iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brakes on sawmill

Started by kelLOGg, August 09, 2012, 05:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Driving home thru town after a job in the rain I skidded twice for a few feet to stop at a red light. It made me ask if I should put brakes on the mill. My MP32 weighs (I estimate) 3000 - 3500 lbs and I tow with a Dodge RAM 1500 with ABS brakes. Tires have lots of tread. My mill is stationary most of the time so brakes would accumulate sawdust so I am concerned that electric braking effectiveness could be compromised due to all the moving parts. I'm sure the larger mills must have brakes but what about us with the single axle mills in the 3000 lb range? Do you have surge, electric or disk?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

MartyParsons

Hello,
Early WM mills had surge brakes, when we service them for other things most are inoperative so I guess they would be high maintenance. The new mills have electric brakes and seem to work well.  I would think as long as you moved the wheels or mill from time to time the sawdust would fall out of the wheel.
We traded a LT70 mill that had about 2000 hours and was stationary. It was never moved from the time I set it up.  When I left the customers (down hill) and the brakes were working the sawdust was burning as it hit the road it was dark so it was getting my attention. I turned off the brakes and kept going.  I pulled the wheels when back to the shop.  No sawdust and it did not hurt the wiring, looked clean.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

drobertson

Howdy, I am not sure about N.C. laws but several states start to require around the 3000lb. range. Or if the trailer weighs more than the towing vehicle empty.  That said I have had mine on the Lt-40 since Dec.04'
I check mine Monthly.  Nothing worse than the skid that ends up with a bump.   David
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ianab

Most vehicles have 2 tow weight ratings. Braked and unbraked.

So for example a small SUV may be rated for 2,000 lb without brakes, but 4,000lb with brakes.

Probably depends what sort of driving you do too. A lot of highway driving eventually you are going to get into an emergency stop in heavy traffic. Having trailer brakes at that time usually reduces the pucker factor.

I think sitting around unused has the worst effect on brakes. Things seize up for sure. If you are moving the mill every week at least I would expect less problems than if it sat for 6 months, between moves.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Slabs

Judging by the size of your truck and the weight of your mill I believe brakes would be of great benefit.  I've pulled loads with and without trailer brakes and in a tight situation the brakes are a savior.  Yes, the installation might a bit steep but the liability could be enormous.

The thought of that MP-32 wrapped around a Volkswagon gives me the willies.  Got a soft spot for MP-32's.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Ga Mtn Man

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for an electric brake controller?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

okmulch

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on August 10, 2012, 09:04:36 AM
While we're on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for an electric brake controller?
I use a Prodigy brake controller. Had it for over ten years. Works well. I have pulled goosenecks with 20,000 lbs on it with one ton truck. No problem stopping.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: okmulch on August 10, 2012, 09:40:14 AM
I use a Prodigy brake controller. Had it for over ten years. Works well. I have pulled goosenecks with 20,000 lbs on it with one ton truck. No problem stopping.

Have the same and have had no troubles/complaints with it.

Chuck White

Quote from: MartyParsons on August 09, 2012, 06:57:55 AM
Hello,
Early WM mills had surge brakes, when we service them for other things most are inoperative so I guess they would be high maintenance. The new mills have electric brakes and seem to work well.  I would think as long as you moved the wheels or mill from time to time the sawdust would fall out of the wheel.
We traded a LT70 mill that had about 2000 hours and was stationary. It was never moved from the time I set it up.  When I left the customers (down hill) and the brakes were working the sawdust was burning as it hit the road it was dark so it was getting my attention. I turned off the brakes and kept going.  I pulled the wheels when back to the shop.  No sawdust and it did not hurt the wiring, looked clean.

Marty

My mill has Surge Brakes and they don't work.

They haven't worked since way back when I first got the mill and most likely a while before that.

I'm thinking of converting from Surge to Electric.

Has anyone done that conversion?

What would it run to get it done?

I don't know the brand right off-hand, but I do have a controller already in my truck.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave VH

I have a simple drawtight brake controller.  Same as the Reese one, just cheaper and with a different sticker on it.  Very user friendly and reliable.  I have several different trailers with electric brakes and need to change my controller intensity frequently.
  A few years ago I was towing about 10k on the highway and somewhere along the way blew a brakeline.  I found out on the off ramp trying to stop from 70mph.  My trailer brakes stepped up and brought me to a stop because I was able to adjust my controller on the fly.  The moral to the story is learn your controller, you don't know when you're really going to need it.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

kelLOGg

I have a Tekonsha (sp?) and I like it.  I think it alone would stop my truck like Dave VH said.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

shelbycharger400

hey chuck
changing from surge to electric?
change the complete axle. rewire trailer with a 6 or 7 pin  pigtail.
run the led taillights while your at it.    surge brakes are junk, leak and most likely it is rusted up

bill m

Chuck White , R.H. Scales in Albany N.Y. can help you with brakes for your mill. I have dealt with them many times and they are good.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Stephen1

i have 2 trailers with surge brakes. Service is the way to go. If you service everything they all work. Electric are better for sure. I would not think you would have to change the axle out to change to electric, just put on new electric drums and rewire.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

bill m

Quote from: Stephen1 on August 10, 2012, 06:01:39 PM
I would not think you would have to change the axle out to change to electric, just put on new electric drums and rewire.
I think the drums are the same for surge or electric. You can buy the complete backing plate assembly for about $100 per wheel.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Slabs

I like the backing plate changeout option.  Same axle, wheels and drums.  It's probably the most reliable but if you're going on the cheap, at least one axle on every mobile home has brakes and they can often be had quite reasonable.  Sometimes free.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

kelLOGg

resuming with our regular programming ... ;D adding bakes to my mill is getting complicated. I have 13" wheels and a 3500 lb axle. I cannot find a drum that fits this ... at etrailer. Do I have to change axle, wheels, tires as well as buy drums?? :(

rockman

Bob, Might be worth calling Cooks, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction in regards to what you would have to do for brakes on your MP32.
I know when I was rebuilding my Hudson brothers trailer, I called Hudson bros. gave them the serial # and they knew excatly what I had and what parts would fit it, I really like dealing with people who know thier product and want to help you out. Often times OEM is as cheap or cheaper than aftermarket in the long run. My 2 cts.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

kelLOGg

I wrote Cooks several days ago but haven't heard back yet. Guess I will follow it up w/ a call.
Thanks, Kevin
Bob

rockman

Just curious as to what you found out about your brakes. I get my curiousity froom my Mothers side.. :D

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

kelLOGg

I contacted Cook today. Apparantly, I am the first MP32 owner to ask about brakes. They arranged for me to order drums and brakes from their supplier (LuckyB) so I ordered them today. Two drums, left and right brake for 13" wheels, 3500 lb axle. E-trailer didn't list them so I thought they must be rare beasts - anyway Cook came thru for me.
Bob

kelLOGg

I got the drums and brakes and installed them Tuesday. To address my concerns about sawdust accumulating in the drums I am thinking about wrapping fabric around the gap between the backing plate and the drum. Remove it when I saw away from home which is not frequent. What do you think would be an easily wrapped material - I thought of panty hose :o. I know, I can hear the jokes now. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. I read on another forum of a guy who painted his trailer pink (he showed a picture) because it had been stolen before and he wanted to make it unattractive. So stranger things have been done. ;)

Bob

Magicman

Those new brakes look good.   smiley_thumbsup

An occasional blowing out with a leaf blower does wonders. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2012, 02:24:55 PM
An occasional blowing out with a leaf blower does wonders.

Give me the dope slap award. I have one at the mill to blow it off after every day of sawing.

Thank You Sponsors!