iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tillotson HS-Homelite XL

Started by inspectorwoody, December 19, 2010, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Well I just put a carb kit in the ol' homelite.

To make it simple:

It will pop and run if some carb clean is sprayed in the carb.

I put some clear fuel line on and I'm not getting fuel to the carb. It went to the carb once and than back flowed into tank and I couldn't get it again.

Is something not set right in the carb?

Maybe the answer was on the Tillotson HS manual but I didn't see anything I thought related.

Thanks for the help.  :)

Al_Smith

The Tillotson HS is an old standy and generaly speaking a very good carb  .However as with most if not all diaphragm carbs after a period of time the internal parts stiffen up and don't work properly .Most problems can be cured with a rebuild of that carb by installing a new kit which is easy but since to already did that several things could be amiss . Either the fuel level shut off is set too low,the metering diaphragm spacer gasket is on the wrong side or possibley the check valve assembley on the fuel pump is not sealing properly .Not discounting that for some reason you aren't getting the impulse from the crankcase to operate the carb .

I would assume the impulse on that saw comes from a hole drilled in the intake .Either that or a tube ,don't really know ,never worked on one that I remember  of .

HolmenTree

You may have a leak at the reed intake valve. Not making positive crankcase pressure.
Yes those Tilly HS carbs were good carbs. The ones on my old Jonsereds had them and they were stamped "made in Ireland" on them.
Would be "made in China" these days.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

I've got a few Tiilleys older than that ,Toledo Ohio

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 21, 2010, 04:43:09 AM
I've got a few Tiilleys older than that ,Toledo Ohio
Yes and the year the HS was introduced was 1963.
The HL  1956.

Willard.

Al_Smith

:D Well of course I have some that old . I never checked the Lombards I have as far as to weather they were Irish or Toledoens .They are versions of the AL-42 being Lightning II and  Comango ,.Really just take offs of the saw in the thread but larger .Likely late 60's early 70's but both with Hs's .

inspectorwoody

Thanks for the help.  :)

I'll check on those things and see what I can come up with.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 21, 2010, 04:53:55 PM
:D Well of course I have some that old . I never checked the Lombards I have as far as to weather they were Irish or Toledoens .They are versions of the AL-42 being Lightning II and  Comango ,.Really just take offs of the saw in the thread but larger .Likely late 60's early 70's but both with Hs's .
Al I just looked at my Tillotson 42mm HD carb on my Yamaha bikesaw and it says Toledo, Ohio on it. It came off of a early 1970's 440cc snowmobile.
Willard. :D

Al_Smith

Not surprising .I have no idea when Tilley went to County Kerry Ireland but I suspect around that time period .It would be a darned shame if they in fact were being made in China which I have no idea if that's the case or not .

I do believe that Zama started out in Japan but ended up in China which is surprising .Kind of hard to know the players without a score card in a manner of speaking .

Mowertech

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 22, 2010, 08:09:59 PM
Not surprising .I have no idea when Tilley went to County Kerry Ireland but I suspect around that time period .It would be a darned shame if they in fact were being made in China which I have no idea if that's the case or not .

I do believe that Zama started out in Japan but ended up in China which is surprising .Kind of hard to know the players without a score card in a manner of speaking .

yep i agree about china   

Thank You Sponsors!