iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

virginia pine

Started by MDLogging, March 07, 2012, 10:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allmosdone

If you've got 19" logs, saw em'!! My buddy has a barn, Two tractor sheds, and several other verry nice structurs, all VA pine. There are huge 6 by 12 ridge beam carrying the roofs, and its plenty strong. No way would I chip those logs.   
If It Was Easy, Everyone Would Be Doimg It Every Day                  Buckaroo Bonzi             Make freinds,you'll be glad you did.  CRA

lumberjack48

What do your log home builders use around there ?  I sold Balsam, White Spruce, and Norway for cabin logs. There were a few build with Aspen or Poplar, turned out very nice.
I've cut 80' Jack Pine, beautiful trees, 12" and up were cut in to logs, 12" down to 8" were cut for saw bolts, the rest pulpwood.

I think these Jacks would have made some nice cabin poles. I sure wish i would have built a home with them, hind site is always 20/20.
It only takes a 100 trees to build a 1200 sq. foot house.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

Jack is very much like lodgepole pine over the big hump (Rockies).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on March 10, 2012, 11:49:33 PM
Shortleaf looks like loblolly.  Platy, not scaly.  The needles are just a lot shorter and the cones are 1/4th the size of loblolly.

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 10, 2012, 11:56:50 PM
Ok, I will keep watching for it.  ;D

Does this resemble him? (Shortleaf)

And also, does the spiraling of the bark indicate spiral grain?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Yes.  Did you look for the little pitch pockets  ???.  Or maybe not as there were too many wild animals  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I did look for the pitch pockets, but if they were there, they were very small. I saw things that looked like little tiny pin prick things, but if those are pitch pockets, I would never have guessed.  :D

Yes, there are some wild animals around Profdan's farm, to be sure!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sealark37

The Virginia pine is a prevalent evergreen in many areas of the Carolinas.  Too bad, the mills are not interested.  Some years ago it was made into interior paneling known as "knotty pine".  It is still used with a live edge as gable siding on log or rustic structures.  I noticed a goodly wack at the local firewood yard.  I stopped and asked if he used them as firewood.  He answered, "Not if you will haul them off".  I suppose the VP's largest contribution is as a wildlife feeder.  Birds and squirrels love the seeds.   Regards, Clark

Okrafarmer

I am thankful that our local pine mill buys all SYP's at the same price without complaining. However, the sawyer does say that Shortleaf is his favorite.

Okrafarmer

BTW, once we buy this lapsider, I think I will try making some VP lap siding. Like you say, it's real rustic, and what better way to use VP?

WDH

The pitch pockets look just like little moon craters.  They have raised edges just like a crater.  They are small, a little smaller than the "o" typed from the keyboard on this post.  Check out this website for a pic.  https://sites.google.com/site/appalachianforests/shortleaf-pine

Virginia pine does not meet the strength requirements for SYP (shortleaf, loblolly, slash, and longleaf), so it cannot be included with grade stamped SYP construction lumber.  That is why most mills will not buy it.  Doesn't make the grade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 17, 2012, 09:05:56 PM
Virginia pine does not meet the strength requirements for SYP (shortleaf, loblolly, slash, and longleaf), so it cannot be included with grade stamped SYP construction lumber.  That is why most mills will not buy it.  Doesn't make the grade.

Hmm, I wonder why he buys it. He definitely knows the difference. Not all of their lumber goes to be grade-stamped, but I wouldn't have thought that so much would be for non-stamped use. He does sell a lot of lumber locally for barns, sheds, fences, etc.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 17, 2012, 09:05:56 PM
The pitch pockets look just like little moon craters.  They have raised edges just like a crater.  They are small, a little smaller than the "o" typed from the keyboard on this post.  Check out this website for a pic.  https://sites.google.com/site/appalachianforests/shortleaf-pine

Ok, I guess that's what I was seeing. I could have mistaken them for little insect bites. I think I can tell the species more by the shape of the bark plates, combined with the length of the needles.

