iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to Find Reputable Log Buyers(lumber and veneer)

Started by chopper888, March 04, 2012, 07:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopper888

I am just getting into logging and have been doing some contract logging for a timber buyer.  I would like to begin handling the sale myself on some deals in the near future.  I have done my research for Illinois and I know what the requirements are for licensing/bonding/etc.  My main issue now is finding reputable buyers to come and bid on the logs once cut.  Does anyone know of a good way to locate buyers?  I have a couple lined up, but I know there are more out there.  As I'm learning, the buyers are the holy grail of this industry.  It seems that nobody wants to share who they use to buy the timber.  I guess it's job security for them.  Thank you for any advice!
Timberjack 230D
Tree Farmer C7D Grapple/Cable
Stihl MS660, 066, MS390, MS192t
Case 580C
Kubota 2350
Central Boiler CL 5036

JDeere

Get a copy of a current Norther Logger & Timber Processing magazine and look in the classifed section. There are always a number of buyers listed there. It may be a good place to start.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Ohio_Bill

I have had good luck selling directly to the mill . We have several large mills in the area . I stay in contact with there log buyer and find out what they are needing and that is what I take them . I don't take stuff they don't need so they have been, IMO more than fair with me .  By having my own mill I only sell the logs that bring a higher % profit in log form compared to me sawing them and on higher grade logs I get more out of the log than I could the lumber .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

MJD

Try meister log and lumber in Wi., I hear they buy in 5 states.

westyswoods

I am in the same situation looking for reputable buyers. Meisters has been mentioned although it is my understanding they have been bought out by a larger corp and now are Midwest Mills or something like that. One of their processing plants is in Reedsberg, WI.

Will let you know how I do when get some contacts. Supposed to have one buyer come down this week and look.

Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

stavebuyer

The state DNR maintains/publishes a listing of all Timber Buyer License holders which includes all out of state buyers licensed to buy in IL. Been a few years since I worked in IL but I think that list contains contact information. Your right in thinking that the folks your planning on competing with probably won't volunteer to tell you who they are dealing with. You may find that buyers are reluctant or unwilling to bid against local producers that have been supplying them on a long term basis. I'd wager you would have better luck bringing in someone new.

Autocar

Here in Ohio the Department of Forestry has a list of buyers and ask alot of question your weed alot of fellows out pretty quick.
Bill

craigc

What part of Central Illinois are you from?  Also what kind of logs are you dealing with most, Grade or Blocking?
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

NWP

I send mine from MO to Meister in Reedsburg WI.  Midwest Hardwoods and Meister are owned by the same outfit.  Call them and they can probably put you in contact with a buyer for your area.  I sell them walnut, white oak, and cherry.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!