iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardest wood to make lumber from

Started by morbid fury, November 09, 2010, 05:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morbid fury

OK I now have a large pile of sawdust. I am so happy.
Anyway back to the question. Over the last few weeks I have sawn a few species up here in Maine.
Todat was quartersawn red oak....no knots all clear...hence I am so happy.
I have saw Hemlock, Birch, Maple, Oak, Ash, and the worst to cut of all of them is the Poplar.....it is like cutting taffy. It grabs the blade and makes the mill work harder than any of the wood listed.
What do you guys find is the hardest wood to mill?
If at first you don`t succed, skydiving is not for you.
Thomas 2411
Husky 266xp
Honda 850 sportsman
Thomas log Arch
Happiness is a fresh pile of sawdust

tyb525

Black or Honey Locust, White Oak, Osage Orange.

Oh, what kind of blade are you using? Poplar should cut the easiest.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

morbid fury

Agreed...thats why the mill and the metal detector are best of friends
Thomas 2411
Husky 266xp
Honda 850 sportsman
Thomas log Arch

Meadows Miller

Gday

RED,GREY AND YELLOW BOX Are about the hardest we get down here and I like sawing them   ;)  ;D  there are some other species that are hard going but are not realy cut in any volume  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

TessiersFarm

I just re-sawed (chainsaw and alaskan mill) some pressure treated southern yellow pine yesterday, and man oh man did that stuff cut hard.  I had to stop and touch up the chain every 50 feet or so, I don't know if its the chemicals they treat it with or the wood but if I do it again I'm charging extra.  The other one I don't like is cherry, seams like thats hard on blades.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

tyb525

Walnut also seems tough, at least the tough I get.

Tessier, some chemical treatments do dull blades.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Banjo picker

What we call Poplar down South is about the easiest there is...Sweetgum is easy to saw , but twists  pretty bad when drying...If you are talking just sawing, I would pick ash...for what I have sawn...You had better have your ducks in a row...set just right on both sides or it will make the blade dive...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ron Wenrich

Locust and hickory can give you fits.  If you want some real fun, wait until the logs are half frozen.  Species won't matter. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

cutterboy

I agree with Tim. Ash is hard to cut. I think the reason  is that ash is a dry wood. The moisture content of green ash is very low compared with the other species in my area. I think we all know that sawing dried wood is more difficult than green wood. So ash is like sawing wood that is half dried. Hickory can give you fits too, especially hickory with large knots.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

laffs

ash is my lesat favorite also. makes nice lookin boards . you could be sawiing fine one minute and take a 4" dive the next
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kansas

Cottonwood is one of the hardest things we have to cut. The fibers tear; they don't cut cleanly. It depends not only on the log, but on a particular face of that log. We have to run very heavy set on the blades. Once in awhile, we have to give up on a very good looking log. We have the same problem going through the edger with it.

Magicman

Hickory is my all time un-favorite.  Seasoned White Oak next.

Maybe I need to get some of those WM 7° blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

morbid fury

have a pile of white ash...cut down and on the mill in less that 2 hours....no issues at all
Thomas 2411
Husky 266xp
Honda 850 sportsman
Thomas log Arch

tyb525

I've cut several white ash logs and didn't have any problems either.

There was one dead, dry American elm that was the worst sawing log EVER! Not only did the boards come off as bananas, but the blade dived or did something weird almost every other cut. I ended getting two halfway decent boards out of one log. Mind you, these were mostly knot-free too.

backwoods sawyer

I find that all of the local hardwoods mill up very nice as long as they are green, however the butt log of an old Doug-fir can be rather unpredictable, one may mill up just fine and the next one you cannot get a saw thru it straight. Old spruce logs can give you fits as well when the fibers wrap around the gullet of even a fresh saw out of the box. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Probably my "hardest to saw" logs would be small to medium Spruce.

With all of their knots, the blade really wanders sometimes.