Ianab

QuoteHe does sell a lot of lumber locally for barns, sheds, fences, etc.

If it's being sold as ungraded, for non-inspected use, then being a little weaker isn't really an issue. I would guess he can buy the VP logs cheaper, and hence sell his ungraded wood for a better price and it's "good enough"?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Ian,

Yes, if the lumber is sold for local use for barns, sheds, and not used for residential or commercial framing, etc.  Commercially produced SYP from the big mills has to be grade stamped by a SPIB Lumber Grader.

Okra,

Yes, and the egg-sized cones versus the fist sized ones of loblolly.  Virginai pine has similar sized cones, but it has purple color on the apotheosis (inner tip of the cone scale).  The contrast in color is very distinct.  There is no such color distinction in shortleaf.  The inner end of the cone scale is bland. 

Get some shortleaf and virginia pine cones and inspect the inner tip of the cone scale  :).

You can see the purple inner cone scale tips of virginia pine in this pic:

Okrafarmer

Yep. I see it. Profdan has all three on his place, Virginia, Shorleaf, and Loblolly. Now I am trying to learn to differentiate between Loblolly and Longleaf, which I think we encounter occasionally. It seems that Longleaf has the needles in a pom-pom like ball on the end of the branch, whereas Loblolly looks more like paint brush or fox-tail tufts.

As for the Virginia pine at the pine mill, it's a mystery to me still how he doesn't differentiate between them in price. He's never complained, and he doesn't pay us any more for the loblolly or shortleaf. He did complain that he doesn't like people planting loblolly in the big plantations when in his opinion they should plant shortleaf.

SwampDonkey

They stamp jack pine lumber under the SFP grade up here. I was wondering if they stamp VP under the same grade down there. Both pine look about the same and plantation jack pine is pretty knarly stuff. Wild jack pine grown thick is a world of difference in quality. Straight as guns and limb free for several feet. Irvings buy jack pine logs at their stud mill in Sussex. It's an on and off again proposition with those guys though, no matter what they are buying. 8 foot at around $60/mt or $66/ton, min 4-1/2" top, 13 max on the but. When you drive down around there, it's miles and miles of jack pine.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I am sure that some of it gets mixed in the the regular 4 commercial species of southern yellow pine.

Okra,

Longleaf pine and loblolly have a different branching habit.  The end of the branches where that round pom pom is located are very stout, at least twice the size of the end of the branches of loblolly.  Like the difference between a 1" - 1.5" dowel and a pencil.  Very distinctive, plus the long drooping needles and the big cones.  You can tell them apart going 60 MPH down the road.

Okrafarmer

I'm sure I will be able to tell them apart going 60 mph down the road once I am fully sure that what I am seeing is longleaf. When I am, then I will know. First, I have to positively identify one or two in my area. I know where two are that I suspect are LL. I need to stop and make a positive ID.

Okrafarmer

SD, 4½ inches on the top? You sure are spoiled. Our pine mills don't want anything less than 8" on the top.

SwampDonkey

I've seen them take a 2-1/2" top in fir and spruce during second thinnings.

Road Runner

Okra,  If you have any longleaf in your area my guess is it was planted as you are a good bit north of it's natural range which as a general rule runs on the north edge of the sandhills in SC.  We have some longleaf in Abbeville Co. but it was all planted, mostly on USFS land in the 50s with very slow growth in the red clay.  Longleaf likes sandy soil. 
Oconee, Pickens, and Greenville Counties have both shortleaf and virginia pine, but my guess is that most sawlogs are shortleaf due to the size. limbs, and knots associated with virginia pine.  Virginia pine is used for interior paneling (knotty pine), but not so much for framing.     
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

Okrafarmer

The two longleafs I suspect, are in someone's yard, so probably planted.

The Virginia pine obtain some decent size here, up to at least 16 inches dbh or more. We have tons of them around, it is one of the default trees for the whole area. Along with Sweetgum, Tulip Poplar, Water, Southern Red, and White Oak, Loblolly pine, and ERC.

Thank You Sponsors!