iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you help?

Started by Sherry1058, July 08, 2013, 12:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherry1058

My dad is fascinated by these trees near a local farmers market in Jackson, MI.  We cannot identify it and wonder if someone here might know what it is. Thanks!

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=139368#top_display_media

Shotgun

Quote from: Sherry1058 on July 08, 2013, 12:51:50 PM
My dad is fascinated by these trees near a local farmers market in Jackson, MI.  We cannot identify it and wonder if someone here might know what it is. Thanks!

Sherry, that's a pretty general question, and a little hard to answer.  You really need to provide more information.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

beenthere

Sherry
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. As Shotgun says, we need more info, but you can be assured that with good pictures posted and general description, you have found the best place for help and an answer.
Now, it is back to you for more info.  ;D
                     V
                 V
             V
         V
That was quick. Looks like a black locust tree.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/forestry/iowa_trees/trees/black_locust.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

The picture eventually appeared, by directing the reader to your gallery. 

I agree with beenthere, it looks like black locust. 

Sherry, you can make your pictures appear in your post rather than showing your gallery URL.  Good job though, you have them in your gallery.  While you have your post open to where you want the image to show, (1) go to your gallery and scroll down and click "Insert image in post", or (2) copy the text in the box below that if "insert image..." won't work, and put paste that text in your post.  You'll have to do that for each pic that you want to show in your post.  If you show more than one pic, put a little between the first pic and the second pic, and so on.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  You've made good headway in your very first post.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Axe Handle Hound

Yup, black locust.  Any particular reason your father is so interested in them?

doctorb

Without question, Black Locust.  Where there's one, there's usually a bunch more. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Sherry1058

Thank you all for the quick response.  My Dad was thrilled to find out what they are.  He visits this market regularly and usually waits for my Mom while she shops.  He was fascinated by the gnarly twisted bark and has told me repeatedly about this unusual tree that he couldn't identify.  He had my Mom ask the owners and they didn't know either (he's looking forward to going in and telling them what he found out :)).  I finally stopped myself and took a couple of pictures, but just couldn't be sure.  Doctorb is right, when I got there I found a stand of four.

Shotgun thanks too for the instruction on how to post my pictures.  This is my first post so I'm just learning the ropes.

Thanks again to you all for your help.

WDH

Sherry, what a grand old tree!  Many people post very poor pictures with little detail and want to know what a tree is.  You pictures were excellent, making a definitive ID much easier.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ancjr

One of my personal favorite trees.  Nice pictures!   :)

enigmaT120

I don't want them on my place, but I love the smell when they are in bloom.  I always wonder what the honey would taste like, assuming bees visit them.

Beautiful trees.  No good for climbing, though.  Thorny.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

ancjr

They make great living fences   8)

cottonwood1979

black locust is  a beautiful tree,my wife collects the thorns and uses them for decorations etc.very good wood if you dont want to use chemically treated pressurized lumber for decks etc.

enigmaT120

Oh -- I've never burned it, but I read that it's one of the best woods for firewood, most BTUs per cord or something like that.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

mesquite buckeye

The wood weathers like teak. A quite underutilized species.  ;D

A side note though. There is a lot of confusion between honey locust, Gleditsia triacanthos and black locust Robinia pseudoacacia. They are not closely related, other than being legumes, and their properties, and thornyness are quite different. Black locust has paired shortish spines at the base of each leaf, but no trunk thorns. Honey locust has zigzag, long spiny stems and normally has branched thorns along the trunks to a height of about 15 feet to defend against mastodon browsing. Apparently it works pretty well as I have seen very few mastodons lately. ;D 8) 8) 8) I'm thinking the honey locusts aren't convinced that they aren't coming back.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WmFritz

Sherry, welcome and thanks for the post. I got to learn something too.

Before I started to hang out here, thought I knew about three different trees by sight. After I joined the FF, I found out that the Christmas Tree in my yard was not a pine.  And there are more than one kind of maple.  :D

I can identify five six trees with confidence now.  :) smiley_book2_page :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

I have black locust all the way around my yard but of course no pictures, here is a picture of a honey locust that mesquite is talking about

I think I'm correct anyhow, I'm sure someone will be along to tell me if I'm not  :).

mesquite buckeye

Sure looks right to me. No elephants in the photo. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ancjr

I had a cat climb one of those.   :(

mesquite buckeye

Was it really heavy, with 6" fangs? ;D 8) 8) 8)

sandhills

Quote from: ancjr on July 18, 2013, 03:31:42 PM
I had a cat climb one of those.   :(
Did the cat give up it's tree climbing profession?

ancjr

I think dad cut the tree down shortly after.  The cat recovered fine, and lived to climb again, mainly in the remaining tulip poplars.  Being that we had every form of predatory wildlife indigenous to Indiana, the cat finally became dinner for a predator of some sort at the ripe old age of 10.   :-\

Back to the topic, here's what Black Locust looks like @ 1 month old
   8)

Thank You Sponsors!