought they were two fine young men.

Debbie

Thank you for the kind words for my sons.

MikeMerrysGirl

If you'd liked to see a video of Mike at work in the woods, the web address is http://vimeo.com/m/50636398
The video is called "A Day in the Woods with Mike Merry."  You can probably just go to Google and type "Mike Merry vimeo"  Mike was such a sweet and funny man, and I loved that Maine dialect!  In August when we were at Waterman's having lobster, two couples from out of state shared a picnic table with us, and Mike enthralled them with his stories of logging, farming in Maine, and ballroom dancing.  He was a born entertainer (and teacher) and people just loved to listen to him. Here is an address where you can see Mike dancing the hustle, which he loved to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkX1vev61x8&feature=youtu.be 

1270d

Thanks for posting.  Im sure that film will be a very nice way to remember mike in the years to come.

Okrafarmer

That's a great video. I would have enjoyed watching it even if he had lived. It makes it even more meaningful now.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

That is one of the better videos I've seen on logging. Shows it being done without skipping along on short snippits of film.
May Mike rest in peace.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

I liked both videos, to bad for sure seemed like a very likeable fellow.
Bill

Ron Scott

Well done! Great videos in memory of Mike. I would have appreciated knowing him.
~Ron

MikeMerrysGirl

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.  I don't know how anyone gets over something like this.  Debbie

beenthere

You'll never be "over it", but you can move on with your life and not have it get the best of you.
Be thankful for the good times with Mike and pass the fun spirit he had on to others in your life. Sounds like he was a great role model.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

Debbie, you never lose someone you hold in your heart. 
Say when

ga jones

They are not dead who live in the hearts they leave behind
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Okrafarmer

You will never be over it entirely, but the days will get easier over time. I hope you have family and friends you can lean on. I'm glad you came on here and shared all this with us. As long as you wish to participate here, we'll be your friends and encourage you too.  :)

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

MikeMerrysGirl

The skidder that killed Mike Merry was a John Deere 440C.  What do you know about them?  Mike was told that the emergency brake on that skidder didn't work.

Quote from: snowstorm on October 15, 2012, 05:47:00 PM
on the older john deeres never trust the parking brake. they were known for self releasing. set the brake then put it in park. just remeber to take it out of park before releasing the parking brake

240b

I remember the "parking brake" (on a 440c) was an external disk brake on the rear drive line directly behind the transmission. They were always covered with grease and seldom worked well. Many guys just took disk off (they would over heat and start a fire)and used the internal brake which i think, was though the brake pedal. The later ones like the one he is operating in your video had an internal wet brake which was way better. Actually in that video he is shown pulling up the parking brake lever. I remember watching that and thinking there is a lot of travel in that lever before it stopped. I realize that is a different machine.  I ran a 440c the old man had, I was never comfortable around that thing and the brakes worked.

MikeMerrysGirl

I thought I'd share the last of the info I have on Mike's accident.  We think he parked the skidder next to a tree using the partially lowered blade to "anchor" the skidder to that tree.  He did not lower the blade all the way to the ground, and you can tell that because of where the bark was ripped off the tree and there was no trail left from the blade dragging across the ground as the skidder rolled down the slope toward Mike.  The skidder was still running when Mike was found.  After Mike parked the skidder, he hooked the cable to a tree that was about 60 feet down the slope from the skidder.  Then he cut down that tree.  We think that when the tree fell, the cable pulled the skidder just enough so that it was no longer "anchored" to the tree where it was parked, and it rolled down the hill backwards, hit Mike (who could not have heard it coming because he had on his helmet and ear protection), and finally stopped when it ran into a tree located about 20 feet from where Mike was hit.  Mike's chainsaw was near him when he was found.  The thing I don't understand is why did the skidder zigzagg back and forth on its way down the slope headed for Mike.  You could easily see in the leaves the path the skidder took.  Does anyone have any idea why the skidder would zigzagg down the slope as it traveled backwards toward Mike?  My advice to all you good men: Stay home if you are as tired as Mike was that day, and never turn your back on a skidder.  There are people out there who love you very much and want to see you come home from the woods.  Do it for them.

Woodhauler

Sometimes there is no answer. Things just happen. It will get better with time! Feel free to come on here and ask, talk or what ever! Wish i could have met Mike! He was killed a couple of vmiles from my home! Never had the pleasure of hauling any wood for him, and i worked for prentiss and carlise for a couple of years!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Okrafarmer

I'm not sure why it would have zig-zagged. Maybe if I had seen the tracks and the terrain, I could tell you. So sorry you've had to go through all this.

240b

if the machine was parked with the frame "bent" and the tree pulled it down hill it might appear to zig zag as it coasted and than was pulled back in the direction the tree was going and coasted again.  really can't tell with out see like okra said..   sorry for your loss..

Stephen Alford

MikeMerrysGirl , my condolences to you and your family, so sorry for your loss. I can not imagine how difficult this has been for you. Thank-you for taking the time to tell us what happened.
logon

gjersy

RIP. Sorry to read about the accident.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

Thank You Sponsors!