When the logs are dry, they're worse.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

ladylake

White ash, saws ok but not very fast. Unless I count 15 big 15 year old white oak, later I found out they were 30 years old. Hard as rock, no bark with cracks about 3" deep to collect dust. I was changing blades every 45 minutes on that job.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

Live Oak. Hardest stuff I ever put a blade in.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Papa1stuff

Live Oak is hard but very pretty lumber!! ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Bert

I'm on a circle mill, but hard maple is my least favorite. Hard, heavy, and lumpy. Cherry is best in my opinion. Poplar saws fast too but the stringy dust sometimes clogs the blower.
Saw you tomorrow!

brdmkr

Quote from: LeeB on November 10, 2010, 06:47:49 AM
Live Oak. Hardest stuff I ever put a blade in.

I've cut live oak when it was green and thought it cut pretty easily.  Once it is dry, it is an intirely different story.  Pecan is the toughest that I have had to deal with.  I sometimes wonder if some woods are easier to saw with a circle blade and others are harder with a band.  For instance, I do not consider SYP easy to saw on my Lucas (It seems to want to bind and gum up).   I prefer sawing about any green hardwood (other than pecan/hickory). 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

crtreedude

Probably the worst stuff we have cut was corteza (think ipe) that came out of an old bridge. Pure heart wood, so hard that it made sparks (no metal). We cut it with a bi-metal blade on a 20 HP Baker's.

What made it particularly painful is that we had to split some of the logs with a chainsaw, they were too wide for the Baker.  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Kansas

You just never know. I always thought soft maple has always been one of the easiest woods to cut. One time some years ago, we put a beautiful soft maple on the mill after cutting several others before it from the same batch of logs. Not a knot on the log. We went to cut. The blade dove. Figured it was just dull. Replaced the blade. It dove again. Think we went through 7 blades and still didn't have a decent opening face yet. Tried turning it and trying it. tried that. No luck. Tried another side. Same thing. We gave up and took it off the mill. Put the next soft maple on the mill and it cut perfectly. From time to time, a manufacturer would send us a blade to try. We would put it on the mill. Nothing. We tried different sets, different hook angles, whatever we could try. It kind of became an obsession to us. We got an order for a couple of beams. They did not have to be good quality. We managed to finally get the log into two of those. Blade rose and dove the whole way. Looking at the grain, we couldn't see a single reason for it. There was no curl or figure.

customsawyer

Pig nut hickory!!!  smiley_bull_stomp smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Kansas on November 10, 2010, 01:40:53 PM
You just never know. I always thought soft maple has always been one of the easiest woods to cut. One time some years ago, we put a beautiful soft maple on the mill after cutting several others before it from the same batch of logs. Not a knot on the log. We went to cut. The blade dove. Figured it was just dull. Replaced the blade. It dove again. Think we went through 7 blades and still didn't have a decent opening face yet. Tried turning it and trying it. tried that. No luck. Tried another side. Same thing. We gave up and took it off the mill. Put the next soft maple on the mill and it cut perfectly. From time to time, a manufacturer would send us a blade to try. We would put it on the mill. Nothing. We tried different sets, different hook angles, whatever we could try. It kind of became an obsession to us. We got an order for a couple of beams. They did not have to be good quality. We managed to finally get the log into two of those. Blade rose and dove the whole way. Looking at the grain, we couldn't see a single reason for it. There was no curl or figure.
Ever so often, we would come across a Doug fir that would act like that. Both saw on a double cut twin would snake to the outside of the log even though they were set to make 4" cuts on both sides of the log. Some times you could reject the log and have the cat driver turn it around and then chuck it up at 90* to the way it was and it would cut just fine, and other times it was just sent to the slabber.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Okrafarmer

Locust, pecan and hickory are the worst I have tried. Oaks are not easy, either.

