iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sled Winch/Yankee Yarder > Where to Buy? or Build?

Started by Cutting Edge, November 12, 2011, 05:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutting Edge

Hello All, would like to thank everyone for having such an information soaked forum.  While surfing through here I came accross some Yankee Yarders(factory) and sled winches that look shop built.

I have looked all over the internet and have not located a Yankee for sale - Are they still in business??  ??? If so Where??

Wouldn't mind building my own, if plans are out there, or at least specs on the parts (I'll make the rest fit!  ;D )

Would have to be quite stout since the ground is steep and timber avgs 28"

One of these would be quite handy for myself because of the ground around here, and the universal applications if it has multiple spools.

Thanks
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Kevin

Cutting Edge

Im guessing the longest lay would be about 400 ft.  The reason for tryin to find out more info was to have the "skidder" supplying the skyline on a small tower, and use the sled winch for the mainline w/ a haulback.  I gotta rethink the logging process since I'm a lil crippled up now >:(.  Pullin cable through the woods by hand is kinda outta the question.  Work smarter not harder smiley_thumbsup
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Kevin

You can get a tower for the back of a tractor.
http://www.directindustry.com/prod/koller-forsttechnik/tractor-mounted-tower-yarders-57546-373073.html

You can also put a 12 volt capstan on a pickup and run rope.
Any chance of rolling the logs onto a sled and winching up the sled, you'll need snow.  :D

Cutting Edge

I would love to have one of those mini yarders!!!  But dont have that kind of money to spend.  I've been doing some research over the past year, and I've got a few ideas of my own.  Put a couple down on paper and worked out the math for building my own.  A small sled  such winch/yarder as member "Burl" has would be ideal for using as a stand alone or working in conjunction with the skidder.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21571   (Burl's Two Spool Sled) Very Nice!!!! ;D 

Not interested in using a log sled (w/ runners or wheeled), and I don't think a capstan is gonna have the power to bring up 28" x 20' oak.  I dunno, just trying to adapt. 

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Kevin

I was thinking log length for the capstan.
Will the yankee pull 5000lbs. up hill with a full drum, any idea what their limit is.
That's a lot of cable.
I have a small hill that I could use that on as well and I'm always looking for something similar to the yankee yarder.

Cutting Edge

Back to the 3 pt yarder you mentioned...again very nice...but who has a budget & workload to constitute a peice of machinery like that!  With the way the economy is right now, I'd hate to have a note on something like that.  I called about a used one out west on a trailer (sit down)....$31,000  :'(   I'm all about building you own stuff too.  Necessity is the mother of all invention as we all know.  Thats why I built/fabricated some of my own equipment.  When you're poor, a pile of steel and some time in the shop can produce some nice & functional peices!

Along the lines of this kinda set up (yankee style) ...I'm leaning towards all hydraulic.  Little more expensive initially, but so much less maintenance, and user freindly.  I've got some figures scribbled down on GPM, flow, sprocket size, line speed etc. (i guess the engineering degree is worth something)  :P  Maybe someone will stumble across this post and shed some light on it for us (and many others).

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Kevin

I have a small hill, maybe a hundred feet.
Looking at a self release snatch block to make a bend in the road and I think I can use my gas capstan and log arch.
I only have twenty or so saw logs to bring up a year so it's not worth investing a bunch of money.

fuzzybear

I built basically a yankee yarder on my skid truck.  The winch is a Bull Dog 5T industrial hand winch with high and low range. There are many of these old hand winches around. They weigh in at around 75lbs and ar very simple to use.
   I added a 7 hp vertical motor with an idler arm clutch.  3" pulley on the motor and 10" on the winch. I keep the winch set in low range.  This combo gives me about 40 rpm at the winch with an engine speed of 500 rpm.
  I'm pulling18"-24" spruce trees branches and all. By the time the log gets to the truck the branches have been 90% torn off. The idler arm clutch works very well. It lets me control the power to the winch better for the initial pull and then let it "float" for the rest of the pull, when you hit a snag you add more pressure to the "clutch"(push down a little harder) and increase the engine speed.
 The biggest tree I pulled was 38" at the butt and over 100' long. I have plans to pull the wire cable and replace it with the rope winch lines to extend my reach to 300'.
 The only thing different from a yankee yarder is that I mounted it on to the back of a pick up truck to make a mini skidder.  
  I hope this helps get the creative juices flowing.  I will try to get better pictures of the winch setup. Our new computer should be here this week.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Cutting Edge

Look forward to the newer pics FB.  How much is your drum capacity on that hand winch.  I'm gonna have to have 3/8" cable minimum.

Tried looking one up on the interent and got no info.  Found some new ones that were quite pricey though...yes the juices are flowing.

Some even had worm drive with sealed gear boxes but I imagine the line speed would be much slower than desired.  Probably burn it up by turning it to fast w/ an engine..LOL

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

rogdan

A thought, but maybe this is where you foiund the tower http://www.usedtowers.com/winches.htm
BTW I sned you a PM

Cutting Edge

Thanks for the link fellow Mountaineer!!  Some nice setups on there for sale....but way out of my budget range :'(  I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum...the more RUST exists, the better it suits my wallet ;D 

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Kevin

Cutting Edge

Well folks, after some more figurein' and calculations, I reckon the only thing left to do is just start gathering up parts and build one!  Start with an idea on a napkin and I'll see where it goes.  Already acquired several components & lacking a couple major ones.  I'll just have to see just how big of a sled ;D I'm gona need!!!!!  Thanks for the input and help so far!!!!  The math is done, now lets see how far the wallet will carry it all ???

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

jocco

This thread is awsome i will read it tonight.  teeter_totter RW be very carfull on building or re rigging something. I have wondered why there is not move of this equipment in the east. But i guess cost vrs return is the answer. pc_smiley
You may check out but you will never leave

jocco

May be  buy a 110 big tower from the west coast. With an 800hp detroit 16-92 (louder the prouder) smiley_bounce And as the saying goes GO BIG OR GO HOME smiley_hanged iN THE END YOU COULD TELL SOMEONE  MY SKY CAR HAS MORE HP THAN YOUR TRACTOR OR SKIDDER smiley_tom_tutnurhorn2
You may check out but you will never leave

Cutting Edge

Well whats planned and layed out....is not gonna be anything close to whats out west...smaller yet than a Koller 300.  Gotta keep it a manageble size for: cost, maintenance, and manuverability.  I dunno why they are scarce here in the east...in our terrain one would be ideal.  But cost vs. return always has the last say.  I'll post some pics when things get underway.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

seetheforest

BURL! 

I want to put together a sled mounted winch like yours.  What kind of winch are you using? and where'd ya get it?

I am looking to do some low impact logging - aka keep the skidder roads to a minimum.  So I want a decent reach, 300-1000 ft of wire or synthetic rope.  Also, I would love to have a 10 ton working load rating on the winch, but 2-5 ton is probably more realistic for something of that size, and that would do well enough.

I can't seem to find anything in the 5 ton range, with a decent reach, that is NOT pto mounted... and not a massive skyline set up.

Thank You Sponsors!