iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stickers and more stickers

Started by pineywoods, May 17, 2010, 11:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I think all sawyers hate making stickers. Most of us edge flitches on the mill and save the cut-off edges for stickers, cutting to length with skillsaw, chopsaw, etc. Tedious and not very productive. Recently got an order for several thousand 5 ft stickers to be cut from bug killed pine. Here's how we set up to mass produce them. Square up the log, then saw 1 inch through and through, width un-important, what ever the log will make. Then stand the boards on edge and clamp tightly. note the side boards stacked alongside.

Measure off 5 ft and 10 ft points and cut a 2  1/4 inch slot across the top of the boards. skillsaw works fine here.

Saw off the top of the boards in 1 inch increments, yeilding 30 stickers per pass

Stack on pallets and band, 375 per pallet .

4 down, 28 more to go.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

stonebroke

customsawyer

"Stick" with it you will get-er-done. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

That's basically how we do it here, except we don't cut to length or band them.

Usually there will be a wagon or trailer on site and when we stack the lumber on it, we'll just leave a space between two of the piles and then we'll rip some out and put them in that gap/space.

We never actually received a sticker order, except for enough to sticker the job that we were doing at the time.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Rarely have I ever "made" stickers seems their a byproduct of edgeing and the lumber is sold the stickers stay.Found the best legnth to be 4',all stuck piles 4' wide.Also cut 6x6x4' dunage to go between the lifts so the forklift will handle them.Usally pine stickers, have a pile of pople for the real good stuff.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

Here's the first shipment, end result of 3 days of sawing on 2 mills. 20 bundles, somewhere around 8000 stickers. Now that's not 3 full days, had to take time out to make pallets, coffee breaks, nap breaks, etc. Bug killed pine is just about ideal, very very dry, straight logs with very little taper, almost no knots.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

metalspinner

I was gonna ask if wet pine would give you problems with mold.

The pine we cut last week already looks green here. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pineywoods

Quote from: metalspinner on May 20, 2010, 07:15:32 PM
I was gonna ask if wet pine would give you problems with mold.

The pine we cut last week already looks green here. ::)

You betcha... This stuff was extreemly dry, been laying in the log yard almost a year. By the time a bug killed pine dies, there's almost no moisture left in the wood.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

I like your stick-to-it-ivity   :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

how did you charge for that? by the stick I would suppose?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Radar67

I made a few sticks like that when I first got my mill, cut them out of poplar and got 40ยข a piece for them.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pineywoods

Quote from: LeeB on May 20, 2010, 11:52:14 PM
how did you charge for that? by the stick I would suppose?

probably by the stick, but maybe by the board foot. I got involved to help out another sawyer who had the logs, but bit off more than he had time to chew. Customer wanted them in a hurry. There's 2 commercial woodmizer operations within a couple of miles of me. We swap logs, lumber, saw time, blades, parts, whatever. All 3 of us same age, grew up together, we've helped each other since we were kids.

ljmathias

You could call it a whack of stickers, or if there for wooden discipline sticks for kids, maybe a stack of whackers...

sorry about that. ::)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: ljmathias on May 21, 2010, 02:48:09 PM
You could call it a whack of stickers, or if there for wooden discipline sticks for kids, maybe a stack of whackers...

sorry about that. ::)

Lj

Or even a whack of whackers...

But that's starting to sound an awfull lot like a Roger Miller song...

DanG it!  :D

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!