iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First hike with my daughter

Started by Riggs, August 31, 2012, 10:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

On days off I enjoy hiking the backside of my property. This week my 4 year old decided she wanted to go with me. I figured it would be fun for her so away we went.
Just starting out....

We had to overcome her fear of lions, tigers and bears, but before long she was blazing a trail.

Sitting on a stump talking about important things like dinosaurs and where her dog was going.

Her very first walking stick. I was proud, she made it back home with it. She used it to fend off the occasional dinosaur or tiger.

My property is pretty steep she is only a few feet from me.

Sitting in my favorite hunting spot, it's only about 3 feet off the ground.

We finally made it to where I wanted to go a waterfall about 8 feet tall that comes right out of the ground just a few yards upstream. It is my favorite spot on earth, and will hopefully be hers too.

She walked the whole trip herself and has talked about it all week. Makes me a happy man. We were sharing a bowl of ice cream on the porch and watching this sunset. It was pretty much a perfect day for Dad.  :)

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Ianab

Excellent.

Show the kids that there is something outside the back door.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sandhills

A beautiful daughter, beautiful property, and a great day, I think dad has it good  :).

beenthere

Riggs
What an awesome day with a beautiful daughter.
Brings back memories of my four youngin's and of 6 grand children. All too fast, they grow up.
Thanks for posting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

That is completely awesome.  Thanks for sharing!  My son is a year and a half old, and loves to be outside.  I can't wait until he's able to go on hikes like the one you describe here.  :)

Bibbyman

I knew the feeling. I had many adventures in the woods with my granddaughters.  Enjoy it now before she is a teenager

I've posted a lot of our adventures but this one came to mind and I had to find it again.

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 19, 2004, 06:22:59 PM
The days are getting a little longer and the snow and ice is turning the ground to mud.  I've had time to get a walk in before dark the last couple of evenings.

I'd much rather go alone as that's one reason I like to take walks on the farm but I've been taking Alex or Brooke along with me.  There's no peace and quiet but it breaks up the girls – giving Mary time with one and me with the other.  That's a good thing. ;)

Last evening was Brooke's turn.  We walked down the hill to the east and up the other side into the woods.  We were following the old log road north on the "hog back" ridge.  

We'd just past out of the patch of red cedar into the woods when Brooke took note of a nice young white oak standing straight and tall.  She says. "Wow!  Look at the tree God made! It sure is a nice one."  She went up to it and petted it.  I said it sure was.  Grandma would have trouble getting a long log like that on the mill.  We agreed we'd have to cut it into shorter logs.  "We'll have to come back and get that tree." Brooke said.

A couple hundred yards up the ridge we came to an open spot where the trails forked.  Our dowg, Puddin',  had been enjoying the walk also,  running here and there.  I was watching her watching something when Brooke said. "Look Grandpa! Dogs!"  They weren't dogs but deer.  Five of them crossed over the trail just ahead of us.  Puddin' didn't even offer to chase them – even after we cut their trail.

Another hundred yards and we broke into the pasture behind my folk's house.  Brooke was totally confused as to why there would be a house hidden in the woods.  I asked her if she thought it looked like Granny's house.  She knew it didn't because Granny's car wasn't there. (She was looking for the carport on the wrong side) We got into the yard and she noted the old corn crib. "Look,  there is a thing just like at Granny's."  She said with wide eyes.   :o

When we came around into the front yard and she noted every concrete yard ornament was just the same as Granny's.  Even the tacky wood butterflies on the wall were the same.

We made it to the kitchen door and she pushed her way in to see who was in this house just like Granny's.   Sure enough,  there was Granny working in the kitchen.  Brooke marched right up to Granny and quizzed her on how come she had a house in the woods just like the house like she had on the road.  It wasn't sinking in that it was the same house.  She took her case to Grandpa George (my dad – the girls call him "Granny's Grandpa").  He got a kick out of her confusion.

After our visit with my folks,  we left by the road.  We turned to look back at Granny's house from the front.  We talked about Granny's house in the woods verses Granny's house on the road and I think she was still confused. ???

We got home and Mary and Alex had made biscuits for supper and had a pineapple upside down cake ready to go into the oven.  

Brooke was full of stories – including finding Granny's house in the woods.  Seeing the deer was about fifth on her list.

When she got to the story about the tree God made,  Mary asked her if she know what kind it was.  "It was gray."  She said.

I would have enjoyed taking the walk alone but I'd miss seeing it through the eyes of a child.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Riggs

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 19, 2004, 06:22:59 PM
I would have enjoyed taking the walk alone but I’d miss seeing it through the eyes of a child.

Well said Bibby, very well said
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Norm

I could sure use a smile this morning, thanks to you and your daughter for doing so.  :)

thecfarm

Bibbyman,this story brought back some memories for you and made you smile.
Riggs,I bet it was a perfect day for her too. There is a lot to see and alot to listen to. The listening part is the child asking questions and just talking about the woods and life. Keep doing it and soon she will know those woods as good as you do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Riggs, great story man, just a awsome day! My four year old daughter just graduated college and got married last year, still trying to figure where the time went.  enjoy the moments brother they go so fast.   have a great week-end,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Den Socling

Very nice Riggs. It reminded me of walks with my kids many years ago. How can they be in their 30's?  :(

Magicman

A great story and a beautiful ending to an eventful day.  A day that money can't buy.  I am sure that this will be only a beginning to a life filled with such outdoor activities.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Excellent post Riggs!

That is one beautiful day trip through the woods.

I can tell by the pics, she loves spending time with her Dad!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Autocar

Bill

Den Socling

I was thinking about hikes with my daughter. She now refers to them as "forced marches"!  :D

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

breederman

A great day!  One of many I hope. I still hike the Adirondacks with my twenty five year old daughter. Those days are the best!
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!