iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

arch build help

Started by bedway, February 02, 2010, 04:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Im in the process of building a logging arch. As is the case with everything im over building it,not only for my use but for possible sale in the future. Ive studied several of the factory and home built versions, and im trying to incorporate different ideas. Currently a hank crank winch is what im thinking for lifting the logs. Does anyone have any brands or recommendations.

sprucebunny

The hand crank winch on my Future Forestry/Logrite arch works well but the hub of the winch is too small a diameter for the wire so the wire ALways springs loose.
I keep meaning to buy a length of Amsteel Polyester winch line for it and that would make it perfect.
Just something to think about.

I don't think there are very many hand crank winches available with a 2000-2500 pound rating.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

BARPINCHER

Graingers sells several differnt kinds with that rating and more.  Better have lots of extra scratch tho..$800 and way up from there.
Serving hunters and the hunted with science based; non-traditional resouce management methods

Quebecnewf

I have no winch on mine just a sloped pipe with a ring on it with a hook hung on the ring. I choke the log(s) with the chain hook the chain in the hook hanging in the ring and foward movement forces the ring to slide up the pipe and this lifts the ends of the logs of the ground. When you arrive just back up and the logs lower to the ground. Less fussy than a winch I find.

Quebecnewf

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

jander3

I installed this hand-winch from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  I was not too sure about the auto brake set up.  But after I've used if for a couple of years, I wouldn't go with any other hand winch.   This set up handles 25 foot 900# logs...no problem.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_28674_28674

I chain the log to the clevis hooks on the arch for moving it so that I don't rely on the winch.

Quebecnewf

Onthesauk your setup is about the same as the one I built. I see you have a flat section on the top end of your slope. I wish now i had done that to mine. It still does what I use it for fine. I use mine at the mill to haul logs up a ramp onto the log deck. The winch idea is good to but it seems maybe you can do the same work with no winch and unhooking is just a matter of backing up

Quebecnewf

sprucebunny

Here's a link to a company that makes a wide variety of hand winch models at reasonable prices. I've seen this brand at lower prices in a catalog so, shop around !
Dutton-Lainson
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bedway

Well, i was going to post some pics of the arch im working on because i was able to put them in my gallery. For some reason i cant seem to put them in a post. Its no surprise though because im not the sharpest tool in the computer woodshed.

Hilltop366

Did you close the photo album and reopen it if not you can try to go back and try again

Onthesauk

Bedway,

That's a sturdy looking arch!  Going to use it behind a ATV or tractor?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!