iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Show Room

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 25, 2018, 08:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I needed a cleaner place for displaying Mantels, finished slabs, unique pieces of wood, birdhouses, benches, tables, etc.

So I took my carport which was just a catch all for stickers, junk, my trailer and anything else and me and Kirk cleaned it out.

The size is 20 x 20 floor.

Right down the middle I have Pine boards that are 2 x 22 inches wide. So far thats the first thing that makes people drool.  :D

This will be our new show room.
We are no where near being finished but I will post updates along the way.

I'm trying to heal my shins from walking between the 2 x 10's putting the floor down. (see pic).

I'm letting the siding air dry before adding baton. Yes the floor will have cracks after drying but thats the country way.

Hope you like it. each pic is sorta self explanatory but I'll answer anything.
Its nice to own a Sawmill.  :)

I will be starting on the sides soon. Putting in lots of hours trying to keep up with sawing and building but Kirk puts in hours of work on his days off from the State. Couldn't do it with out him.
My plans are to build a fake fireplace in side to display Mantels for customers.
More to come.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You are a Class Act my Friend.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

David,

Its not going to be big enough. :D

I like the fake fireplace to display the mantels on so the customer can get a feel for how they will actually look. Are you keeping a piece of scrap wood off the same cut so the customer can use to test stain samples like you gave the customer who came the day I was there? I still think that is a great idea.

Are you going to put the mantels on mobile racks you can roll around in the shed? At what stage do put the mantels on display? While green,air dried, KD, or finished and stained/tun oil applied, etc?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have mantels in every stage you can imagine.  :)

Magicman

Being able to interchange them over the showcase fireplace is a brilliant idea.   smiley_idea 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

I think converting the carport is an excellent idea.  Start selling carport conversion kits!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on May 25, 2018, 08:58:55 PM
I think converting the carport is an excellent idea.  Start selling carport conversion kits!
You ain't the first person to say that Larry. That is a good idea though. 

thecfarm

Many great ideas you have there. That looks mighty good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Looks good, what'd ya use to screw the wood to the metal?  When I put wood siding on my carport I got some self tapping wood to metal screws from fastenal they had these little wings on them to get through the wood and once they got to the metal the wings break off and then the steel drill part of the deal takes over.  They were wicked neat but they didnt make em long enough for full 2" lumber so had to saw 1-5/8" but with accuset it no gotta matta anyways.  Anyways my friend found some at TSC for me later on when we needed some in a pinch and fastenal had to special order them.  I can't remember the price difference.
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 4x4American on May 25, 2018, 09:18:17 PM
 They were wicked neat but they didnt make em long enough for full 2" lumber so had to saw 1-5/8" but with accuset it no gotta matta anyways.  
I used the self tapping screws. I sawed 2 inch lumber. I had 2 inch screws......but what I did was take a butterfly bit and drill down in the wood 1 inch..... I marked the bit to get a constant depth. Then drill the screw through the remaining 1 inch of wood and now the wood is secure and the screw head is hidden.

Southside

Looks GREAT! Can't wait to see the inside.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on May 25, 2018, 09:33:55 PM
I'm just trying to keep up with the Brokaws.  :D :D :D

Southside

I have a car port on a hay trailer that is a portable chicken coop....Just trying to keep up with the Clampetts... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Looks great!  Floor is nice and heavy.  Did you sit the floor on pressure treated 2x?  

4x4American

Just regular self tappers?  Fancy pants huh
Boy, back in my day..

dgdrls

Well done poston smiley_thumbsup

really nice work, the sliding doors are dandy!!

D

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

69bronco

Better get some blue kote on those forelegs! Seriously,  looks great! When people walk in and smell that pine you'll be halfway to a sale!

Magicman

That book matched siding on the front is neat.  With that green roof you may need to put a good sized fan in the back to pull some air through for cooling.

Sixacresand

Ya'll do pretty work. Great idea.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

fishpharmer

It looks great in the pictures, it looks better in person!!  The superwide pine flooring boards impressed me!! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dakota

Very nice.  I also noted that wide pine flooring.  Bet it smells good in there.
Dave Rinker

mike_belben

Thats nicer than a lot of "houses" i see people living in. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

David,

You did not mention how you were going to display the mantels. Are they going to on permanent shelving or on movable racks. 

If you use movable racks and you need the extra space (Who doesn't need extra space?) you can keep adding racks until you only have one aisle left and can push the racks up tight against each other and leave the aisle where you want it and still see the mantels on both sides. You can store a whole lot more slabs that way. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on May 25, 2018, 09:37:17 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on May 25, 2018, 09:33:55 PM
I'm just trying to keep up with the Brokaws.  :D :D :D
You are going to need an old sawmill truck to do that.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!