iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ohio Deer Hunt

Started by Autocar, November 27, 2012, 03:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Eleven years ago I got busted up pretty good in a logging accident it was early spring. That fall I had a hunt booked out of Norman Wells Northwest Territory. Two days before I flew out of Norman Wells I was still on crutches and had a heck of a time learning how to walk again. I flew out and landed on a lake in the Mackenzie Mountains, I got up about three in the morning and walked out of the tent to a full moon and northern lights brighter then the full moon. I'll never forget it it was like I was in a white salad bowl and a bright light was shining down on me the snow capped mountains and the timber growning in the ravins and a head high brush. I thought to myself how fortunate I was to be able to be in such a beautiful place after being on crutches a few days before. And about the same time I thought about the people that will never see something like that and made a decison to take handy - cap people on hunting trips. So for the last eleven years Ive taken wheelchair bound folks deer hunting here at home. After talking to some corporations and private landowners I have over 750 acres of river bottom/ farm feilds with wood lots. I bum a four wheeler and have a two wheel trailer with high side boards and I wheel them up in the trailer and back though water holes and briars to blinds I have built out of marine plywood. Over the years we have killed some nice bucks some not so nice, and does and what a thrill these guys get just bumping around in the dark riding in that trailer. To them it's almost a safari. Iam not sure who has more fun them or me, but this year I only had one hunter and yesturday was opening day and by about three we had saw a nice buck with a doe but the brush was to thick and about three two big does came along and he heart shot her and I trailed her for maybe hundred yards and found her piled up. I dressed her out and called a friend to help me drag her out and put her on the four wheeler. Iam guessing but figure she weighted about 170 pounds. At first I felt funny helping them from there chair to there car ect. But there just like you and me just want to go hunting  ;)
Bill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bill......you are 1 lucky guy! You are still alive. Sometimes a misfortune for one can lead to to happiness for others. I commend you and my hats off to you!

Now on the lighter side.....I know a guy named Jeff who as never got a Buck. Could you help him?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

That is great idea and bless you for realizing the need and doing something about it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 27, 2012, 03:54:41 PM

Now on the lighter side.....I know a guy named Jeff who as never got a Buck. Could you help him?  :)

If you happen to be referring to me, you should learn more.  I've shot many bucks, just never one on my own U.P. property.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on November 27, 2012, 06:09:22 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 27, 2012, 03:54:41 PM

If you happen to be referring to me, you should learn more.  I've shot many bucks, just never one on my own U.P. property.

I was just poking your rib......your day will come when the BIG BUCK will come across your property. And if your luck is like mine, it'll be the day after the season closes. It never fails.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

My hat is off to you Bill and your effort to bring joy to some of those who through no fault of their own are physically impaired.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

What a great story Bill, thanks for sharing it with us.  :)

sandhills

That's great, my wife was in a relationship with a quadrapolegic? and took care of him for years, they went on a bear hunt in Idaho, it was the first one the outfitters tried for anyone handicapped.  I can tell you first hand what it meant for him to go out and get a bear, keep up the good deed.

Thank You Sponsors!