Started by rjwoelk, September 14, 2015, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

I have my choicen of sticker material. Which should be number 1
Western hemlock
Birch
Jack pine
The stickers are for 2 x  and 1x material
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

fishfighter

To me, what ever is on hand. I has a big pile of pine and oak now, but I just cut for myself at this time. It's a Dang shame I just chunk them in a pile, knowing better that I should stack them. ;D

drobertson

This is very touchy for me, mainly because most of what I sticker and sell I never see again.  I will say they need to be dry whatever the species, and uniform in thickness.  I have stickered piles with both dry oak and pine, with no complaints.  What needs to be considered in my case is my friend and woodworker, a craftsman, said all has turned out fine, the rest mostly goes up pretty soon after sawing for siding.  I do know that things change in the timing with others plans, so doing a good sticker job is in my opinion very critical, takes more time but makes a better finish product for who ever it's for.  I still have some 2x oak laying, as well as cedar and pine, all stickered, but laying since mid summer, so just keep this in mind.  Also a good weight on top should be recommended at your site or the customers.  Drying takes time if not going up in a quick build, and sun light takes its toll on the top layer for sure.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bkaimwood

I hate to admit it but I buy, yes buy, a product from the lumber yard...sheets of osb, slathered with whatever stain or water repellent laying around, and cover the stack to keep from loss in top rows...sticker the sheet as well.the top row of lumber is usually worth much more than the 6.99 I paid for the sheet...and its reusable for years...I use pine stickers, just cause I am trying to squeeze the most out of all my logs...in time, I hope to be using the same species as the stickered product...Rome wasn't built in a day...
bk

Brad_S.

I prefer hardwood stickers so I would go with birch. I also routed a U channel in mine to minimized surface contact and minimize the chance of sticker stain. A lot of work but a power feeder makes it easier.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

woodmills1

I unstacked a pile last week that had stickers I have used at least 5 times in 10 years.  They are hemlock, it is tough and seems to hold up well over time.  I use mine green rough the first time and if possible plane them for second use.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WV Sawmiller

RJ,

I have not cut western hemlock but I cut some eastern (?) hemlock here in WV a few weeks ago and cut the client some 1"X2"x16' nailing strips and they were bad to break because of the knot placement. Any tree that sprouts limbs every 2' for so is going to give you problems breaking when that thin/narrow.

I mostly use/salvage the tops out of my tulip poplars which is the trees I mostly cut off my place. The tops which are not long enough or big enough to provide good lumber often still yield good 1"X1"X4' long stickers.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Knute

I would also vote for birch. In my area, I prefer oak, cherry or maple but have also used poplar.

rjwoelk

Thanks fellows for the info.  I am in the process of building a log cabin, 8 x10 dovetail corners, and have lots of hemlock , clear no nots,
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Warped

Cool, we'll expect lots of pics.....ever seen a blind dovetail joint?
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

rjwoelk

Once we have it up, we are taking pic as we go, I pan on making a pic story . It has been very trying, frustrating, but I know it will be worth it. I have already had to get out the wood stretcher,  yup, cut it twice and still too short. Lol

Thank You Sponsors!