iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's it??? Solved: Creeping Snowberry - edible

Started by SwampDonkey, January 10, 2006, 10:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Creeping, pubescent stem with rounded waxy leaves and white berries.

So what is it? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Partridge berry ???  Mitchella repens
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Try again, good guess. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Gaultheria hispidula
Creeping Snowberry   ?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tom on January 10, 2006, 07:43:26 PM
Gaultheria hispidula
Creeping Snowberry   ?

Yup!  8)  Tom do you folks have some down that far? It's hard to find them at the right timing to get the berries. But they are edible.

Tom

Are you kidding?   Snow is a descriptive word here used for up-there.  :D

I don't know the range of the one you have.  We have a Snowberry  (Chiococca alba) but I'm not familiar with it.  I like eating stuff in the woods and if it were very popular fare, I'm sure I would have tried it.  :D

SwampDonkey

It's a species of wintergreen, maybe it's not that far south. There are very few wild white berries I'de dare eat unless I knew what they were. If you eat a handful of white baneberry for instance, you'd literally loose your breath in a short time. ;)

Riles

My dendro professor was showing us American mistletoe Phoradendron serotinum last week and I mentioned the old survival school rule on berries. 90% of white are poisonous, 90% of blue are edible, and red are 50/50. He'd never heard of it and didn't think they were poisonous. I hit the Internet and man did I find conflicting information. Somebody's just gonna have to go out there and chomp down on a handful.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Riles on January 10, 2006, 09:09:37 PM
My dendro professor was showing us American mistletoe Phoradendron serotinum last week and I mentioned the old survival school rule on berries. 90% of white are poisonous, 90% of blue are edible, and red are 50/50. He'd never heard of it and didn't think they were poisonous. I hit the Internet and man did I find conflicting information. Somebody's just gonna have to go out there and chomp down on a handful.

It's never been confirmed, so I wouldn't want to be the guinee pig.  ;)

Another white berry is from the red osier dogwood, it's not poisonous but very unpleasant. :D

Stephen_Wiley

Around these parts, snowberry (Symphiocarpus spp.) are considered poisonous natives use to use them in bread mix.  However even they recorded serious upset stomach along with the runs.s.s.s.s.s.s...s.s.
::)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Stephen_Wiley on January 12, 2006, 07:18:41 PM
Around these parts, snowberry (Symphiocarpus spp.) are considered poisonous natives use to use them in bread mix.  However even they recorded serious upset stomach along with the runs.s.s.s.s.s.s...s.s.
::)

Gotta be careful of the species for sure.

Dana

Swampdonkey, we have a plant here in Michigan that looks very similiar. However the berrys are red. My dad always called it squawberry.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

SwampDonkey

Could it be wintergreen? Also a Gaultheria species.  And an ingredient I'm told of the mighty RUST REAPER. ;)

Does it have a mint smell when crushed?
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=148

There is also partridge berry.
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/mrepens.htm

Dana

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

SwampDonkey

Just bringing this post up top because of another Gaultheria species, one found in the Pacific Northwest. It may be of economic importance according to this link. If you ever had to work in it, you might not be as passionate about it. ;) Salal is very tolerant of both open sun and shady conditions. In coastal areas it can form deep, nearly impenetrable thickets.

http://www.royalroads.net/ntfp/casestudies/case-studies/salal/

It is salal, Gaultheria shallon. It grows extensively on the lowlands of Graham Island (one of the Queen Charlotte Islands in NW BC).

Thank You Sponsors!