iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cook's Super Drip System

Started by LrryFrrw, November 13, 2013, 10:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LrryFrrw

Has anyone installed the Cook's Super Drip System on their Wood-Mizer?  It looks like I will have to do some engineering.

Solomon

No, but I am considering one for my Logmastet LM4. :P
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

xlogger

I got a drip value from Cooks a few months back, made my felt holder myself. I really like it, can control my flow lots better. I use diesel a lot and now I don't have it all over the place. If I had it to do again, I would just buy all the parts from Cooks. By time I went and got this and that I would have been cheaper. I put my felt holder inside the cover on my Timberking right after the blade leaves the bandwheel.  Very simple to mount.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Chuck White

Seems like the felt wiper system might be the way to go!  :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LrryFrrw

XLOGGER, did you weld the bracket on or drill and bolt it?

Doug Wis

I Put one on my keenerbuit also on my TK1600 after I sold the keener. I just bolted both of them on . Might have to fabricate a bracket and drill a hole somewhere on the mill. On the TK I've got it by the idler band wheel with a gas tank off a cub cadet fastened up top to hold the diesel. Think I had to drill a hole someplace to run the hose thru to get it to line up right. I feel it works well and a gallon of diesel lasts a looooong time.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

mikeb1079

i've been interested in the cooks drip setup for awhile too.  tired of dealing with frozen/junk in the drip line.  can't decide if i wanna make my own or just buy cooks.  was a member on here awhile back that had made his own version, perhaps he'll chime in. 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

xlogger

I just drill a ½" hole for the supply line to go threw the housing and another hole to hold the felt holder just over the blade. Like I said earlier if I had to do it over again, I would just order all the parts from Cooks and not have to shop around for this and that. If you are using diesel this is the best way to go for me. Bob here from Durham made one the cleans on top and bottom of his mill. He has pictures somewhere around here.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

Since I have a Cook mill I have the blade wipe system which I modified to wipe top and bottom both before and after the cut. Overkill maybe but I got in an embarassing situation sawing very old highly pitched pine (think lighter wood as 4 x 12 cants). Sawing flooring, build up on the bottom of the blade made the blade exit the top of the cant. I did my best to assure that wouldn't happen again and came up with this:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58022.msg843717.html#msg843717

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DbltreeBelgians

I designed a felt pad wiper set up after getting build up on the blades while cutting ash. After many hours of trial and error I finally came up with a felt pad holder that wipes both sides of the blade. I can use either a water/pinesol mix that is pressure fed from a windshield washer tank and pump or diesel/used hyd oil mix gravity fed from the original factory steel tank and a small ball valve to regulate the flow. The biggest issue I have is sawdust fines building up on the pads. I even went as far as to put brushes on the blade after the drive wheel to try and knock the dust off before it got back to the wiper. It helps a lot but never gets it all.

Here are a few pics of the pad holder I milled out of a chunk of plastic. It bolts on the side of a Cooks roller guide block on the movable guide with ¼" x ¾" shoulder bolts where the chip deflector would go. The idea of the shoulder bolts is so the pad holder, with slotted mounting holes, would float with the blade and not influence the blade coming into the roller. This was an issue at first.

Below is another pic of the pad holder bolted to the Cooks guide roller block. The Holder has a 1 inch square opening and the pads are ½" thick by 1" wide and 1¾" long. Sorry, I don't have any pics with the pads installed. I'll see if I can get better pictures tomorrow. Seems to work best with diesel when cutting oak. I used water/pinesol on the ash and some maple.

kelLOGg

Quote from: DbltreeBelgians on November 16, 2013, 12:16:06 AM
The biggest issue I have is sawdust fines building up on the pads. I even went as far as to put brushes on the blade after the drive wheel to try and knock the dust off before it got back to the wiper. It helps a lot but never gets it all.

Nice system - I like that it is made of plastic. No chance of blade damage. Does it hold up to constant blasting with sawdust? Mine is steel and over the years the edges have been blasted smooth by saw dust. I have found that if I just leave the sawdust intact around the pad holder it wicks the diesel providing more wiping surface for the blade. On hardwood I will occasionally get buildup on the teeth.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DbltreeBelgians

Bob, I haven't noticed any effects from saw dust eroding the plastic yet. The felt pad holder is on the movable guide so it's before the log and I have brushes after the drive wheel mounted on the top blade guard so most of the sawdust is gone by the time it gets back to the felt pad holder. Hope this makes sense. I'll try to get some better pictures today that will show the set up more clearly.

Brent

Thank You Sponsors!