iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbco

Started by timberjack 450, October 17, 2012, 05:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

I have a 99 425D Timbco. The house has a terrible drift in both directions. It swings fine with the joy sticks but won't stop drifting unless you hit the opposite joy stick. I can't find a service manual. Can anyone help? Thanks 
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

giant splinter

Sounds like a relief valve is sticking or maybe the bypass needs to be cleaned or adjusted, is your hydraulic system filter in good shape?.
I have noticed this type or drift on other types of equipment in the past and it typically occurs when the machine is not warmed up to operating temperature, it could be as easy as an adjustment or an O ring. Does it stop if you activate the control lever in the opposite direction or wabble it a few times back and forth or side to side. Is there any indication of water or air in your hydraulic oil, the fluid should be clear and not at all foggy or off color like unfiltered beer as an example.
I hope this will help you in some way.
roll with it

1270d

Maybe you could also inspect the orings/seals on the shuttle valve for this function.  Any nick even a barely visible one in these seals will cause all sort of disfunction

Bobus2003

On the Timberline Delimber i used to run it would creep around.. And it was caused by a Worn Swing brake.. Adjust it and it would be fine for a few months then it would creep again

timberjack 450

I just bought the machine and in the middle of chasing down all the problems(hydraulic leaks,the drift problems,a new bottom and all the oil changes). I will definatly change the hyd. filter. There are leaks everywhere. The previous owner never rebuilt the foot pedals. Just kept throwing down speedy dry in the cab. I put a new swing brake in. But then found out that only brakes when the machine is shut off for transport. I will check o rings next. Thanks for the advice guys. 
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor

timberjack 450

Does anyone know where I could find a service manual for the Timbco?

pigpen

Hi there timberjack 450, I run these machines a long time in the past, I would guess that you have  broken detent spring(s) in the swing spool, these spring(s) center the spool when you release the control. They are about 1/2 inch in dia and about 1.5inchs long. also should check to make sure that your pilot pressure is correct. I think its suppose to be 500psi. Did you buy this machine with these problems? I think thats what I had read... If you could find out if it started out drifting in one direction first, and after time began both directions. These problems are usually caused IMO from excessive hyd temps for prolonged period of time. What viscosity oil are you running and in what ambient temperatures?

I used to have one of these springs on a ring of operator keys, In memory of the day I almost had a bad accident because of it... Long story, I'll tell it another day. Hope this helps! My email is mahcol1012@yahoo.com and phone is 715-296-1012 if I can help. Good luck!!!

timberjack 450

Thanks Pigpen
Yes I bought the machine this way. It has alot of small problems. It leaves more oil on the ground than an old Harley. I can't run it like this. I called the closest dealership and the service manager told me how to turn up the pressure on the valve. I did that but have to get more hyd. fluid before I try it. I wouldn't know where to put a pressure guage on to check the pressure. I will see if turning the stem in bumps up the pressure. If it doesn't I will check the springs next. I found a parts book so I can see what springs u are talking about. Not hard to get to. I am putting hyd. oil in from tractor supply. Hope it's good. Too many leaks to put in high dollar oil. Thanks again for your help(i'm sure I will need more).

Jamie_C

I wouldn't blindly go trying to adjust hydraulic pressures without a guage. On the main valve bank for the machine there should be at least 3 ports for hooking up guages. Blindly adjusting things can lead to a lot worse problems. If you can't do it yourself then pay somebody to come out and properly set up your pumps gpm and all of your pressures.

Get all or at least most of your leaks fixed before you try doing anything to your pressure or flow. Hard to get an accurate reading if your losing oil as bad as you say.

timberjack 450

Thanks Jamie
I am kinda on my own here. The closest dealer is 4hrs from here and is in no rush to come help me. The parts dept and the service manager are very helpfull. I will call the service manager again and ask where to put a pressure guage on and what pressure it should be. I can't even find a service manual anywhere. I am getting all the info from all your responses. I need all the help I can get,not much of a mechanic. I think I  will get all the bugs worked out,use it on a few jobs and then sell it. If your not a good mechanic, a buncher is not for me. Guess  I will go back to swinging a saw.

Jamie_C

Call and speak to one of the mechanics, they will likely be able to tell you exactly where all the pressure testing ports are located. You are also going to need someone to help you test the pressures, you need one person in the seat of the machine and one person to read the guage. You will have to perform various functions to check operating pressures and relief settings. It isn't an easy job, it will be measured in hours not in minutes.

Generally the service manuals are available from the dealer, what's working against you is the age of your machine.

Owning gear and not being much of a mechanic yourself is an expensive venture, there is a lot of wrench turning that comes with owning equipment. Timbco's up here were famous for always leaking oil, the hydraulics ran way too hot and would constantly cook every o-ring and seal in the machine.

The drift can be caused by a multitude of things, everything from a worn swing brake to sticky spools/weak springs in valve sections to relief valves being too weak or even bad seals in the swing motor.

I suggest you roll up your sleeves, prepare to get really dirty and kiss some of the skin on at least a few of your knuckles goodbye

timberjack 450

I might as well just pull out the spool and replace both springs and all o rings. Can't cost that much and easy to get to. At least that would narrow down the problem if it still exists

timberjack 450

I finally ran the buncher after I tightened up the spring pressure on the swing spool. Haven't had any trees cut with it,but walking it in the yard the house stays put. Has a very minor creep in one direction. It was hard loading it on the dropside when I bought it the house just kept creeping badly. I replaced alot of hoses and got rid of alot of leaks. Now the only major leak is coming from the valve bank located behind the cab. That one is gonna be tough to find with all the hoses,but I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. 

Dom

Quote from: timberjack 450 on February 01, 2013, 05:25:20 AM
Now the only major leak is coming from the valve bank located behind the cab. That one is gonna be tough to find with all the hoses,but I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Good to hear your making progress.
Try to find out what type of valve bank is located behind the cab. Since its hard to get at, you may want to replace all the seals. If its a L90 valve bank, seal kits can be bought for every valve section for a few dollars.

timberjack 450

Thanks Dom
Where would I look for the make of the valve bank? They are all individual spools all bolted together. That's not gonna be fun taking all those hoses off. What did I get myself into.

Rolley ll 415

Hey guys , I have a 2005 Timbco 415EX with the electronic pump for the reservoir. I just bought the machine a couple weeks ago and haven't had to top up the tank , and there was no manual for it can't seem to find the switch for the pump! Does anyone know where the switch is located ?

Thank You Sponsors!