iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gearmatic winch

Started by minn firewood cutter, February 12, 2016, 10:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minn firewood cutter

I have been driving a c5 treefarmer with a gearmatic winch. We are having a problem. when you go to release the winch the handle will not stay up by itself. It has been doing this for a long time so we use a piece of wire to hold the handle back. only problem the winch free spolls into a rats nest because the handle never stays in the same spot. so i cant adjust the set screws Any ideas Thanks

madmari

The release is activated by a hydraulic slave that pushes a rod surrounded by a coil spring, which opens the brake band. If I read your text right, the lever is not returning to brake (centered) position? Are you losing any brake fluid?
  If that's the case, you may have a broken brake spring or the controller may be leaking by internally. You can rebuild the controller with a Ford F250 rear wheel brake cylinder- all you need is the rubber cups inside, think they are 1 1/8".
  Here's the manual for a Gearmatic 9.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

David-L

My new to me 119 TA30 ( Gearmatic) is also pulling harder than I like and will need to come apart once it warms up to check things out. The benefit of it pullin hard is it will build character and upper arm strength to handle that massive side cover once you dig into it and have to lift it off. Enjoying all the Gearmatic info on here and everyones knowledge about them. High of 10 here today. I'm done for the week.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

jocco

This sounds like a problem with the control box the lever should go forward and stay there to release. Middle sets the brake, rear (you have to hold or apply pressure) to clutch in.

Quote from: minn firewood cutter on February 12, 2016, 10:23:52 PM
I have been driving a c5 treefarmer with a gearmatic winch. We are having a problem. when you go to release the winch the handle will not stay up by itself. It has been doing this for a long time so we use a piece of wire to hold the handle back. only problem the winch free spolls into a rats nest because the handle never stays in the same spot. so i cant adjust the set screws Any ideas Thanks
You may check out but you will never leave

madmari

The spring on the brake band should push the lever back to center when released, regardless of the control box. If you pull up on the lever to brake and it will not stay, that spring is catawampus.

Plankton

Maybe the detent inside your master control is worn down so it slips up? Sounds like your pulling back to release? it should be push down and the detent holds it there, is your master control in backwards or your rods are switched

Im a little confused what exactly is happening here, wont stay released or wont stay locked?

minn firewood cutter

This machine is a 1989 c5 treefarmer the winch handle is up on left side of the cab by your left shoulder. when you want to winch in you push down on the handle you pull the handle all the way up to release the winch so you can pull out cable. Problem is when you go to pull up on the handle to release the winch the handle does not stay up by itself so we just have a wire to hold it up. I want the handle to stay up by itself so i can adjust the bands so it does not free spool. Maybe this explanes the problem a little better. When the machane was new the handle stayed up like it is supposed to but over the year somthing must be wore out. Thanks

madmari

Not to be a smartass, but you could always flip the controller over. Push down=release, raise= winch.

madmari

Or switch the ports on each other, which may be the problem afterall.

jonesjco

The problem you describe of the lever not staying in the release position is usually in the master control in the cab when you pull the lever to release the brake bands the lever is attached  to a crank shaft inside the controller that has 2 push rods one for brake release and one for clutch application. The one for brake release is usually a little bit shorter than the clutch application rod. The reason for this is so that when you pull the lever into the release position the rod goes over center on the crank shaft this is what keeps it in the release position. There could also be some kind of obstruction in the master cylinder causing the rod to not travel far enough to go over center. I highly doubt there is anything wrong inside your winch if it is holding the load up and is winching in good I wouldn't take it apart until I looked at the inside of the master control. Good Luck
Gearmatic: 9 little letters that spell big aggravation

U1600

Ive got a gearmatic 9 with a leak inside. taking off the side case, its just a mess of fluid and stuff inside. Is there a way to test for the leak as when you remove the clutch cover, with the machined hydraulic tube (#17 ) in figure 2 of the manual, theres no way to hold it in. It looks like the bolt in the side of the housing puts pressure against the hydraulic tube to seal it. 

I guess I could clean it then reseal and open it again to find the leak if theres no other way

Also are there the usual suspects? Im thinking the gland cap, o ring, U seal and cup retainer would be subject to wear first. ( parts 27, 28, 29 and 30 Figure 6 in the manual respectively. Any help would be appreciated

Thank You Sponsors!