iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS170? Really?

Started by btulloh, February 28, 2019, 09:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wild262

Regular maint. is the key, and even more important with these ocassional use saws.  They won't take to a lot of abuse, and once they break or major repairs are needed, there pretty much a disposable saw, unless you can do the work yourself.  They are what they are. I get them in my shop now & then and people want them rebuilt.  Most of the time I say, "just buy another and keep this one for parts".  A lot of times there money ahead.   

Drew62

The 170 and doubtless other manufactures starter saws are not to be despised.Perfect for cleaning up the canopy of dropped trees.Good fun to experiment with carving.The ideal starter saw for training a youngster with.Also handy to chuck in your vehicle over winter travelling down rural roads during stormy weather on the off chance you hit branches blocking your way.
A slave to the machines.

Allar

Quote from: lxskllr on February 28, 2019, 08:18:59 PM
To throw sand in the works... You might want to look at the echo 2511t. It's ~$400, but it takes tiny to a whole new level. If not for the front handle, it would fit in the cargo pocket of my pants. It's the most fun saw purchase I've made over the last year.

CS-2511T Top Handle Chainsaw | ECHO X Series

edit:
I somehow missed the post above mentioning this saw  :^/  Still worth a look  :^)
Seems to be one of those saws that you might never need but would buy it regardless :D
I could see myself using one to cut branches off apple trees.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

TKehl

Similar story here.  Got one that was part of a trade deal.  Figured I could just leave it strapped to the 4 wheeler if nothing else.  But with a more aggressive chain, the little 170 does good for limbing up to small trees as long as the chain is kept sharp or it will stall out.  I can cut a lot longer with it without being worn out, especially in the summer.

Since then I've bought 2 more, well a another 170 and an old 017.  (My others are 250s, 290s, and a 066.)

Only downside is a dealer service is the same as what I paid for the used saws.  About $100...  Same as the bigger ones, but it feels different spending $100 on a $4-500 saw.   :D  As such I've learned more about repairing them and with extra saws I can usually keep at least 2 running.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

btulloh

I do the routine maintenance and some repairs myself.  I agree with you Tkehl: a $100 repair on a saw like that doesn't make much sense.  If it gets beyond routine, it'll get replaced.

The 170 will get to work often enough to keep the fuel from going stale.  The saws here don't ever sit long enough for the gas to go bad.  I keep hoping though.   :D
HM126

Magicman

I bought a MS170 a couple of years ago to use as my "sawmill" saw.  It is very easy starting and does an awesome job doing the normal small work when I am sawing.  I highly recommend it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Well I'm gonna get one.  After checking out the specs on similar saws like the 171, 180, etc. I'm just going with the 170.  Low price, low weight.  See what happens.  I'd go get it today, but I've got a couple medical procedures coming up so I'll wait til I'm through with that.

There's quite a bit of cleanup to do around the yard and that'll be a good way to break it in.  Tree tops, big limbs - winter fallout.  Too wet all winter to get out and keep things in shape.  I hate to let things build up like that, but the weather this winter leaves no choice.

I'm not sure there's a lot of choices for chain on this saw.  It comes with PMM3 3/8 0.043.  I'll see how that works and go from there.

Yesterday an interesting saw showed up on CL, but I decided to steer clear.  It was a Poulan 33cc.  Can't find any specs on weight.  They don't seem to publish any specs.  The ad said "ran fine last year but now it won't start".  We all know what that means.  $40, looked brand new.  Tempting, but . . .  
HM126

Inaotherlife

Another inexpensive option in a lightweight small saw is the Ryobi 3814, which has been somewhat popular among the internet forum crowd.
It's a similar weight, but more power. And lower price. A Redmax copy, but made in China.  Specs say 10 pounds, but I think that may be with bar and chain as opposed to the normally published powerhead only weight.

Personally, it's intriguing, but I'd prefer a Stihl or Echo.

sawguy21

The Picco chain works fine on the 170 annd is not difficult to sharpen. It doesn't have the power to pull any more than that. Leave the Poulan on the shelf or buy two so you have a spare, parts and service are almost non existent.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

btulloh

Roger that on the poulans.  I think the Stihl HO saw is as far down-market as I want to go.  

Makes sense that it won't pull much chain.  I'd like to find a yellow chain for it though.  I've got something in mind for this little saw that will require some boring cuts.
HM126

lxskllr

People all over say green chain can't bore, but it seems to work fine for me for the most part. It's a little worse with small nose consumer bars, but I was boring just fine last week with a Rollomatic E and RS3 chain. Maybe if I was doing it all day long, and had time to reflect on cutting speed I'd notice the deficiencies, but for infrequent use, by the not most experienced user, I'd say it's fine.

