iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

16 ft firewood conveyor vs. 20 ft for a smaller footprint?

Started by NH Forester, March 19, 2014, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH Forester

I am looking at either the Built-Rite 16 or 20 ft belt conveyors. I need to stay compact (using it with their 11 hp splitter) as I don't have a ton of room and will be processing on small log landings as well. Then there's also the extra cost of the 20 ft unit (+$600 if bought with the splitter).

I appreciate any input. I am trying to avoid having to buy the conveyor twice or buyer's remorse for getting the wrong one.

Thanks.
A head on a pike no longer conspires.

Norse Proverb

logman81

I'd go with the 16' the extra four feet isn't going to pile the wood that much higher IMO.
Precision Firewood & Logging

dave_dj1

I don't even think 16' is necessary. I would go with the 16' if buying one. When I build mine I only want it to be 12-14' long.
Unless your dumping it into a large dump truck or want tall piles. I only need it to go into my dump trailer or pick up.

NH Forester

10'6" vs. 11'6"

I'm going to be mostly going right into the ton truck and then delivered green. I think the advantage is supposed to be that the 20 ft is a little less tight with the truck.
A head on a pike no longer conspires.

Norse Proverb

logman81

logman81

woodmills1

get the bigger one so it will feed the bigger truck you will get next...........ask me how I know
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

r.man

Couple of thoughts, can you take the truck to the conveyor dealer and try out the different lengths and if the used market is strong can you buy the one you need now, sell it when you get a bigger truck without a huge loss and then buy another new one to suit the new truck. If you would take a huge loss you might want to consider the future but if the added cost is too much worry about now. Logman how long is your homemade and what did it cost in time and money to make?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

logman81

Rman I made it 20ft and it runs off a  6.5 hp gas engine running a hydraulic pump which power a hydro motor. It cost me about a little over two grand to built and took about two weeks to build it. It was built very heavy duty weighed about 2000lbs. It will run all day at an idle on a gallon of gas. Had both forward and revers.

Corley5

Go with the 20'.  I've got the 20' Built Rite hydraulic and love it.  I'd rather have the extra length and not need it  :) 

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I always like to buy bigger than what I need,IF my wallet lets me.  ::)  That way in a year or two,it's just the right size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

BHC

what size chain and how big of a sprocket dia did you use Logman81? Been kinda looking around to build a conveyor, using #55 detachable chain but can't seem to locate new sprockets for the chain, and i already have a bunch of chain.
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

Corley5

logman81

Bhc I used pintle chain a  6 tooth Martin sprockets that had a one inch plain bore inside diameter. This combo is meant specially for applications where there will be dirt and abrasive conditions worked extremely well.

BHC

thanks corley for the link, i have been searching off and on for a while now and not found that site, I wasn't aware of pintle chain, but maybe i should look into it logman. I had kinda drew up some rough plans copying one that's being advertised with a single chain in the center of of a v trough. The chain conveyors that were around my fathers mill all had big sprockets that i remember i would guess now, 30 years later, 1ft in dia, looking around at the different ones out there i assuming that's not needed?

logman81

Yes the pintle chain is the way to go for sure. Drivesinc.com makes the chain. Large sprockets are not needed. My dad who is a mechanical engineer and I built this together and did the homework when selecting the best parts to use. I used double chain it's much stronger I tried to break it and couldn't do it. I've been asked by several people to build one for them. If you build one over build it for the task then it will be just right.

Ivan49

Corley5

I don't see one on that site.  I guess you'd have to call them :-\

Peter Drouin

NH Forester, Get one that has the chain and bars and not the belt one. The belt one, fire wood will slide back or tumble on you, And when you get ice on the belt. It will have a hard time to grab the wood . And go 20.  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

logman81

Yes go with the chain and paddles like how I built mine, I could use it year round with no issues.

BHC

Do you have a grate for chips and saw dust to fall through or do you find that is even a issue? I was going to put one on the apron made out of 1/2"X 18" round rod laid out 2" apart, but it looks like a good place for wood to jam up, and if i do this need to make some changes to my drawings some how.

logman81

No I did not build it with bars in the hoper. My splitter had the table grate so all the mess was eliminated by that. I did use a rubber flap between the hoper and the bottom of the conveyor troth this prevents wood from jamming between the hoper and the paddles.

Corley5

I keep a jug of windshield washer fluid on hand in the winter to spray the bottom side of the belt.  It cures the slipping  :)  The belt should have rubber cleats molded into it to keep the wood in place.

Thank You Sponsors!