Easiest: Walnut, sweetgum, red cedar, white pine, and tupelo.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

drobertson

Hickory, Hickory, and oh yea Hickory, the only thing about Hickory is the dryer the better. for me, Green Hickory and I mean ones that are over 14 in. is they just build up heat. Dry hickory cuts with plenty of coolant. Dry white oak is next, or should I say Post oak. these guys are brutal. sharp blades, plenty of coolant, the only answer I have found. Hickory on my saw, not unless it is the last log I have to cut. Love the smell, don't like the heat and wave,  these logs are the most brutal for me,  Hickory, such a pretty wood too, what a shame on me.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tyb525

Green hickory needs soap in the water or diesel, it can have a lot of sap build up

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I actually think bodark is one of my favorite woods to cut. It requires very little set and I don't think I have ever seen a wave in the lumber, dead flat every cut. My least favorite is definately pecan, next is scaly bark hickory, then pig nut, then locust. My favorite to cut is sycamore, cuts like butter without lube.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tyb525

I like cutting locust, both honey and black. It is a hard wood, but cuts nice when it is green. I like the way honey locust smells too, it's hard to describe.

bandmiller2

As mentioned it varies between logs of the same species depending on there grain and internal tension.I find any of the oaks a dream to mill,just too DanG heavy.Ash tends to lay down a deposit on the band teeth,but cuts straight.I don't mind dried hardwoods just have to slow down milling them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Larry

The only hardwood that bothers me much, is big logs with even bigger knots.  The kind of logs that should have been turned into firewood.  If pignut its triple trouble.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I saw whatever the customer has, but dry White Oak would be my least favorite.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tcsmpsi

Overall, I would say SYP.  Some woods, like dry pecan, etc. you expect to be tough, so you set up and go into it for that.  And, most of those type logs are pretty consistent throughout.  SYP, however, will be sawing along fine, have some beautiful lumber, and then you run into rich/hard/soft, and makes it the devil to keep a straight cut.

Now, cottonwood, down here saws well, but if you want a 1" board out of it, you need to cut it 4".   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Chuck White

I know that I said my least favorite to saw was small to medium Spruce, but the hardest logs I ever sawed were 3 Hickory logs that I had stored under cover, high and dry for 9 years.

We sawed them in the evening and actually saw sparks coming off the log and the feed rate was approximately 1/3 that which I run when cutting W/Pine.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Okrafarmer

I should point out that the title of the post is the "Hardest wood to MAKE LUMBER from." And sometimes we sawyers forget that sawying is not the only part of making lumber. Drying is also involved. From that perspective, let's add that in my experience, holly, cherry and persimmon are very hard to dry with nice results. I have heard it is the same for sycamore and sweetgum as well, although the sweetgum 4/4 I have milled up seems to be drying nicely under weight from other species piled on top of it. I have never tried sycamore. Funny how sometimes the species that are easy enough to mill end up being the difficult ones to dry.

The ones I have found that are both easy to mill and easy to dry include walnut, red maple, tulip poplar, red cedar, white pine, and tupelo.

But Pecan (and I assume hickory, though I haven't much experience with it), is both hard to mill and hard to dry.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

pineywoods

Think I would have to agree with TC. Syp normally cuts easily, but every once in a while I get hold of a butt cut from a big ole lightening killed syp that is as cantankerous as they come. When I use up 3 blades and 5 gallons of lube on one 12 ft log, that qualifies as difficult.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Many times, sawing and drying wows are caused by the sawyer not properly reading the log and opening the wrong face, then sometimes the log/lumber simply exerts it's authority and shows who is boss.    :-\

Thehardway

1. Seasoned live oak.  Never did finish.  Wasn't worth the blades.
2. Gum.  sawed ok but then turned into a propeller blade
3. Anything dragged down a gravel road
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cutterboy

Ash used to be my least favorite to saw even tho I love the lumber. However, this spring I sawed up a number of Shagbark Hickory logs and they are now my worst to saw. But the lumber is beautiful.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2012, 08:45:41 PM
Remember, "Pecan is the Devil".
Wise words from a wise man wdh  ;D

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Hackberry,

I should have attributed the quote to you.  You were the first to point out this fact to the unsuspecting.

