iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

snatch block question for parbuckling

Started by tomb, October 23, 2010, 06:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomb

What is the weight rating for your snatch block when using it for parbuckling?
I have only found one at Tractor Supply, it has a weight rating of 3500lbs.  Is this enough to parbuckle large logs onto my trailer?
Thanks for the help as always! :)

Bill Gaiche

Snatch block rated @ 3500lbs will safely move a log that weighs 3500lbs. But sence you are actually rolling a log you have to figure in the angle that you are pulling the log up onto trailer. It will actually move a larger weighted log sence you are not lifting the total log.bg

captain_crunch

Beings Big Bad Warn winch pulls 12,000 single line I would look fer a Young or ropemaster block with much higher rateing :) :)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bill m

I have seen the ones Tractor Supply sells and would suggest looking at others. Awdirect in Ct. has a good selection of snatch blocks in different sizes all in stock and only 2 or 3 days shipping by ups. Check out their web site.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Kevin

The line load will be half but the block will be taking the load of the log.
With a 1000lb. log the block will bear close to the same weight.
A safe rigging factor is 4:1 so you should be looking at a block rated no less than 4000lbs. for pulling 1000lb. logs.

g_man

warn also makes some nice snatch blocks. look where they sell winches for off road truck enthusiests.

jbeat

I parbuckle  1000# logs occasionally with a 2000# winch. Mostly using 2 10' planks and lifting only 16 inches. Generally, with no block the cable barely tightens during the roll. My TSC block worked just fine the few times I've needed it, however, to speed the process of putting it on the cable, I wish it had a removable pin instead of the bolt through the pulley. The weight and incline is where the engineering comes into play and besides you're rolling not lifting. My experienced guess is you will be fine just don't stand downrange of the rolling pin.
John B

Stan snider

tomb;  I also think you will be fine with the 3500 # rating. Your not lifting or dragging. A couple of stout guys with 10 foot long ramps could load a 1000# log by hand on a relatively low trailer. The main thing to look for is how quick you can get it on and off the line. Stan

Thank You Sponsors!