iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade suggestions for old Douglas Fir??

Started by IamSherwood, December 22, 2011, 09:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamSherwood

Hi
I have a bunch of 10" x 16" x 14Ft old railway bridge timbers. Douglas Fir.
My bandsaw, Norwood 2000, uses 1 1/4" x 144" blades.
I cut one up so far, useing the Norwood Goldline Premium blade.
It was a big effort to cut.
Is there a better blade I could use?
Carbide tipped?

It is possible, that I might find the odd nail in these timbers.

Thanks
If you're lucky enough to live on blue water, you're lucky enough by me.-Scott Kirby

Ohio_Bill

You might try Woodmizer's   razor tip stellite blades.

If you do a search I think there was a post on these blades . I have not used them but from what I here they are forgiving .  I have used there 4 deg and had good luck with them .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

buildthisfixthat

lenox 3/4 1.5-1.7 vari tooth -vari pitch will cut them timbers niceley yes they cost around 100.00 bucks but they are made in u.s.a. and will out last any cheap import  blade ...and you can enjoy cutting right through those nails ..instead of changing cheap junk import dull flimsey blades ...that aint worth a pith hole in the snow ,...any who lenox blades the way to saw did i mention they are made in u.s.a.     

shop built bandsaw mill

buildthisfixthat

call our sponsor menominee saw they have the lenox bi metal 3/4 0.42 1- 1/4 blades they are awsome
shop built bandsaw mill

Brucer

Normally I use 10 degree blades on Douglas-Fir. However, for wide, dry stuff like that, I'd be inclined to use 7 degree blades -- you wouldn't want to use these with less than about 20 HP.

The stellite tipped blades are good for mildly abrasive material. They do NOT like rocks and nails. I'd only use them if regular blades were getting dull quickly.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

Build&fix,are those vari-pitch bands hard to sharpen ?? I hope theirs not different pitches and gullet shapes on the same band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

IamSherwood

Thanks for the input.
I've done more reading/searching.
I'm sorta leaning towards the bi-metal Lenox.

Does anyone know where I can get those in Canada?

Thanks
If you're lucky enough to live on blue water, you're lucky enough by me.-Scott Kirby

IamSherwood

Does anyone have any opinions on these Cobaltized blades from Norwood.

Long Link

buildthisfixthat

Quote from: IamSherwood on December 22, 2011, 09:00:14 PM
Hi
I have a bunch of 10" x 16" x 14Ft old railway bridge timbers. Douglas Fir.
My bandsaw, Norwood 2000, uses 1 1/4" x 144" blades.
I cut one up so far, useing the Norwood Goldline Premium blade.
It was a big effort to cut.
Is there a better blade I could use?
Carbide tipped?

Thanks
shop built bandsaw mill

buildthisfixthat

do you have any picts of the timbers also what promblems did you have with the nor wod blades that made cutting a big effort ? are you doing market research for nor  wood industerse?
shop built bandsaw mill

IamSherwood

Quote from: buildthisfixthat on December 24, 2011, 02:37:23 PM
do you have any picts of the timbers also what promblems did you have with the nor wod blades that made cutting a big effort ? are you doing market research for nor  wood industerse?

No, not doing market research.
Just asking a few questions, and hoping to get some answers that will help me
in dealing with my situation.

redbeard

The colbalt blue  blades Norwood advertises for cutting reclaim wood look like the ticket. If the bridge timbers have creosote it makes it alot tougher. Learned my lesson on doing that. Never again. I use lennox carbides they work good on the old growth DF beams I have I avoid hitting metal but they do go right through 16 penny on down nails. There is not alot of set on them so they will deflect a little on the hard knots.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

IamSherwood

Thanks redbeard.
No creosote. The one I've tried was just very hard. After I had sliced it up, I went back to
some cherry logs, with the same blade, and it cut normally.
I've ordered a cobaltized blade. We'll see how it goes with that.

Thank You Sponsors!