iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mounting a Chainsaw on a hinge

Started by seionage, February 10, 2011, 09:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seionage

Hi All,
My dad and I want to build a basic firewood processor for a summer project.

For starting out, we want to mount a chainsaw on our conveyor system.

Can someone point me in the right direction for doing something like this? Any links or pictures?

Basically,we want to mount the saw on the hinge (piviot), so we don't have to horse it around all day.

Sure, it's still going to be manual, but it will be a start in the right direction.

Thanks!

Stephen Alford

Hey seionage, sounds like a great project with your Dad.   Had one years ago .  Just a couple of thoughts. Take time to make it  " working comfortable" , that way your able to pay better attention to the safety aspect when using it.  If you and your dad are different heights there may have to be some compromise. Once you determine the height decide which way is more comfortable to move the wood (left or right). Because of the shape of a saw the mounting will be a bit different. The table was made from square tubing , with a folded piece of sheet metal (90 degrees) for setting the wood on. The ends were bent away from the direction of wood travel.  Wood size and bar length will determine the size of the top.  For a pivot on the saw a large barn door hinge, triangle shaped, was used. A piston off an old hatchback worked to return the saw to the upright position. Used a foot pedal to control saw up or down. This keeps both hands free to handle the wood.  Taking the saw off to fuel and oil was a bit of a pain. If it is a saw that will be committed to the table , a couple of tanks and run hose to the saw could probably work. Had a huskey 288, loved the way that ol saw would dance waiting to go to work.  :)
logon

seionage

Thanks for the reply.

both my dad and I are similar builds, so height won't be a problem.

I didn't think of a barn hinge.

How did you mount it on the saw?

Thanks!
Dave

Stephen Alford

Just used a plate through the handle that had a couple wing nut bolts to the hinge.  had a ubolt with wing nuts over the bottom of the handle on the front. Pretty much have to tune that stuff to your saw of choice. Good luck with your project.
logon

low_48

The Haddon Lumbermaker has a nice hinge setup. It has a U shaped clamp that has set screws that dig into the bar, and is fastened to a pivot bar. The U is big enough to clear the chain, then narrows back up around the bar. For some reason, their dealer page has the best picture of the rig.

http://www.haddontools.com/dealers.html

The micro mill has better pics.

http://www.accutechinnovations.com/id1.html

http://www.accutechinnovations.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/micromillrailsystem.jpg

fuzzybear

You might consider the Beam Machine.  It clamps to the bar and can be mounted to a 2x4.  I have done something similar in the past. It takes some work to get it set up at the proper distance from the logs, especially when you are cutting larger logs.
  It's very similar to the one in the last post but it's a bit cheaper in price.  I use mine set up to cut the ends of the beams square, like I said it takes a little to fine tune it, but for fire wood you don't have to be precise.
   If you have access to scrap metal and a welder you could make your own very simply.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

thecfarm

Seems like I remember a good size chainsaw and a long bar with just a hole drilled through the bar for a pivot.I saw this being used at a logging show.Saw was on an idle,but when needed it was just revved up and pushed up to make the cut.Very simple,I do remember that much.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AvT

This guy has a couple of uploads of somthing like you want to build.  If you look closely I think the pivot fabrication is just bolted to the bar.  These videos kept popping up when I was researching processors.  this man has two interests.  Making firewood and distilling alcohol

http://www.youtube.com/user/drmiller100#p/u
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Thank You Sponsors!