I'm curious how my new to me RM2 chain will bore. I'm gonna test it this week on the maple I was cutting last week. I'm thinking it may have a problem with it, and if so, I'm thinking that's where the notion green chain can't bore came from, but we'll see...

Inaotherlife

I had to bore-cut an 8" redbud that was in the corner of a chain link fence earlier this week with the 361P and it's factory green Oregon 91PXL chain. And it wasn't the first time.

No problem at all.

Granted, the saw is a little more powerful than a 170, and has a pro-lite bar which is a little taller profile with a larger radius nose than the e-mini. But I don't think those are major disadvantages on the 170 with smaller work like this, other than the extra power might have let me cut more slowly to keep it out of the fence.

lxskllr

Quote from: lxskllr on March 03, 2019, 09:24:50 PM

I'm curious how my new to me RM2 chain will bore. I'm gonna test it this week on the maple I was cutting last week. I'm thinking it may have a problem with it, and if so, I'm thinking that's where the notion green chain can't bore came from, but we'll see...
Just tried my RM2 chain on some pine, and it worked ok. I only made a few bore cuts, and it seemed like it might have been a hair slower than the RS3. Possibly a combination of the triple humped drivelinks, and being semi chisel instead of full chisel. I'm pretty cool with the performance, and now, very happy with my 100' purchase, though the guy's selling it a bit cheaper now... Of course...  :^D

Drew62

I bought the 170 some years ago now-it was just so cheap,it seemed silly not to :), but as supplied it was cracking for outdoor woodwork,with such a narrow kerf it was perfect for cutting 6"x1" planks when fencing/when building decking areas,again with the picco chain it cuts really clean,also for taking a third of a big 25 foot conifer down,its bang on the money.All the consumables are as cheap as chips-bar/sprockets/filters/oil pumps etc.In that sense,its not a throwaway saw at all.Everyone should have a little saw like this in their locker,if you're unlucky enough to have a catastrophic failure,it wont bankrupt you thats for sure!
A slave to the machines.

lil171

Quote from: btulloh on March 03, 2019, 08:40:14 AMI'm not sure there's a lot of choices for chain on this saw.  It comes with PMM3 3/8 0.043.  I'll see how that works and go from there.
That is what is advertised, but my dealer installed a 16" .050 bar on mine for me at no charge instaead of the .043. I knew nothing about chainsaws this fall when I purchased it, other than how to start them and cut wood. The 16" bar and .050 chain was a recommendation by both my dad and dealer. Main reason is that the chain is stronger, and the .050 is easier to find. I have not done much cutting with it yet, as well as a newbee to it, but it does run and cut very well I must say set up as above.

btulloh

This MS170 thing went to the back burner for a while, since it wasn't a necessity.  Today I stopped by the dealer to pick one up finally, and there seems to be a promotion going on.  I don't know if it's all of Stihl (doubt that), but I got $20 off a $180 saw, so that was a nice surprise.  Normally I would go to buy something the week after the promotion ended, so this was unusual.  Too busy with other stuff this afternoon to take it for a test drive, but I did put gas and oil in it and started it up for a minute.

Sure is a cute little thing and it is light as a feather.  There's lots of little cleanup and pruning jobs around the place to break it in.  It'll be kinda nice to have a little saw for little jobs.  I'll see how it does over time, but everybody seems to have good luck with these 170's.
HM126

clww

I just saw a $20 off ad for the 170 on the tv.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

btulloh

I must not be watching the right shows. Only thing I've seen is that I can save a lot of money on auto insurance.
HM126

Caloren

This week is "Stihl deal days", they have several 'deals' going. And yes, I love this little saw.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

thecfarm

I need to replace my small saw. Just might go check out a MS170.
Those small saws are nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I recently bought a Stihl MS362C for my "big" sawmill limbing/bucking saw but....

the MS170 is by far, the lightest/handiest little trim saw.  Bought it on sale last year; saw, extra chain, pack of premium oil, file, & taxes, out the door for $200.  Used it yesterday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

luap

At a Farm & Fleet Store in Northern Wisconsin yesterday the ms 170 was $159.00 sitting on the Shelf.

btulloh

Just to close the loop on this . . .   (except for 10 year durability report - in 2029).

Been through a couple tanks o' gas  doing little spring cleanup chores with new 170.  Does a great job and performs better than expected.  Just like everybody said it would.  I was a little concerned about the chain that comes on it, but the chain cuts just fine, especially considering it's a green chain.  I tried some bore cuts and rip cuts with it today and it even does fine on those.

Light and handy.  Up until now, my aging 026 was my "little" saw, but it started getting heavy on me the last couple years for some reason.  

HM126

Magicman

Yup, it is crazy how handy it is.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!