iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best tools for log furniture

Started by True North, September 05, 2010, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

I am looking at tool kits for log furniture and was wondering what the best is for getting started.  What sizes would you need to do beds, tables, chairs, etc.  I'd like to start as economically as possible. Any suggestions?

woodbowl

I just bought the multi cutter with 4 different sizes from logtenoncutters.com . So far they work well. I was told from the seller that a 2" tenon is good for a bed, not that a 1 1/2" can't be used, but 2" is best. There are others out there. I'm interested in the router setup as well. What kind of tool kits have you been looking at?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

True North

I have looked at both the router setup and the cutters that go on a drill. Not sure which is better.

Jeff

2" and a 3/4" Forstner bit, drill motor, a hatchet, a couple chisels, a good handsaw, some rope for use as clamps and tourniquets and maybe a drawknife.  That's all I used for my last two projects.

Oh, and a sawmill can come in handy too.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

low_48

I have the single cutter, tenon cutters from Lee Valley. I don't have the large sizes, but use a 3/4" for chairs. It works really well. It will even cut a tenon on a flat board if you saw it so the tenon area is square. You can use that for making arms for rocking chairs.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&cat=1,180,42288&p=45539

barbender

That bed is sharp Jeff. One of my buddies built a bunch of log furniture using just hole saws, forstner bits, and a band saw for the tenons. The tenons look neat that way, faceted like you had drawknifed them.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!