iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

versus (taxed diesel/non-taxed diesel)

Started by furltech, April 13, 2010, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonebroke

Quote from: mad murdock on April 16, 2010, 04:12:07 PM
Quote from: mr T on April 16, 2010, 03:23:48 PM

#1 diesel is the same thing as #1 kerosene, or #1 stove oil, or even Aviation Jet A.  It is all the same thing.  The branding takes place at the bulk plant, when they add the dye, or it gets loaded on a truck as stove oil, or on road diesel, or Aviation Jet A, the naming of the end product determines how it is packaged and handled. 

Used to be, no more. Engine fuel is ultra low sulfur fuel inNYS. The rest of the country has low sulfur for engine fuel and will be catching up to NYS in a year or two.

Stonebroke

mad murdock

Out here the specs for JetA, # 1 stove oil or #1 diesel call for ultra low sulphur fuel.  The scare tactic is that they may not be the same, so that supposedly a motor carrier enforcement stop might yield a hefty ticket for non-taxed fuel being in a vehicle that should have taxed fuel.  This is very true with the dye, but as far as I read the MSDS sheets on the various fuels, there is no differentiation on the sulphur levels.  I am no Petroleum Engineer, just a CDL toting helicopter mechanic.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bobus2003

Quote from: stonebroke on April 16, 2010, 05:34:58 PM
Quote from: mad murdock on April 16, 2010, 04:12:07 PM
Quote from: mr T on April 16, 2010, 03:23:48 PM

#1 diesel is the same thing as #1 kerosene, or #1 stove oil, or even Aviation Jet A.  It is all the same thing.  The branding takes place at the bulk plant, when they add the dye, or it gets loaded on a truck as stove oil, or on road diesel, or Aviation Jet A, the naming of the end product determines how it is packaged and handled. 

Used to be, no more. Engine fuel is ultra low sulfur fuel inNYS. The rest of the country has low sulfur for engine fuel and will be catching up to NYS in a year or two.

Stonebroke

LSD was just a stepping stone for the ULSD (500PPM to 15PPM) The whole country is running ULSD now (Required in any Diesel Pickup Manufatured after 2007 Model Year) and In 2006 was when the transition began.. If you have old equipment that was designed on high Sulfur diesel just at 2 stroke oil to the fuel (ATF works as well plus is a nice way to clean injectors).. the new ULSD has been known to cause wear on Injector pumps on the older Engines

BAR

What is the preferred concentrations of ATF in LSD &  ULSD in older engines? ......and how was it determined?

BAR
3340 Zetor with Allied Loader & Fransguard Winch, Woodmizer LT27T,

mr T

Welcome Bar    When your in concord were almost neighbors I have used atf in past altho most engine manufacturers frown on it I use power service additives now with no probs

Ironwood

I use additives in my 2000 PSD

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mad murdock

additives are the way to go if'n you are running any older piece of equipment.  It is hard to get good fuel these days.  Even Gasoline is crap on most states where they have added an ethenol blend to it.  Gas goes sour after about 30 days of sitting, unless you add some sort of stabilizer, or other additive that neutralizes the effects of the ethanol in the gas.  I run the SD15 diesel in my '64 garrett with the 172 cu. in. ford.  I put additives in the fuel, as was stated previously, when they took out the sulphur, they took alot of good qualities of the fuel, i.e. power, lube qualities etc. out as well, and it is not as kind to the older engines to run it straight as it comes out of the pump. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!