iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl M-Tronic

Started by jargo432, February 28, 2016, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but could someone please tell me if there is any benefit to the  Stihl M-Tronic ? 

Stihl states... "With STIHL M-Tronicâ„¢ an onboard microprocessor digitally monitors and automatically compensates for changes in your work conditions including elevation, temperature, fuel quality, varying octane levels and dirty air filters."

In your opinion would it be better to stick with the older saws or buy new?

Jack of all trades.

skipster

you know what,i actually like it!
i have several older Stihls,but i grab a MS362cm when i dont want to think about the saw,just the cut.
It hasnt been a problem to date,and the saw runs exceptionally well.

HolmenTree

Amazing technology!  A dealer can hook the saw up to a laptop computer and it can show how many hours the saw has on it, how many rpm it run last. .......
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

old2stroke

I like things to be kept as simple as possible.  The more complex it is, the more things there are to fail and the more expensive it is to fix it.  We don't need this technology in chainsaws.  It effectively removes humans from the tuning process and if the saw isn't running just right, it has to go back to the dealer.  These saws could become very expensive to own after the warranty is over.
Not too many saws.  Not enough storage space.

HolmenTree

I think for a chainsaw owner who makes a living with a saw this technology is a good thing. And surprisingly I've met alot of professional saw users who don't know alot about repairing chainsaws.
For a reputable dealer I think it brings business back to him enabling him to offer better service with money saved for the enduser, eliminating hit and miss diagnosis  and unnecessary part swapping.
But if I'm not mistaken Husqvarna sells the AutoTune software for the enduser as I saw it in my 562XP parts  list. Whether or not it's easily accessible for the general public I can't say for sure.......

ZeroJunk

You might be surprised how many tree service guys never make any engine adjustment to a saw, ever.

Texas-Jim

I'm  not sure about longevity yet but i will say there is no comparison between the M-tronic version and old style. M-tronic cuts better, runs better and is a LOT easier to start. Since they have been out I'v probably sold 20 of them, not a single one has came back. I get a normal one back a lot more often.

I dont mind a customer working on a saw or tuning it but provable fact is, you can not tune one better than the saw can tune it self. If it will hold up to test of time.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

HolmenTree

Quote from: ZeroJunk on February 29, 2016, 06:20:48 PM
You might be surprised how many tree service guys never make any engine adjustment to a saw, ever.
I know exactly what you're saying as I own and operate a tree service company.  But thankfully I have 20 years of logging experience falling timber under my belt and before that born/raised working on a farm.
I know some arborists who never sharpened a chain, just swap out to a new loop when the last one gets dull. Lot's of talk on arborist tree forums about buying a "ported" saw but no serious thought in keeping it sharp.
The way I figure it is a good majority of these guys were raised in the city........

skipster

there are a heck of a lot of dealers out there who do a terrible job of tuning saws,i know this from bitter experience.
They are there to sell stuff,not fix things.
the Mtronic makes it a little more idiot proof,and thats a good thing IMHO
ps, I totally agree with Holmentree about chain sharpening vs hotrod saws- very true.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm going to bring this one back up. It's been almost a year since this post was launched and I am wondering if anyone has any updates or problems with the M-tronic?

I am looking at the Stihl MS 261 C-M with the M-tronic to replace my old 028.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DelawhereJoe

I have a 362 c-m haven't had an issue with it yet, but I haven't gotten to run it as much as I want or need to.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Weekend_Sawyer

Well im going to the dealer tomorrow to look at and probably buy it.
Ill give a full report when i do.

Jon

HuckFin

MS362CM here. No problems.

Bill

I too am following this thread - I 'm debating 362 w/mtronic or 461 w/o  . I only occasionally come up with need for the larger bar of 461 but don't want to go smaller than 362 w/o mtronic .

No rush just yet so I 'm listening to folks w/experience as long as I can

ronwood

I bought a Stihl MS 261 C-M last year fort cutting firewood. Seems to work will.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

HolmenTree

Stihl M-Tronic and Husqvarna AutoTune in my opinion are the way to go, no matter if it's for commercial use or casual use.

I'm a tree service owner/operator and my experience for optimum saw performance is fuel quality. I have a number of saws in my arsenal that are not used that often. I keep them fueled up with Stihl's Moto Mix that I buy by the gallon can.
This fuel has a 2-3 year shelf life after opened (depending on climate)and I can't say enough good things about it. Best stuff you can run in your saws for the best performance whether it's MTronic or not.

WoodBurner19

Hey Guys! After months of debate which saw to get, I finally picked up my MS 461 yesterday!!  Haven't had a chance to run it yet tho. Super excited!
I'll be in touch here when I get my next delivery of lumber. Should be this week! :)

MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

so il logger

I too just bought a 461, my advice is to contact your dealer and see if your new 461 is one affected by the current fuel line recall. Unfortunately mine is, after only a half a tank of fuel it is leaking.

As far as m tronic goes I am all for it. My 661's are my favorite saws. And have had absolutely no complaints with them.

WoodBurner19

Quote from: so il logger on January 07, 2017, 04:58:25 PM
I too just bought a 461, my advice is to contact your dealer and see if your new 461 is one affected by the current fuel line recall. Unfortunately mine is, after only a half a tank of fuel it is leaking.

As far as m tronic goes I am all for it. My 661's are my favorite saws. And have had absolutely no complaints with them.

I had to wait until their new shipment came in from those recalls. I'm hoping they should be fine.
But I will post something when I get a chance to use it.
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

killamplanes

M-tonic here to. Went from 660's to 661's. I'm not lookin back. Very pleased
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

so il logger

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on January 07, 2017, 05:14:11 PM
Quote from: so il logger on January 07, 2017, 04:58:25 PM

I had to wait until their new shipment came in from those recalls. I hoping they should be fine.
But I will post something when I get a chance to use it.

Your dealer must stay on top of things. Mine just found out Tuesday about the newest trouble. He is waiting for the stihl rep to make a visit to explain what needs replaced to correct the issue. He said it may be 2 weeks before an official recall is put out. So if my dealer info is correct it wouldn't hurt to stay in touch with your dealer.

slider

We have been using a 362 cm for a year now in our tree service and except for one issue while working in 100 + temps the saw has been great.
al glenn

Weekend_Sawyer

I went to the dealer but the 261 he had did not have the M-Tronic. So he ordered me one. Should be here this week. Looking forward to my first new saw since I won the huskey at the FF picnic!  8)

blackoak

And when they do they screw it up.  There have been many ,many saws screwed up by guys with little screw drivers that didn't know what they were doing

blackoak

Quote from: blackoak on January 11, 2017, 09:34:48 PM
And when they do they screw it up or make it run worse usually.  There have been many ,many saws toasted  by guys with little screw drivers that didn't know what they were doing.

Thank You Sponsors!