iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade edger/trimmer/rip saw/chop saw

Started by Kbeitz, July 11, 2015, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

All in one.... I need a chop saw to get rid of my slab wood.
But i all so need an edger. And it sure would be nice to have a saw to cut BIG angles...
So I think I will build an all in one saw....
I have large liner bearings.
I have saw blades.
I have large electric motors and gas engines.
I have the time.
I have the dreams.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Tree Dan

It looks dangerous to me. How are the legs going to be fastened to the table?
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Kbeitz

Quote from: Tree Dan on July 11, 2015, 08:34:57 PM
It look dangerous to me. How are the legs going to be fastened to the table?

Legs are far from being done... All treaded rod goes all the way across the table and through the legs.
It will be a very sturdy table when I'm finished with it. I over do things not under do them.
The blades will have guards and all...
But I'm open for any suggestions.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

The man is gonna build himself a buzzsaw.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

It just drives me nutz to see saw blades like those with paintings on them, hanging on a restaurant wall.  I love my buzz saw.  I got it for $100 from an 80 year old farmer.  Probably the best $100 I ever spent.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Kbeitz

Dreaming all night and I cant sleep.
I build thing on the fly. Looking over what I have and making trips to the junkyard to find new things.
I would love to build this using two blades on the edger part but finding or making something
that would let one blade slide for adjustment is tough.
Some maybe one blade with a power feeder is what I will do. Still dreaming.
In about 12 hours I'm off to the flea market to look for more ideas.
This is a rough drawing looking down from the top of one of my ideas.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got a long ways to go but I think I got it layed out the way i want it...
There will be a line shaft run under the table to run everything.
Still not sure it it's going to be gas or electric.
Lots more braces to put under the table for the legs yet.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

deadfall

Are you going to swage that edger/buzz blade? Those four other blades in the first post are crosscut, right?
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

kensfarm

I think a nice slab table and chainsaw will be less handling..  take the slabs from the sawmill to the slab table.  I looked at everyone's slab tables on the forum.. and designed this one.  It's do a few mods.. better bottom boards.. some lengthwise crossbracing.  Meant to be chainsaw & fork lift friendly for easy loading and chainsawing of stacks of slabs... spaced braces for chainsawing stacks.. no measuring needed.  I'd feel safer w/ the saw in my hands.. be safe. 

Kbeitz

Thanks for all the ideas. Yea the saw blades will need swaged and resharpened and set.
Thats no problem. I need to do more than just cut slabs but I sure do like that slab table.
The part of my machine that will cut the slabes will have a slideing table off the liner bearings.
I will put a rotating blade cover on the blade that retracks back with each cut.
The long rip side will have a lot more rollers all around the blade.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

It took me all day 14 hours just to put the rollers on and I still got the small rollers to cut and install.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very nice. Looks like a table a Magicman would use to saw a goat woman in half.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dustyhat

I think i got it all , but i cant figure out how that one wheel bandsaws going to work out :D :D

kensfarm

Thanks on the slab table.. built it so my brother could keep up the slabbing.. I have hired help on the weekends now.   It's starting to take shape.. looking good.  How many HP is needed to make those blades sing?   

Kbeitz

The one wheel band saw was bought just like that from our local junk yard.
I was lucky to have a lower wheel in my stash. When I put in the lower wheel
I will give it plenty of adjustment because I also got 77 new starrett band saw blades from the same junk yard.
But they came in many different sizes and I want to use as many as I can.

I'm still up in the air on what HP I'm going to need to run this thing.
In my stash I have these options.
5 Hp electric.
20 Hp onan gas
14 Hp Kohler gas

Suggestions ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 13, 2015, 08:50:10 PM
Very nice. Looks like a table a Magicman would use to saw a goat woman in half.  :)
I don't need two goats women.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

Where is @weiseyboy or @meadowsmiller when you need them... ;) Looks a lot like The bench saws they use down under. Another member, Jim King, built a similar saw but made his rollers out of some exotic hardwood (not exotic to him as he lived in S America).
There's a lot of teeth on those saws...you may need more ponies you think, depending on what you'll be sawing with them.
Keep up the great work. Looks like loads of fun.  8) 8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Gdaddy

Looks like a good setup, I'm very interested in how it turns out. Been toying around with some ideas , but not with blades that big.
TK 1220 mill
Massy Ferguson 40 tractor

Kbeitz

It sure took a lot of time cutting the rollers down to fit around the blade.
I put a wood liner right next to the blade and a strip of steel on top.
The blade has about 1/4" of wood protection from the steel.
Last picture I'm starting on my linear slide table.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dustyhat

Just curios how your going to feed lumber into this , by hand or build a power feed system. and some hold down rollers. you probably  know but them saws have some sever rideup and kick back.

beenthere

You sure get a lot of ideas and whip things up in short order.

Hope it turns out well for you. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

Quote from: dustyhat on July 15, 2015, 09:36:01 PM
Just curios how your going to feed lumber into this , by hand or build a power feed system. and some hold down rollers. you probably  know but them saws have some sever rideup and kick back.

There should not be much rideup on a blade that is pulling down.
But I do want to put a power feeder and a Zero-max on the blade with the rollers.
I will probably also put a row of kickback teeth on it.
There is no way I want to get smacked with a board.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

5quarter

The ride up doesn't happen at the front of the blade. it happens at the back of the blade if the kerf tries to close up. installing a splitter helps and the kickback teeth are a must. But the saw can still kick a board back at the start of a cut before it reaches the splitter.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Kbeitz

Quote from: 5quarter on July 16, 2015, 09:20:37 AM
The ride up doesn't happen at the front of the blade. it happens at the back of the blade if the kerf tries to close up. installing a splitter helps and the kickback teeth are a must. But the saw can still kick a board back at the start of a cut before it reaches the splitter.

Thanks...
About the splitter. Is it better to have one the full lenght of the table behind the blade ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!