(Note: Trees of the genus Celtis have given me fits in the past, too  :)).

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2012, 09:40:02 PM
(Note: Trees of the genus Cletis have given me fits in the past, too  :)).

I do believe you mean Celtis.

WDH

LeeB

only one word? are your fingers broke?  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

hackberry jake

I have had many a bother from the genius celtics in my days. The Precambrian layer is just as proposterous as the juvenile adolescent jurassic period of the late wood.
(my impersonation of wdh)  8) 8) ;D

Left Coast Chris

The worst Ive sawn was Pistacio followed by Pecan.  The Pecans were larger though and took longer.  The Devil indeed.  Not only that, but the sugars in the wood discolored it in drying.  Double trouble.  Im still trying to figure out a use for it besides firewood.

If we were talking about drying, I'd say Apple.  Yowza..... :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

WDH

Hackberry,

I don't know where to be flattered or insulted  :D.

5quarter

I have to second Chris' comment about Apple. Almost impossible to get usable lumber from, although that has not stopped me from sawing it every chance I get. you have to saw alot of Apple to get any real usable lumber, But IMO, it is worth the time. I have some applewood in my little stash you would not believe. Also, its worth noting that there is a significant difference between orchard or yard apple and wild apple growing in the woods.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

LeeB

LeeB

Okrafarmer

Quote from: 5quarter on August 26, 2012, 01:35:54 AM
I have to second Chris' comment about Apple. Almost impossible to get usable lumber from, although that has not stopped me from sawing it every chance I get. you have to saw alot of Apple to get any real usable lumber, But IMO, it is worth the time. I have some applewood in my little stash you would not believe. Also, its worth noting that there is a significant difference between orchard or yard apple and wild apple growing in the woods.
Quote from: LeeB on August 26, 2012, 01:46:13 AM
Well?

Well?  ???

Magicman

This is Tom's picture of "Apple" wood.  :)

barbender

I've sawn tamarack that I couldn't make a 2x4 out of because it would twist on the mill, but then again, this spring I sawed some tamarack that was some of the nicest sawing wood I've came across. Also, this summer I sawed a pile of mixed ash logs, black and white (actually I think it is green ash, but everyone up here calls it white) The Black Ash saws very well, but the White Ash is very dry, it was giving me fits, even with the WM 7° blades. I still need to finish that job, not really looking forward to it.
Too many irons in the fire

LeeB

The worst for me has been oak wilt killed Live Oak. The stuff is hard as a rock and will do in a blade just about as fast. Checks like craazy if you let it dry too fast and is haevy as all get out.

5quarter

Oops...thanks Okra. I read LeeBs post and thought, "well what?"

In upstate NY where I'm from, Apple grows wild everywhere. while some apples growing in pastures resemble orchard trees, many grow in mixed hardwood forests alongside the maples, cherries and pines. In that enviroment, they grow very straight and tall and shed lower branches very quick. little or no reaction wood in them. orchard or yard apple rarely if ever has a real sawlog in it and would not be worth the effort if it were almost any other tree. I happen to really love the look of applewood, but living in Nebraska now, no longer have access to good trees.  :(
   FWI when sawing apple...don't let the log sit more than a month or two. saw it right away. it white rots very fast.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

LeeB

Okrafarmer

Did you hear the one about three holes in the ground? "Well, well, well."  ::)

logboy

Hardest wood to make lumber from? The wood whose logs you overpaid for that you know you'll probably never be able to sell at a decent profit. Sawing those logs is a miserable experience.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

shelbycharger400

Dry green ash   
Its very hard on my slabber chains.
my favorite to saw is Red oak, its not as fast as pine but I might make a profit off of them.  I have been able to run through them faster but soon as you hit a Y it rides up (bows the saw bar).  I go super slow on 12 in to 20 in wide oak now, surface finish is nearly smooth with 10-60-10 grind now, rakers at 25-30 thou.  50 thou raker is too grabby at speeds im running.   

Thank You Sponsors!